Did You Lower Your Standards?

Options
Hello. I've lost 80 lbs in the past 16 months. I'm 5'3 and weigh 155 currently. I've put on a good amt of muscle esp in my arms and legs, and I'm told I look more like 130. I can wear a size 8 and in scrubs I can wear a small. My goal has always been 145 (still "overweight" by BMI) and I am going to get a tummy tuck next year some time. My issue now is that I'm really tired and basically over being on a calorie deficit and keeping this up. I just want to go to maintenance and focus on fitness (I run, do some other cardio and strength train on my days off.) But I'd have to cut myself short of my goal. Has anyone 're evaluated their goal ? Do you regret it ?

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Take a month, eat at maintenance and re-evaluate. You can always get back to a deficit, and your body will be happy to get some more food.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,000 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Take a month, eat at maintenance and re-evaluate. You can always get back to a deficit, and your body will be happy to get some more food.

+1

When I hit my first goal (15 kg loss), that's exactly what I did. It was great! But I also found that rather than eating all the food I thought I was going to eat, I ended up eating a lot of salads and steamed veggies and chicken and the things I had been eating all along. Plus a few extras, but not overboard.

And then at the end of that month, I eased back into the swing of things and lost another 8 kg. :)

• kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    After losing 60lb I took a 6 week maintenance break. After losing so much weight I needed time to get used to my new body and let my body image catch up, then I could more realistically reassess my goals. I still logged everything.

In my opinion taking a maintenance break is a good idea. I got to practice maintenance (I've always lost weight then immediately regained).

I have now decided to switch back to a deficit and lose a bit more.
  • alien_type0
    alien_type0 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

That's the most brilliant thing I've heard.

In my opinion I think you should keep pushing, but I'm the type prone to being in a rut. Another thing, if you want to get a tummy tuck you should get your weight down as far as you can so you can have a total final result.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I constantly re-evaluate my goal(s) whether I'm losing or maintaining. Life isn't a constant and neither are my goals.

As regards target weight I lost my initial weight in one go but then adjusted downwards in a series of diet / maintenance phases.

Whether you aim for a "diet break" to refresh yourself mentally and physically or this becomes the end point doesn't have to be decided now.

Good points above regarding letting your body image catch up but also about preparing for your tummy tuck. Would also add your skin continues to catch up with your weight loss at maintenance.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

I agree. This makes a load of sense.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am an inch smaller than you and was 155 at my heaviest - take some time out and then get back to eating at deficit again, or have a smaller more manageable deficit at least until you are in a healthier bmi bracket.

I'm 133 now and probably look 125lbs as I'm very muscly/fit now so I do get what you're saying about perhaps not needing to lose more.

It took me a long time getting to goal but it was definately worth the ups and downs along the way.

Well done on a huge loss to date! :smile:
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'3" (52 years old) and my first goal was 138. When I got there I had to adjust because I was still not looking how I wanted to look. I kept going. Now I am at 127 and I'm in maintenance. I'm in a size 2 in woman's pants now (that was NOT my intention BTW....I just wanted to be around 4/6/8 in clothes). Get this though. I still have fat of more then an inch when I pull at the middle of my tummy (to the side of my belly button) despite cardio for 9 months and weight training for 6 months. I am just going to eat at maintenance now until January at which time I will see how it would be best to get rid of that last bit of fat. Absolutely annoying!!! So yes, goals keep changing. I think the advice of taking a break for a month or so is the best advice I've seen.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'd have to cut myself short of my goal. Has anyone 're evaluated their goal ? Do you regret it ?

I am still not at my original goal weight I had in my mind. It is still there, but I have gone to maint and I enjoy life more. If I get months I want to trim more I will, but I am pretty happy where I am. I don't feel I let myself down, but being more reasonable about it, I am happier and still healthier.

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think we all adjust our goal as we get closer to the weight we're happy at. For me, it was realizing that I'm happier at 120-125# than my original 130# goal. That came with the realization that I just was NOT going to be able to build the kind of muscle I used to be able to build by lifting. (I have some orthopedic injuries that make it impossible to do more than body weight exercise.)

If you think you're going to be happy with maintaining where you're at, take a bit of time off trying to lose. Maybe you can start working on your fitness goals and doing less worrying about a number on the scale?
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'3" (52 years old) and my first goal was 138. When I got there I had to adjust because I was still not looking how I wanted to look. I kept going. Now I am at 127 and I'm in maintenance. I'm in a size 2 in woman's pants now (that was NOT my intention BTW....I just wanted to be around 4/6/8 in clothes). Get this though. I still have fat of more then an inch when I pull at the middle of my tummy (to the side of my belly button) despite cardio for 9 months and weight training for 6 months. I am just going to eat at maintenance now until January at which time I will see how it would be best to get rid of that last bit of fat. Absolutely annoying!!! So yes, goals keep changing. I think the advice of taking a break for a month or so is the best advice I've seen.

It very well could be just extra skin. I have lost 88 pounds, from 230 to 142lbs, wearing a size 6 pants, I still have a lot of belly, showed my doctor and he said that is all skin not fat. So keep that in mind.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the take a break thought. I have done that on and off through my journey. I get burnt out on "dieting" so I take a maintenance break for a month or so and then get back at it. It has worked great for me.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I tried for one day to be at maintenance and it just felt wrong, lol. I literally picked back up the next day with a better mentality. 9 pounds to go is nothing compared to the 80 I already lost. I'm going to focus more on my running and let myself eat back some exercise calories. I'll still lose, but at a slower weight probably.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

+1
    Losing weight is hard and can take a mental and physical toll after a while. It's obvious you don't want to give up your goal, so until you become absolutely convinced it's the right thing and you won't ultimately be disappointed in yourself, then just a maintenance break for a specified time, then reassess how you feel about your original goal.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people come to realize that the number on the scale isn't near as important as how you feel and how happy you are with the way your body looks and how clothes fit. I know some people who never even weigh themselves because they don't want to give that number power over them. If you are happy with where you are for now there is no reason you shouldn't bump it up to maintenance and focus your energy on fitness rather than weight loss.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    I think a lot of people come to realize that the number on the scale isn't near as important as how you feel and how happy you are with the way your body looks and how clothes fit. I know some people who never even weigh themselves because they don't want to give that number power over them. If you are happy with where you are for now there is no reason you shouldn't bump it up to maintenance and focus your energy on fitness rather than weight loss.

Ill never be happy with my body until a tummy tuck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i think setting some arbitrary number on the scale as your goal is...well...arbitrary.

i'm heavier than I thought i would be at my desired level of BF (around 12% for maintenance)..but i'm at my desired level of BF so who the feck cares about the scale if I'm where I'm supposed to be otherwise? the number on the scale is made up of a lot of things...understanding that would help you to understand that you're not necessarily lowering your standards....your current standard is just some arbitrary number.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I've been chasing the last 3 pounds for over a year. But that's stopped me from gaining at least, so I don't think I will give up entirely. I just don't sweat it if I eat at maintenance some days and keep a small 800-1500 weekly deficit when possible.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I think whatever makes you happy is the answer, as long as you're healthy and active.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling similar just now. I set out with an original goal of getting back to a UK size 14, around 150 ish lbs. I'm 5'1 (2 on a good day).

When I set that goal I was in a place where I was fed up of yoyo dieting and binge eating and was really unhealthy after having my second baby and packing on the weight then. I just wanted to get to a size I could remember being happy at and had been able to maintain easily and this was it.

I'm starting to get back into my size 14s and I reckon I'm about 10lbs off Everything fitting me again. I have mixed emotions about carrying on with losing. I'm finding it much easier than I ever imagined so I think why not carry on?

I probably will be having a maintenance break soon anyway, as my routine will change from being quite active to sitting down all day between November and Christmas. I can't see myself cutting my calories to accommodate this! So I plan on a break and reevaluating in the new year. I had an accidental maintenance break in the summer anyway and came on through so I'm not too worried about being able to get on the bandwagon again if I stopped.