Shorter Daylight Hours in the Northeast Issues

Options
I am struggling with the lack of daylight when I get home from work. I want to put my PJ's on and sit in front of the idiot box when I get home. I miss my hour long walks before the days got shorter. I am also craving more carbs in the evening. Anyone else going through this? It's going to be a long winter!!!

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone DVDs - walk right in your living room. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When I didn't have a daylight option, I still went out after dark for walks and runs. I just made sure I was wearing reflective clothing so cars could see me.

I know it's not ideal, but it can be done.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes, I am hermitting/hibernating already.

I think the answer is to have a small meal while you're out, at say 4-5pm, and just not go home until you've done whatever it is that needs doing. Gym, working at a coffee shop, whatever. Going home is the end of everything.

(I'm otherwise biting my tongue on this because I'll never stop if I really start. But I want to just say quickly that I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate this season. "Season" being the point at which the sun sets at a stupid time.)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    And Vitamin D drops, and paying attention to lighting at home. And never saying no to a social invitation. And making a point of scheduling evening activities so that you make sure you have a reason to go out.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with SAD as long as I can remember. A few things that help me:

-Vitamin D (I take it October through March or April)
    -A light box (I have a Verilux Happy Light that I turn on and sit with at night. Placebo? IDK, but I like it)
    - Exercise. I pack my gym back in the AM and go straight there after work so I don't have a chance to get in my PJs.
    - Pre logging my food for the day
    - Meal planning

Good luck. It's a tough season!
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use a light box too. It really works for me.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping lots of squash and stews help my winter carb cravings this year...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you live in a safer area and have sidewalks, you can walk at night. If it's too cold, join a gym and walk on a treadmill. Don't let the inclement weather stop you. Find a way!