I'm skinny fat and new to fitness

Options
For starters, I am 5'7" female who weighs 117 pounds. I am "skinny fat." Squishy around my love handles, back, and tummy. I am trying to get fit...and "tone" up.

How many calories a day should I be eating to obtain this goal? And will the following at home workout help me obtain this? How many times per week should I do this and how much cardio should I incorporate into my week? I don't care about the scale or my weight, I just want to look like the hot chicks on Pinterest!

Workout:

Circuit 1 X2
10 pull ups
30 sec mountain climbers
15 reverse fly

Circuit 2 X2
50 Russian twists
15 leg raises
16 crow push up

1 min rest

Circuit 3 X2
25 weighted squats
20 single leg bridge/leg with Dumbbells
45 sec plank all sides

Circuit 4 X2
16 dumbbell crossover punch sit-up
20 lunge with twist/rotating sides
15 Sumo squats

5 min stretch & posture exercise

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Can you actually do all of the exercises listed above? 10 pull-ups and 16 crow push-ups are pretty difficult, and 25 weighted squats? Sounds like a little too much volume, not enough weight. Why not try some strength training (SL 5x5, starting strength, NROL?) The above would be more of a circuit...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Do you know your current body fat%?
  • breanna_mcmillen
    breanna_mcmillen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can do it, just didn't know if I was wasting my time with it or if it would accomplish my goals. I'll definitely be reading up on what you suggested. Will those workout on SL 5x5 help strengthen my core area as well or do I need to add ab exercises?
  • breanna_mcmillen
    edited October 2015
    Options
    And my body fat percent is 18.87
  • breanna_mcmillen
    Options
    And I should have added that I do modified versions of some of the exercises listed above. And most of the time I have to cut the reps down.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    And my body fat percent is 18.87

then yes, you should run a bulk.

I would suggest getting on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, all pro beginner routine, etc.

you need to eat in a 250 calorie surplus and set your macros to .6 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and fill in rest with carbs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I can do it, just didn't know if I was wasting my time with it or if it would accomplish my goals. I'll definitely be reading up on what you suggested. Will those workout on SL 5x5 help strengthen my core area as well or do I need to add ab exercises?

Yes, squats and deadlifts work your core, you can add a little more core exercises if you wish, but would only be needed if that is the weak link in the chain of movement. Ab exercises will not help you "tone" your mid section, just strengthen the muscle under the layer of fat.

I would also suggest you set your calories at maintenance, and look into a heavy lifting program, such as strong lifts, or starting strength, new rules of lifting and strong curves are good heavy lifting beginner programs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You can also look into Strong Curves... a lot more focus on the lower half of the body.

If you don't mind eating more calories, than you can do cardio a few times a week if you want. I also tend to add in some flexibility training, but that is because I have some reoccurring issues. But keep in mind, that rest is important for muscle recovery and growth.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just curious & not trying to be disrespectful... BF around 18-19% shouldn't count as skinny fat, right (I thought 28-30% does)? Otherwise I really have to redefine myself in my current status... :neutral:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just curious & not trying to be disrespectful... BF around 18-19% shouldn't count as skinny fat, right (I thought 28-30% does)? Otherwise I really have to redefine myself in my current status... :neutral:

I would agree, though she may have that little muscle and her BF% estimate is quite a bit off (lower than it really is)
  • Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and 119lbs. But my body fat was 29% :s

Slight hijack sorry, but I'm just starting out with heavy lifting, I love deadlifts and squats! I'm not counting calories or macros but wondering if I'll see better results if I do? I'm meeting my daily protein goals though. I've been at this weight for 20 years so I *think* I'm naturally eating at or near maintenance? Should I be eating more on exercise days though?

I do circuit training once a week (mostly body weight) and lifting twice a week. I can already see a difference, everything feels more solid and I can actually feel 'core strength' if that makes sense!

I'm interested to see what my body fat is now but going to wait another month or two. I've just ordered strong curves - I've never enjoyed the gym until I tried compound lifts!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Dula73 wrote: »

Slight hijack sorry, but I'm just starting out with heavy lifting, I love deadlifts and squats! I'm not counting calories or macros but wondering if I'll see better results if I do? I'm meeting my daily protein goals though. I've been at this weight for 20 years so I *think* I'm naturally eating at or near maintenance? Should I be eating more on exercise days though?

I do circuit training once a week (mostly body weight) and lifting twice a week. I can already see a difference, everything feels more solid and I can actually feel 'core strength' if that makes sense!

I'm interested to see what my body fat is now but going to wait another month or two. I've just ordered strong curves - I've never enjoyed the gym until I tried compound lifts!

pleas start your own thread and we can offer assistance in that thread.
  • Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will do, I just thought as I'm same weight/height and a skinny fat newbie too the answers might have been of interest to the OP. Apologies.

I'll head over to fitness and start a thread as I have another question too.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Dula73 wrote: »

The comparison probably depends on whether you both used the same method to measure and what method it was. Body fat estimates with scales, callipers etc. can be out by as much as 9%.

P.s strong curves is awesome!