Need Recipe Ideas (lactose intolerance)

Options
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some entree recipes to cook for my husband who is lactose intolerant and also very allergic to tomatoes and strawberries. Preferably nothing too fancy, my culinary skills are pretty limited. Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What do you like to cook?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oven Fried Chicken That Tastes Like Deep Fried! Way Healthier - Easy Clean Up! by Rockin Robin
    Oven fried chicken:
    6 to 8 pieces of chicken thighs
    1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (see recipe below if needed) -- Check that the bread crumbs do not have dairy
    1/4 cup white flour
    1 egg, beaten
    butter or margarine
    salt and pepper
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-WEdqJBXoQ
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply RodaRose, I'll check out more of this lady's videos!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I just bought a pressure cooker with a timer. Yesterday morning I threw in a cup of rice, 2 cups of chicken broth, a bag of frozen vegetables and 4 skinless chicken thighs and seasoned with Goya Adobe. I came home to a hot and ready meal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A lot of entree recipes are tomato based. I came across this recipe yesterday. If you make up a big batch of this (maybe make a small batch first until you get the hang of it), you can have it ready as a substitute.

http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-nomato-sauce-tomato-free-tomato-sauce-359835

Milk and cheese is a little easier to avoid in recipes. The big substitution you will have to work around are the recipes that finish off with a little broiled cheese on top. You may simply skip this.

Here's a vegan au gratin topping that you can substitute, using cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt.

http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-zucchini-gratin/
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Cabot cheese is lactose free, btw.

Check out any recipe blogs and make swaps as needed. No tomato, just put in roasted red peppers.

www.skinnytaste.com
    www.slenderkitchen.com
    www.cookinglight.com
    www.eatingwell.com
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Beef stew, Roast pork loin with sweet potatoes, Shrimp and broccoli stir fry, Some other meat and veg stir fry, grilled steak baked potato and salad, white chili, fish tacos with avocado and salsa verde, baked salmon and roasted veggies, grilled pork chops applesauce and kasha salad, chicken marsala, roast chicken and rice with mushroom gravy...

Those seem like pretty easy restrictions to work around to me.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have substituted pumpkin puree for tomato sauce in a few recipes like chili and it was really good.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Meat, potato, veg :)

For variety, mix and match your meats, starches, and vegetables.
  • Ashtoretet
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone!
  • GreenHeather2014
    GreenHeather2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It depends on the sorts of foods your husband likes to start with. I'm lactose intolerant, but my diet is mainly Japanese/Chinese, so it's not an issue for me. These cultures almost never use dairy, or tomatoes or strawberries, incidentally. Does he like chicken teriyaki? Beef with broccoli? Maybe a wok could be your new best friend in the kitchen. A lot of Asian dishes are 'one pot' - meaning just made with a wok or simmered all together in a dutch oven. They're pretty easy.
  • Ashtoretet
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations, vinegar_husbands! I will look into the squash

@GreenHeather2014 Unfortunately he's not a big Asian food person, that was my first thought as well. He loves American, Tex Mex, and Italian..all full of dairy and tomatoes. Usually he just suffers, but I'm thinking his constant indigestion is what's making it harder for him to control his hunger so I need to find better options.