The Fair! Deep Fried Everything! Taking Bets...

Options
My work is awesome and is letting us go to the fair next week for Organizational Day. I'm allotting myself $20 to spend on fair food. My guess is I can probably eat 4,000 calories with $20. What do you think?

(I've lost 40 lbs so far and willing to indulge to my heart's desire on this one, splendid day a year...well, that and Thanksgiving and Christmas)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun time!! I love Fair Food!! I will be there with you in spirit :)
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Fair food is the best!! Have fun :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My work is awesome and is letting us go to the fair next week for Organizational Day. I'm allotting myself $20 to spend on fair food. My guess is I can probably eat 4,000 calories with $20. What do you think?

(I've lost 40 lbs so far and willing to indulge to my heart's desire on this one, splendid day a year...well, that and Thanksgiving and Christmas)

Based on your losing 40 pounds, I'll take the under. You've probably gotten so used to eating less (or properly) you'll have to stop before you get to that excess.
  • preyaticintent
    preyaticintent Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Went to my fair this past weekend. Allowed myself 2 fried oreos and a lemonade. But it was so good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Are we betting that you theoretically can eat 4000 calories on $20 (i.e. it's possible to purchase food with that many calories)? Or that you will eat them?

How do you plan to get the calorie counts of the fair food? I doubt they will provide nutritional information.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Are we betting that you theoretically can eat 4000 calories on $20 (i.e. it's possible to purchase food with that many calories)? Or that you will eat them?

How do you plan to get the calorie counts of the fair food? I doubt they will provide nutritional information.

don't think the OP was meant to be taken that seriously...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I think that would get you you 2 fried oreos and a turkey leg at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (my last "fair" experience to gauge prices.

The fried oreos are much better than the fried peanut butter cups...(if you were deciding between the 2).
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think it can be done!! Start slow and don't give up :)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about how much you can buy with $20... A bag of mini donuts and a drink and $20 is gone here. But, since a bag of mini donuts is about 1 jillion calories, you just may do it!

I'm thinking if you're budgeting 4000 cals, then you should totally take $40 just to be safe. ;)

Good luck and enjoy ALL the fried fat food! It's soooo damn tasty! mmmmmmm

(just a wee bit jelly)

(where "wee" = "totally")
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I went to the Iowa State Fair. I estimate I ate 3500 calories that day, BUT, I also burned 2800 calories, so really only a net of +700, I was still below maintenance for the week. I recommend splitting things with someone. Here's what I had:

Lemonade
    Deep fried snickers
    Philly
    Corn brat
    Walking lamb taco
    Lamb kebob

And it was worth every calorie.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    $20 won't get you 4k calories at the fair. 3,000 tops. John is right about the fried oreos though. Take those over fried ANYTHING else. If there are Krispy Kreme burgers, get one of those as well. You will not be disappointed. I think one of those are roughly 2,000 calories but costs about $12 (at the Alabama National Fair it did anyways).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIqoan2Bp-7pIRGsrkxARiK1WkjY4Y_qAQUPHaSNvlcnaPPYgQJw
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    8ffd8b1e292d97550b50da36ed9c1068261ac8dcdf3fb7445755f7418401d30f.jpg
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Sheeeesh. I could eat 4,000 calories in elephant ears, and probably not more than 3. :) I smother them in melted butter and then dump powdered sugar on top. Yeah, maybe even just two. LOL
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Texas State Fair for me this weekend! Well, again. Gotta get my corn dog and funnel cake fix! I think that ended up being about 2000 for me on $20. But I didn't have the fried tres leche cake, nor did i see the fried brownies from last year, which was sad because those were AMAZING!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I think the funnel cake is still the best calorie per dollar value at the fair. It's generally not as tasty as some of the fancy oddities but it packs in 750 - 1000 calories per plate at a much lower price.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Sounds like 1 day of fun. Jelly
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I went to the Iowa State Fair in August. I'm not sure about your fair, but food is expensive. Still, I had way more than 4,000 calories.

Here is what I remember:

-Funnel Cake
    -jalapeno corn dog w/ nacho cheese
    -Loaded Nachos
    -Turkey Leg
    -120 fl. oz. of various craft beers and hard ciders
    -Pork Chop (on a stick, of course)

**I would have eaten much more, but the lines are too long and if I at as much as I wanted, I would just spend all day in line while I want to see/do stuff.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I think the funnel cake is still the best calorie per dollar value at the fair. It's generally not as tasty as some of the fancy oddities but it packs in 750 - 1000 calories per plate at a much lower price.

Not as tasty? Blasphemy! Funnel cake is one of the best fair foods ever. Of all time! XD

I usually look through to see what won the fried food contests and see if there's anything good. One year I had chicken fried bacon. And despite being a bit more peppery than I like, was pretty good.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    mmm deep fried kit kat! OOO and deep fried cookie dough is pretty darn delicious too... just very rich and you can't eat very much of it!