Ex dancer on a weightloss mission :D

Hello everyone,

I am a 27yo pharmacist and have gained weight during the last two years (about 30 pounds to be precise). I'm 5'8'' and my normal weight is about 140-150 lbs and I am quite happy with that weight, because I have defined muscles from dancing.
Currently I weight 180 and I feel very unhappy about it. I decided to lose all of the extra weight by eating less, exercising and keeping this food diary.

I would like to share something I learned over the years. I used to play basketball (for 11 years), then popular dances, belly dance, even pole dance, and have periods where i gain about 20 pounds and lose it again. I used to feel never skinny enough and never satisfied with my own weight, and in periods where i did reach my target weight (about 135-140 at the time) I got comments from people, why don't you keep up now and reach 120? Why don't you do this or that?

What I want to say to you is this-

1. It is ok to set a normal weight goal for yourself that is comfortable for you and is above the 'ideal' body weight for a few pounds. For example, I know I am not capable of maintaining a weight of 120 lbs. I like to eat and it would be too hard for me to do. I would feel hungry and unhappy all the time and I am just not ready for all the work to maintain it.

I would be just as happy with 140. It's alright, maintainable, I can still eat and look normal/lean.

2. It's ok to give yourself time to change. Nothing that comes fast stays like that for long. You have to invest time and energy for a new way of looking at things/food, for healing perhaps some emotional problems you have with food and your body. Don't hurry.

3. You have the right to love your body even in times when you don't like something about it. Love is not earned, it is given for free.

Well, that's about it. Wish me luck! I hope you all meet your weight loss goals and if anyone wants to chat and share thoughts and feelings about their journey I would be happy to respond <3

Replies

• zebras1977
    zebras1977 Posts: 28 Member
    Great tips! I have also decided this time round that slow and steady wins the race ;) I'm much happier and more motivated when i can eat a fee hundred more calories and enjoy cooking nice meals.
  • zebras1977
    zebras1977 Posts: 28 Member
    A few hundred I meant!
  • Aspensbaby
    Aspensbaby Posts: 10 Member
    Yes! You're right :D I hate torturing myself. It's useless