Question about calorie counting.

Options
ok I've been working on loosing weight for a little over 3months and I've lost 47lbs so far but according to this app I'm under eating most of the time by about 400 calories.I was eating around 800 to a 1000 calories a day this app says a man should at least have 12 to 1500 and recommends around 2300 for me.I would think I'd gain weight if I ate that much,has anyone here been where I am and tried eating the recommended calories and lost weight still?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yes...I eat the recommended calories and lose weight.

There is absolutely NO reason a 26 year old male should be eating under 1000 calories per day.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Oh my. You should eat more. A 26 y-o male should eat at least 1500 every day.

Your tracker says you've lost 1#. Have you updated this? Or did you lose the 47 lbs before creating your profile.

If you've created your profile accurately and are honest with your logging, you will lose weight eating what MFP tells you to. Honest.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are accurate, you'd lose weight at that number.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The goal MFP gives you is what you should be aiming for. 47 pounds in three months averages out to almost twice the maximum safe rate of loss. You need to fuel your body and lose in a healthy, sustainable manner. Consistent undereating can lead to muscle loss and others severe health concerns.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The goal MFP gives you is what you should be aiming for. 47 pounds in three months averages out to almost twice the maximum safe rate of loss. You need to fuel your body and lose in a healthy, sustainable manner. Consistent undereating can lead to muscle loss and others severe health concerns.

This^

There is fast weight loss....and then there is safe (healthy) weight loss. These 2 things aren't the same.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ah yah I eat 2x the calories you do and lose weight. about 1/2lb a week. Which to me is great
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You're a young man and you've obviously been carrying around some extra weight you want to get rid of very quickly. Eating as little as you are, you're losing a good deal of muscle along with the fat you want to lose.

Here's the deal. When we lose "weight" the pounds we lose are made up of a combination of water, fat and muscle. The faster you lose weight, the more of that lost weight will be from muscle because our bodies are looking to preserve as much stored energy as possible against a future starvation period and unused lean muscle mass is a very easy target. As you shed pounds, you need less muscle to move your mass around so your body will break it down and it'll be gone. Poof! This slows your metabolism since simply having that muscle burns calories. Severely undereating will certainly ensure that you'll get to see the number on the scale you want to see more quickly but at what cost? What happens when you finally reach that number?

Instead of continuing down the road you're on, eat more, lose more slowly and add strength training. Strength training forces us to use our muscles in such a way as to signal to the body that we need them. This limits muscle breakdown for energy and helps to retain the muscle you already have. It's much easier to maintain your current muscle mass than it is to build new muscle (just for starters, building new muscle involves gaining weight!) and here is where those advantages I mentioned come in. As I said earlier, when we lose weight it's a combination of muscle, fat and water. The opposite is true, too! Your current muscle mass is greater than someone who is smaller because while you've been gaining weight over the years some of what you gained was extra muscle so that you could simply move around your extra weight. That's a big advantage if you're willing to capitalize on it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

This

So much this
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

I've seen this seconded... so I'll third or fourth. This is sound advice.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is probably coming from lean mass as well as body fat.

Lean mass is: muscles, organs, bone, sinew, connective tissue.

I would seriously look at addressing your diet and calorie intake or you will probably do some bad damage to your 'long term' health.

• whinebag
    whinebag Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight prior to this app,and I have increased some around 12 to 1300 at the moment would you think,according to the app if I stay between 12 to 1500 which is the low for any male would I be good,I should mention I'm a painter I work in 90 plus degree heat all year long and move a lot.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    whinebag wrote: »
    I lost most of my weight prior to this app,and I have increased some around 12 to 1300 at the moment would you think,according to the app if I stay between 12 to 1500 which is the low for any male would I be good,I should mention I'm a painter I work in 90 plus degree heat all year long and move a lot.

No

You should in no way, under any circumstances eat less than 1500 as a young male.

The fact you have an active job would indicate you probably should be eating quite a bit more.

What is your current height and weight?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

With such an active job you need MUCH more than 1500 calories (which is MFP's recommended minimum for men)
  • littlemissorange
    littlemissorange Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I underate for several months and had the opposite effect, try having healthy balanced meals balancing macros instead of calories x
  • whinebag
    Options
    When I started I was 286 I'm around 238 to 239
  • whinebag
    Options
    What's macros,I did change what I eat to like a typical day is a protein meal bar for breakfast and I use benefiber in a bottled water,then lunch is around 8 baby carrots and another benefiber and water and supper is usually something like grilled chicken sandwich or grilled chicken salad,and if I can I'll have green beans but I eat out a lot at night due to my wife works evenings and gets home about the time I go to bed.
  • whinebag
    Options

No

You should in no way, under any circumstances eat less than 1500 as a young male.

The fact you have an active job would indicate you probably should be eating quite a bit more.

I am 6" 238 to 239lbs.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What's macros,I did change what I eat to like a typical day is a protein meal bar for breakfast and I use benefiber in a bottled water,then lunch is around 8 baby carrots and another benefiber and water and supper is usually something like grilled chicken sandwich or grilled chicken salad,and if I can I'll have green beans but I eat out a lot at night due to my wife works evenings and gets home about the time I go to bed.

That sounds like a recipe for malnutrition.

Macros - Fat/carbs/protein
    Micros - Vitamins/Minerals

There are minimums that you should reach even when dieting for health reasons. That sample day sounds like it has a lot of nutritional gaps which can cause loads of health problems if done for prolonged periods of time.
  • whinebag
    Options
    Well where can I find the minimum amounts that I should have?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

No

I am 6" 238 to 239lbs.

Okay here's what I get for you:

BMR (calories burnt at rest if you did nothing all day....not even getting up to use the bathroom...lay in bed all day calories) : approx 2101

To maintain current weight with moderate activity: 3256
    The 2300 that MFP gives you would be almost 2 lbs per week loss.