Recipes using beer

pie_eyes
pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
Any recipes that include sneaking some beer in? I'm interested in soups, gravies or anything really that you can add beer to and have it turn out good.

I love beer

Replies

• mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    I love beer too, my favorite is to make a nice fondue with a dark beer like porter and sharp cheddar. Dip hunks of bread, sausage and veggies in it. So delicious! If only I wasnt on a diet. May need to budget some calories for this ....
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member

Oh my, I need to try this! Maybe throw in a little ham and cauliflower too!
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    My old standby is Beer Brats. Here's how I make them:

1) Get a decent sized pot, like you'd make spaghetti sauce in.
    2) Get as many bratwurst as you plan on eating. I typically make 12 - 16 so that I have enough for everyone + leftovers.
    3) Get a 6-pack of your favorite dark beer. Personally I prefer Guinness.
    4) Crack open one of those beers and get it in you. Cooking is more fun when you're drinking.
    5) Put the brats in the pot and add enough beer to cover them in about an inch of beer. You can also add onions if you like them.
    6) Add a couple tablespoons of butter, as well as garlic powder and black pepper.
    7) Turn the stove on to about Med - Med Low, and cover the pot with just a crack open for air flow
    8) Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes, or as long as it takes for the brats to change color. Here's what they should look like when you're done:

Brats%26Beer.0.jpg
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    make a beer-based brine and marinate your next steak in it.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Chili, beef stew, beer cheese soup, beer can chicken, beer brats.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    I'm making this chili with pumpkin beer biscuits recipe on Sunday: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2015/10/spicy-chicken-chili-with-pumpkin-beer-biscuits/

I haven't tried it yet but looks awesome. Calls for pumpkin beer in both the chili and the biscuits. I'm sure other kinds of beer would be good as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Kielbasa, saurkraut, couple potatoes in the crockpot with one bottle of beer for 8 hours. Delicious.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Pour a beer over your roast chicken or turkey about half an hour before it's ready. Best gravy and dinner ever. Trust me.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Thanks for the ideas. Here's a recipe I made last year before Thanksgiving, thought I'd share - I'm going to do it again this year because last year was a bit of a fail. It turned out to be a soup when it wasn't meant to be that. I learned how to make gravy recently so this year's should be better.

Beef chuck, or the finest cut you can find
    Carrots, sliced
    Celery, sliced
    Corn on the cob, cut in half like this
    corn_cutting_trans_1.png
    A bottle (or two) of Sam Adam's Winter Lager
    Beef broth

Stick in the crock pot, serve with mashed potatoes and anything else you like

I don't remember everything I put in it but that's the gist
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    PSA - A splash of a tasty beer in a tomato sauce makes it better.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Oh I almost forgot my all-time favorite recipe for beer! Here it is:

1) Open a beer
    2) Drink the beer
    3) Repeat
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    I use beer for pulled pork:

1 pork shoulder (6ish pounds)
    2 bottles of beer ( I used brown ales)
    1 bottle BBQ sauce
    crock pot
    and throw in some garlic or herbs of choice

Cook in crock pot for 6-8 hours, then shred the pork and put back in the crock pot after draining beer out. Add the BBQ sauce and cook for another 2 hours. It comes out really well.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I LOVE this slow-cooker stout and chicken stew.
    MP7910.JPG

My family's favorite stew is Carne Guisada

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    My husband makes this easy meal - 2-3lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, a few chopped artichoke hearts (3-4), a drained jar of roasted red peppers, a LOT of fresh basil, 8oz sliced mushrooms. Put it all in a pan with a little bit of worchestershire and pour some beer in. Bake until done. It's awesome!
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    http://www.food.com/recipe/borracho-beans-220469
    Borracho beans = beer, beans, bacon
    Recipe for awesome
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    In college we used to make beer bread. We used any beer we liked:
    d9msicf3brl7.png

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray.Add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and a pinch of salt to a mixing bowl. Pour in the beer and stir with a mixing spoon until just combined. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top of the bread is lightly browned and the middle is set.Allow to sit 15 minutes before serving.

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Belgian blond in spaghetti bolognese, stout/porter in chilli.