Breastfeeding and calories help please

I am breastfeeding my 2 months old and started at the gym and counting calories. I was overweight before I got pregnant but had begun dieing and dropped 20 lbs. Now I'm very overweight with the new pregnancy weight. I have researched and found the minimum calories to drop to while breastfeeding is 1500 but I'm not sure if I need to increase those calories on days I work out or is it still safe to stay around the 1500 mark. Any advice would be appreciated

Replies

• stephw517
    stephw517 Posts: 2 Member
    Did you figure your calories through mfp? Then you need to add breastfeeding as a "food" and it gives you an additional 500 calories. Plus, you log your workout and get those calories too. Without a workout, I get 1350 plus the 500 for breastfeeding. I think you need more, especially with exercise.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    ragenhay1 wrote: »
    I am breastfeeding my 2 months old and started at the gym and counting calories. I was overweight before I got pregnant but had begun dieing and dropped 20 lbs. Now I'm very overweight with the new pregnancy weight. I have researched and found the minimum calories to drop to while breastfeeding is 1500 but I'm not sure if I need to increase those calories on days I work out or is it still safe to stay around the 1500 mark. Any advice would be appreciated

Do not use a random number like 1500. Set MFP to maintain your weight (yes, maintain). Breastfeeding will create the deficit you need to lose weight at a good pace, without your health being affected. And when you exercise, eat at least hald the calories back.