Who has successfully ignored common MFP advice re: rate of loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Well done, @MissJay75
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    When I needed to lose 15 or so pounds, I did it as fast as I possibly could 1.5 - 2 pounds per week. I hated being hungry all the time and wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. And I gained it all back within a year. Rinse and repeat half a dozen times or more. The latest time, I went from 155 to 135, then up to 174.

I finally realized if I was going to keep it off, I needed to find a different way. So I lost at a reasonable rate of 1 pound per week, and dropped to 1/2 pound a week for the last 7 pounds or so. My transition to maintenance was seamless, and I have kept the weight off for almost a year - which is an all time record for me by about 10 1/2 months.

Just my experience.

The fact that gained weight back had absolutely nothing to do with the way you lost it. After you lost it you went back to eating more calories then you burned. I mean seriously thats like blaming the credit card company because you paid off your credit cards then charged it all up again.

No, she gained the weight back because eating at a sensible calorie limit is a skill for life and involves not only eating less than your TDEE, but more than your BMR.

VLCDs fail at the second, and don't teach you to look after yourself properly in all respects.

Eating at a sensible rate of loss is a big part of the CICO process, because it prepares you for maintenance.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I tried an aggressive deficit this last time I tried to shave off a few pounds. Aggressive for me is 1 lb per week because my TDEE is only slightly over 1800.

I turned into a whack job and I looked like hell.

Sorry, no help.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    The fact that gained weight back had absolutely nothing to do with the way you lost it. After you lost it you went back to eating more calories then you burned. I mean seriously thats like blaming the credit card company because you paid off your credit cards then charged it all up again.

I disagree. The time we spend losing weight needs to be the time we spend learning the tools to maintain weight. A good diet must help build habits to remain successful.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

I disagree. The time we spend losing weight needs to be the time we spend learning the tools to maintain weight. A good diet must help build habits to remain successful.

Agreed. I am literally re-learning how to eat for my smaller self. Taking it slow has been a huge help.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    When I needed to lose 15 or so pounds, I did it as fast as I possibly could 1.5 - 2 pounds per week. I hated being hungry all the time and wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. And I gained it all back within a year. Rinse and repeat half a dozen times or more. The latest time, I went from 155 to 135, then up to 174.

I finally realized if I was going to keep it off, I needed to find a different way. So I lost at a reasonable rate of 1 pound per week, and dropped to 1/2 pound a week for the last 7 pounds or so. My transition to maintenance was seamless, and I have kept the weight off for almost a year - which is an all time record for me by about 10 1/2 months.

Just my experience.

In my case, the reason I gained it all back was because as other people stated I didn't learn anything about sustainability or looking long term. My entire perspective was wonky, which is a common theme in people who are on the 'fast track' to losing weight. It's not nec. an if-then relationship, but there is a really strong correlation between the 2 for a whole lot of people.

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I followed MFP's recommendation during my main losing-weight phase (which actually meant that I was in a 1/2 lb deficit the whole time, as I'm very petite and had 15 lbs to lose). This was very helpful in slowly teaching myself what the appropriate maintenance amount was.

I do sometimes ignore that advice now, when I discover I've gained a pound or two over my preferred weight and have the freedom to eat and cook low-cal foods (usually when I'm home by myself for a week). In these occasional cases-- usually once or twice a year for 1 or 2 weeks at a time-- I will attempt a more aggressive weight-loss level, which for me is 1 lb a week. I can only do this because I am already accustomed to my proper maintenance calories-- if I wasn't and I lost a bunch of weight this way, I'd just go right back to overeating when the weight-loss was over.