Last Couple of Kg Not Budging

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    OP, I wish I had more advice for you. Since it happens to me too, all I can say is I ask myself how honest I'm being...and just how far those extra licks, or an unweighed lunch on the go (although honestly, that never happens), may be adding up. I don't do cardio, but it looks like you do so I can't tell you to add that.

How many calories are you eating?
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    NinjaChinchillaNZ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    OP, I wish I had more advice for you. Since it happens to me too, all I can say is I ask myself how honest I'm being...and just how far those extra licks, or an unweighed lunch on the go (although honestly, that never happens), may be adding up. I don't do cardio, but it looks like you do so I can't tell you to add that.

How many calories are you eating?

I'm on the minimum 1200 calories and I'm always at or below that except on my cheat day once a week. On exercise days I'm about 250 calories below my allowance. I always weigh carefully and log exactly what the scales say. I only eat home made food except on cheat days, so basically I don't eat anything I can't log. My fitness levels are not that great but I'm trying to improve that gradually, as someone who loathes exercise that's hard. I'm currently doing 220-260 calories in half an hour on the treadmill 3-5 times a week, which is a big improvement on what I used to be able to do so I have seen some gradual improvement with fitness. I would be classed as skinny fat, as I look slim in clothes but carry flab on my thighs / bum / hips.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm positive my logging is accurate. I weigh and measure everything, and I mean everything, and log everything. I also eat simple meals. I don't use the MFP exercise estimates, I go by what my treadmill says I've burnt and log that number. I'm also careful with what I'm eating - I'm a Pescetarian so make sure to meet my protein requirements each day, and I eat a lot of different vegetables, so it's not like I'm using up all my calories on bread or things like that. On cheat days I eat sensibly and have a treat on top of that, usually chocolate or ice cream. If I have fast food I try to log that where possible as well. When I say eat to maintenance or just above that's going by what MFP calculates to be maintenance which is about 1550 calories. Every other day I'm just below my allowance or about 250 calories below on exercise days.
    That may be the problem. Unless you know the treadmill is correctly calibrated, it could be inaccurately giving you more calories than you're burning.
    Also, when's the last time you upped the intensity of your exercise?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• arditarose
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yes I'm positive my logging is accurate. I weigh and measure everything, and I mean everything, and log everything. I also eat simple meals. I don't use the MFP exercise estimates, I go by what my treadmill says I've burnt and log that number. I'm also careful with what I'm eating - I'm a Pescetarian so make sure to meet my protein requirements each day, and I eat a lot of different vegetables, so it's not like I'm using up all my calories on bread or things like that. On cheat days I eat sensibly and have a treat on top of that, usually chocolate or ice cream. If I have fast food I try to log that where possible as well. When I say eat to maintenance or just above that's going by what MFP calculates to be maintenance which is about 1550 calories. Every other day I'm just below my allowance or about 250 calories below on exercise days.
    That may be the problem. Unless you know the treadmill is correctly calibrated, it could be inaccurately giving you more calories than you're burning.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think she said she didn't eat exercise calories back.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes that's right. Last upped intensity 3 weeks ago. My fitness level isn't that high so I'm gradually trying to improve it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes that's right. Last upped intensity 3 weeks ago. My fitness level isn't that high so I'm gradually trying to improve it.
    Sorry I missed that. Are you only doing cardio?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You have my sympathies re: small margin for error. What are your calories on a typical weekly cheat day? And is wine/alcohol a part of your diet?
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

At the moment, yes. I do use the treadmill on an incline but not doing anything else at the moment.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    You have my sympathies re: small margin for error. What are your calories on a typical weekly cheat day? And is wine/alcohol a part of your diet?

Haha thanks. Usually somewhere around 1550 or a little over. No wine or alcohol. All drinks get logged.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Well, I'm in to get to the bottom of this.

OP, do you want to open your diary? If you're comfortable.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Yep. That's a tough one. How long have you been in a deficit and have you ever tried a full diet break?
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
  • arditarose
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Yep. That's a tough one. How long have you been in a deficit and have you ever tried a full diet break?
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/

The two times I've taken diet breaks, I've lost the weight I was waiting on. I have no idea why. It's not a proven thing that will happen for everyone.

Regardless, if you've been in a deficit for an extended period of time, a diet break is great for the mind and body.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well, I'm in to get to the bottom of this.

OP, do you want to open your diary? If you're comfortable.

Not keen to open it, but I'll show you today's which is a typical exercise day. Other normal days would be similar (if not higher protein) but without the exercise.

2kua3f437izy.jpg
  • arditarose
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Edit: I forgot to do the calorie conversion before I posted
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options
    No I'm not, my allowance is 5021 kj. I have eaten 4638 and gained an extra 1088 from exercise, which I haven't eaten back leaving a deficit of 1470kj. I'm under my allowance before even adding in the exercise kj.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you're absolutely certain you are logging as accurately as you can (Sorry, you're numbers seem a little too 'round' to me). With your fairly small margin of error, have you actually checked your kitchen balance/scales are accurate? You could be eating more than realise if your scales have drifted, and are saying 100g, when in reality you've got 110g. Drift isn't likely to be that large, but it could be a cause or factor.
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    If you're absolutely certain you are logging as accurately as you can (Sorry, you're numbers seem a little too 'round' to me). With your fairly small margin of error, have you actually checked your kitchen balance/scales are accurate? You could be eating more than realise if your scales have drifted, and are saying 100g, when in reality you've got 110g. Drift isn't likely to be that large, but it could be a cause or factor.

They're digital food scales, and I deliberately have round serving sizes. Any left over vege gets fed to my rabbits and guinea pigs. Everything else is round because that's the size of what's in the packet.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

At the moment, yes. I do use the treadmill on an incline but not doing anything else at the moment.
    Lack of a resistance training program as you lose weight will lower your metabolic rate faster (rate you burn calories when not exercising). If the muscles aren't used, then they atrophy and if on a calorie deficit, can be catabolized along with fat. Less muscle tissue means lower metabolic rate.
    I'd encourage you to take up a resistance training program. I will warn you that your weight will initially go up because of glycogen and water storage along with extra water to repair muscle, but in the long run, it will eventually subside and fat loss (which is weight you want to lose and not muscle weight) will increase.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lack of a resistance training program as you lose weight will lower your metabolic rate faster (rate you burn calories when not exercising). If the muscles aren't used, then they atrophy and if on a calorie deficit, can be catabolized along with fat. Less muscle tissue means lower metabolic rate.
    I'd encourage you to take up a resistance training program. I will warn you that your weight will initially go up because of glycogen and water storage along with extra water to repair muscle, but in the long run, it will eventually subside and fat loss (which is weight you want to lose and not muscle weight) will increase.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ok thanks. What would you suggest as resistance training for beginners?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »

They're digital food scales, and I deliberately have round serving sizes. Any left over vege gets fed to my rabbits and guinea pigs. Everything else is round because that's the size of what's in the packet.

Digital or analog doesn't make a difference to whether or not they have drifted/lost their calibration.

As for rounding, and everything else being round because that's the packet size..... I guess that means you don't weigh the packet stuff, and there is definitely variances in the weight of packet stuff.