What is a good alternative to pasta?

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    pasta is only roughly 100 cals an oz, there is no alternative to pasta despite some of the suggestions above
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles, but honestly theres no good alternative.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Polenta.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a great lover of all things pasta but I can't be doing with the amount of calories it adds to a dish. Does anyone have a lower carb/calorie alternative?
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a great lover of all things pasta but I can't be doing with the amount of calories it adds to a dish. Does anyone have a lower carb/calorie alternative?
    Hi! Rotini has a "Smart Taste" or great taste pasta; has less carbs and more fiber. Tastes pretty good. Lately, though, I have been eating Quinoa. I get the flavored quinoa packets in the healthy section at my market. You get a lot in that little packet. I make roasted veggies and have it on the side. It's pretty filling.
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Funny this thread came up because I just had the Quest Pastabilities Spinach Fettuccine for lunch. Don't waste your money. I just thought I would try it because it was there while I was ordering Quest bars. So, it's $3.39 for a bag, which is 2 servings (20 cals per serving, 4 carbs, no fat). I was able to finish off 2 servings with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese added. I don't even think you could get this stuff to taste good with alfredo sauce. However...I give the texture a 1 out of 10. It was very rubbery and gave me a yuck sound in my ears while chewing it. It was like biting into a rubber ball. I would rather have some whole grain pasta and be a few calories over than to eat this stuff again. Nice try Quest!
  • LuisB3
    LuisB3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wondering if these alternates actually still provide the benefit of the carbs you get from pasta. Not everything is bad for you if you use it right.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    pasta is only roughly 100 cals an oz, there is no alternative to pasta despite some of the suggestions above
    Agreed. I love spaghetti squash, quinoa and some of the other things mentioned, but they aren't really substitutes. I don't suggest eating a pound in one sitting, but small portions occasionally... Why not?
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    ... slightly smaller portions of pasta. I bulk up my dish with lots of veggies,

This has been my choice too. Use less pasta but more veggies to achieve the same net volume (but fewer carbs). I've also chosen to consider pasta a side rather than the bulk of a meal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just eat smaller portions of pasta and have pasta less often. I also enjoy spaghetti squash, but not as a substitute for pasta...it's it's own thing and tastes nothing like pasta and texture is nothing like pasta.
  • CaitlinAmburn
    CaitlinAmburn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Shirataki Noodles. Remind me of rice noodles. No calories and taste awesome if you are craving lo mein!