Thoughts on the types of body fat testing...

Options
I have not had my body fat tested in years and it was the old school caliper test. I'd love to know where I stand now....admittedly, I love cardio and my lifting routine has always seems to fall by the wayside when time gets tight (which is way too much of the time now).

What would you advise someone who knows not too much on the subject and doesn't want to spend a ton of money on this?

https://www.body-spec.com/what-is-dxa

Scans? Worth it?

I don't belong to a gym so cant request a trainer to do it.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I say go for it.

I've had a few dexa scans and i've also had hydrostatic weighing done. IMO it was worth it.

The Dexa also showed me internal fat which was really interesting. :)

If you can afford it and want it done, do it!
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The results look really interesting and given that I haven't had this done since my baby was a baby Id love to know where I stand! (That "baby" is now in the 3rd grade! :open_mouth: )
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a DEXA soon (just need to book it - found a discount coupon thing and bought it!)

I usually get calipers tested. My PT said the DEXA is the best to show everything as calipers can still be 2-3% off.

Don't bother with those super scales that supposedly tell you BF% - they lie.

• rainbowbow
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »
    The results look really interesting and given that I haven't had this done since my baby was a baby Id love to know where I stand! (That "baby" is now in the 3rd grade! :open_mouth: )

why not?

I'd say buy the package of 2. Get one done now, and then the other in 6 months to see how far you've progressed. :smiley:

Of course it's completely unnecessary but i found it helpful and motivational.
  • amillenium
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

why not?

I'd say buy the package of 2. Get one done now, and then the other in 6 months to see how far you've progressed. :smiley:

Because I struggle with the mom guilt and have a tough time spending money on myself instead of my kids. I have definitely found some reasonable priced options including a research lab at the university where I work.

That's what I am looking for...a little motivation and maybe shifting my goals a bit! :) I really like the idea of 2 pack!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I personally wouldn't spend the money. I don't think that actually knowing my body fat percentage would be all that useful. I have a mirror and it tells me when it's time to get leaner and when it's time to gain weight (muscle). Knowing the exact number wouldn't change that at all. If I was 8, 10, 12, or 14% body fat when I was at my leanest last summer, I still would have transitioned into a bulking phase at the same time. Basically, regardless of the number, if I want to be leaner I will lose fat, if I want to be bigger, I will gain muscle. I also think that if you are making decent progress over the course of a year (or half a year) it should be evident simply by looking at before/after pictures. If you can't see a difference, regardless of what the test showed, you probably need to make some changes to your regime. If you just want to know the numbers for fun, at you feel that's worth the cost of the test, then by all means go for it. If you think the numbers will be extremely useful, then I guess I'd ask your reasoning behind that thought.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

why not?

Because I struggle with the mom guilt and have a tough time spending money on myself instead of my kids. I have definitely found some reasonable priced options including a research lab at the university where I work.

That's what I am looking for...a little motivation and maybe shifting my goals a bit! :) I really like the idea of 2 pack!

have you heard the concept of "fill up your own cup"? If not, i'd suggest you look into it!

Best of luck!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't spend the money. I don't think that actually knowing my body fat percentage would be all that useful. I have a mirror and it tells me when it's time to get leaner and when it's time to gain weight (muscle). Knowing the exact number wouldn't change that at all. If I was 8, 10, 12, or 14% body fat when I was at my leanest last summer, I still would have transitioned into a bulking phase at the same time. Basically, regardless of the number, if I want to be leaner I will lose fat, if I want to be bigger, I will gain muscle. I also think that if you are making decent progress over the course of a year (or half a year) it should be evident simply by looking at before/after pictures. If you can't see a difference, regardless of what the test showed, you probably need to make some changes to your regime. If you just want to know the numbers for fun, at you feel that's worth the cost of the test, then by all means go for it. If you think the numbers will extremely useful, then I guess I'd ask your reasoning behind that thought.

I agree with this. it's important to note though that a dexa scan will also show you lean body mass, internal fat (which we cant see), and bone density. Of course knowing this isn't necessary, but again, if you want to do it for fun. :)
  • amillenium
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't spend the money. I don't think that actually knowing my body fat percentage would be all that useful. I have a mirror and it tells me when it's time to get leaner and when it's time to gain weight (muscle). Knowing the exact number wouldn't change that at all. If I was 8, 10, 12, or 14% body fat when I was at my leanest last summer, I still would have transitioned into a bulking phase at the same time. Basically, regardless of the number, if I want to be leaner I will lose fat, if I want to be bigger, I will gain muscle. I also think that if you are making decent progress over the course of a year (or half a year) it should be evident simply by looking at before/after pictures. If you can't see a difference, regardless of what the test showed, you probably need to make some changes to your regime. If you just want to know the numbers for fun, at you feel that's worth the cost of the test, then by all means go for it. If you think the numbers will extremely useful, then I guess I'd ask your reasoning behind that thought.

Really good point--I think for me its knowing a number and where I stand. Useful otherwise, probably not. I guess it is curiosity more than anything else.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You probably already know where you stand from looking in the mirror. And you know what to do about it. :+1:

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    You probably already know where you stand from looking in the mirror. And you know what to do about it. :+1:
    This was pretty much what I was saying. Say your number is 20... what then? How about 25? 30? None of it changes a single thing. You look how you look, and if you want to be leaner or more muscular, the number won't change the ways to go about making those things happen.