Any of you having this problem?

Options
I have been on the MFP 1200 calorie program since July 1. I have lost 15 pounds so far. It is discouraging, but maybe this is the cause: I have no thyroid (two separate operations) and I take a thyroid medication to supplement. Could this be why it is taking me extra long to get the weight off? I am exercising (mostly walking and strength training). I do pretty good staying on 1200 that was calculated by the MFP program. I do deviate every now and then but I try so still stay under 1400 which seems still a satisfactory range for weight loss according to what I have read. I am recording every single bite of anything that goes in my mouth. I just wish this would go a bit faster. I'm committed that this will be forever so I'm trying to just think of it as my lifestyle eating plan now. I have a friend who has lost 45 pounds on an 1800 calorie diet cause she's diabetic during the same time frame so I'm a bit discouraged. I have been the same weight now for almost a month (groan...) Any ideas?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    15 pounds is great! That's 15 pounds less than you weighed before.

It doesn't matter how fast other people can lose. The important part is to find what works for you. Weight loss isn't a race or a competition.

Do you use a food scale to weigh all of your solid foods and measuring cups/spoons for liquids? If not, you may be eating more calories than you think. Careful logging may help the weight start coming off again.

Here's a great chart from lemonlionheart:
    thhv8maywd9c.jpg
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    1) I'm no expert but I think the thyroid medication is supposed to normalise things as though you did have a thyroid, therefore with correct dosing it shouldn't affect weight loss/gain.
    2) 15lb is great! If you think of it as a long term then not only have you halted the weight gain but you are also reversing it. You'll be starting 2016 much less than you started 2015. Don't compare yourself to your friend this journey is about you.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    15 pounds in 3 months is a good rate of loss! Don't forget that the faster you lose, the more muscle mass you will lose in the process. The more muscle mass you keep, the better you will look at goal, trust me on this!

Are you using a food scale?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    15 lbs in 3 1/2 months is a very healthy rate of loss, about 1 lb per week. Keep it going and look for ways you can tighten up your logging and eating. Whatever one's rate of loss is, we all wish it would be faster. True. You have nothing to be discouraged about!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Don't feel discourage. You do great.
    And dont look at others...i know at least 9 people who lost more than me. It doesnt bother me. That is their life and journey.

The point is that YOU are losing it is all about YOU.
    And yes medical issues can slow you down. But 15 lbs is already great.

Just keep doing what you are doing and dont lose faith and hope!

I lose my weight by eating everything only i weigh everything on a scale, so in grams. I only cut out salt for medical issues and when i started added sugar ( so not sugar totally)
    Now the sugar is solved and fine so i still dont use a lot of sugar. Just got used to not eat it that much.
    And salt will be a big NO NO for always because of a medical condition.

But i eat everything, on every time. What i want. I eat a balanced diet ( pretty close to the Mediterranean diet) And have from pizza and lovely donuts and ice cream to fresh veggies fruits nuts and herbs.

Just make this losing weight as comfortable for you as possible. You lose slow??...shame but accept it. Just do it!
    You lose faster weight than everybody who is doing nothing about it.
    You want to be healthier and fitter so you have to do it yourself.

For sure you can :)

95069916.png
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    To those who asked, yes, I use a food scale and measuring cups/spoons, so I know the logging is accurate. If I am ever in doubt, I always err on the side of a few more calories rather than less. Thanks for the flow chart. Since I am 67 my metabolism is probably a lot slower now (grrrr), so that's probably factoring in. Thank you all for the encouragement. I guess I just need to "keep on keeping on." Thank you, MFP friends!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    lthur714 wrote: »
    To those who asked, yes, I use a food scale and measuring cups/spoons, so I know the logging is accurate. If I am ever in doubt, I always err on the side of a few more calories rather than less. Thanks for the flow chart. Since I am 67 my metabolism is probably a lot slower now (grrrr), so that's probably factoring in. Thank you all for the encouragement. I guess I just need to "keep on keeping on." Thank you, MFP friends!

Make sure the cups/spoons are ONLY for liquids, everything else, use the scale.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Did your friend have the same starting weight as you?

Usually people lose weight more quickly when they have more weight to lose.

Yay for you losing 15 lbs! That's terrific.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Did your friend have the same starting weight as you?

Usually people lose weight more quickly when they have more weight to lose.

Yay for you losing 15 lbs! That's terrific.

My friend who I started with used to lose more than me, but she had much more to lose
    I quickly had to learn to just focus on myself

Op keep at it
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and don't allow yourself to quit because it's slow. Try not to get discouraged because others lose faster. They're not losing your weight. Only YOU can lose your weight.

Slow loss is still LOSS!!!!
  • lthur714
    Options
    Orphia and Therealobi1-- my friend weighed a lot more than me so maybe that's it. Kalikel: You're so right. Only I can lose MY weight. Still trying to celebrate my loss! If someone will tell me how to reply individually to these posts, I can do that. I'm not used to doing them so I'm not sure what "flag and quote" mean at the bottom of each message.
  • laurenthecarts
    laurenthecarts Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Never compare your weight loss to others, every one is individual and the same as we all take in information at different rates, our bodies will gain/lose weight differently to others. It's a pig having a thyroid issue and that will contribute to a slightly slower rate of loss. Last year my sister and I started at the same time with a 'healthy competion attitude', I lost faster than her because she too has a non-active thyroid. But then similarly, I lose slower than other people because I've got PCOS (buggered up ovary issues). You've just got to remember that any loss is great, If you'd gained 15 lbs you'd think that was an awfully huge amount! So look at it that it's an awfully huge amount to lose in that period of time.

Fantastic that you're looking at this 'diet' as a change in lifestyle, sounds like you're on track to having the body that your happy with and a food regime that you can stick too most of the time. Just have patience and remember that you can do anything you put your mind too, even if it takes longer than you hoped - it will happen!
  • lthur714
    Options
    Catscats22: Are you psychic? This is crazy. Yes, I am over 60. Yes, I have trouble getting enough protein. Yes, I have even had surgery for diverticulosis, and YES, I don't get quite enough fiber.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    15lbs in 16 weeks is great! Keep up the great work @lthur714!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I think 15 lbs sounds amazing!!! It's really the end goal that matters so don't judge your journey against your friends...It took me 1 1/2 YEARS to lose 40 lbs, but I know that this is a lifestyle change! It doesn't matter when you reach your goal, but just that you continue. So congrats on your weight loss journey!! You have already come so far!!
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Are you just focusing on just your "weight"? Non-Scale Victories (NSVs) are another thing to look at. Body fat percentage, body measurements, blood pressure and resting heart rate are all tangible and measurable. Sometimes the NSVs are way MORE encouraging than dropping a pound or two. Not losing any weight but dropping an inch off your waist or thighs, I would take that trade any day of the week. Any improvements in physical activity (increased speed, more reps, increased weigh for weight training) are other signs of getting in better shape.

Don't do yourself the disservice of short changing your progress. I have to agree with the others, 15 pounds is nothing to frown at. Congrats.
  • lthur714
    Options
    Thanks tryin2die2self....I know the NSVs are better. Clothes fit (and look better). Part of the reason for doing this was that I have a heart stent and wanted to drop some to help the heart not work so hard. To be honest, I do not bring out the tape measure even though I know I've lost some. Only problem with losing fat is that I get so COLD now since a lot of my belly is gone now. When I get to my goal weight, I'll be as cold as a popsicle all day long (but worth it!).
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you click on quote beneath the post you want to reply to, it will come up in text in your reply box, then write your reply underneath it and click Post Reply. Then the post you are replying to will appear in a grey box above your reply so everyone will know who you are responding to (like some people's replies above).

The flag is if you think someone is spamming the site, is being abusive or promoting something dangerous. It draws the attention of the forum moderators who will decide what should be done (remove the post, ban the poster etc).

Hope that helps!
  • lthur714
    Options
    If you click on quote beneath the post you want to reply to, it will come up in text in your reply box, then write your reply underneath it and click Post Reply. Then the post you are replying to will appear in a grey box above your reply so everyone will know who you are responding to (like some people's replies above).

The flag is if you think someone is spamming the site, is being abusive or promoting something dangerous. It draws the attention of the forum moderators who will decide what should be done (remove the post, ban the poster etc).

Hope that helps!

Yes, this info helps very much! Thank you very much! (How'd I do?)