Your favourite black bean recipes

Options

Replies

• tishtash77
    tishtash77 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    http://www.thefrillyapron.com/frilly-casserole-series-recipe-mexican-chicken-rice-bake/

I use less cheese and brown rice and add mushrooms to cut back a bit on cals and add another veg. Had it last night and have leftovers for lunch today. Yummy.

I also will throw in some black beans into a chili instead of kidney beans if I have some to be used up.
  • katie75975
    katie75975 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I love this and so does everyone who I've made it for:

Black Beans
    Green onions, chopped
    tomatoes, diced
    peppers (Red, yellow, orange, green whatever you have) diced
    cucumbers diced
    avocado, diced
    cilantro,chopped

"dressing"
    Fresh lime juice
    garlic (finely diced)
    cumin
    salt
    pepper

The measurements can be whatever you have or like. I like a lot of lime juice and garlic but you might not. You can replace the green onion for red onion, etc. Yummy on its own or with tortilla chips!
  • sum1s
    sum1s Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love this soup recipe. I puree half the ingredients before baking to not splattering myself with hot soup. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=718155 Southwest Chicken and Black bean soup.

I also love this turkey enchilada casserole recipe. I have even made it with venison, and have omitted the tortillas. I think it would be easy to convert into a wonderful soup. It calls for two cans of black beans.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/turkey-enchilada-casserole
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My sweet tooth demands the brownie notion be seconded!

I used this recipe (http://alimentageuse.com/home/2013/03/27/black-bean-brownies/) and they turned out delicious. It was 216 calories for 1/8th of the pan (because I like massive brownies, okay?!), with 22g carbs, 8g protein, and 11g fat (keeping in mind the coconut oil).

---

Ingredients

- 1 can black beans (15 oz drained and rinsed, the can was 19 fl oz.)
    - 3 tbsp coconut oil
    - 3 eggs
    - 1/2 cup cocoa powder
    - 1 tsp vanilla
    - 2/3 cup brown sugar
    - 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (divided 1/4 and 1/4)
    - Optional: Fleur de sel to sprinkle on top

Instructions

In a food processor or a blender, purée the black beans, cocoa powder, coconut oil, and 1/4 cup chocolate chips until smooth. If your processor is big enough, add in the eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar and purée just until smooth (try not to overmix the eggs though). If it's not big enough, transfer to a mixing bowl and mix in the eggs, vanilla, and brown sugar.
    Pour into a parchment paper-lined square pan (8x8).

Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top and if you like the salty fleur de sel, sprinkle some on top to cut through the dark chocolate flavour.

Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350F until set. I like to underbake my brownies a bit, but if you don't, bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.

Let cool on a wire rack.

Cut, and serve! Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days, or in the fridge for about a week.
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh and one pound of diced chicken breasts, with one can of black beans drained, one can of corn drained, one can of rotel, one cup water and taco seasoning is amazing! Man I haven't made that in a long time... grocery trip tomorrow!
  • SkinnyNSweet822
    SkinnyNSweet822 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • caprde74
    caprde74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Loving all of these recipes.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • irivas1
    irivas1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just have to try this!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump :heart: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    BUMP BUMP BUMP - Love black beans - I come from Australia and so tinned black beans are really tough to come by - specialty shops only as our latin and caribbean traditions are fairly nascent ... these are one of my faves though

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/food-by-neil-perry-20130114-2co9d.html
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Gotta bump this one!
  • seamanny
    seamanny Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm from Brazil and f there is something that can be classified as the national brazilian food that would be Black Beans.
    The favourite way to go about it is to make it into a stew with pieces of pork, smoked pork is even better. It's the sort of thing that you can add whatever vegetables you have around you and it keeps delicious, a bit like lentil stew.
    I would suggest potatoes, carrots and tomatoes (yes I know tomato is a fruit), for the port I think pancetta is the way to go. Cook it all until the beans are soft, a pressure cooker might be the best way. Serve it with rice and for the adventurous ones you can have a go at eating it with peeled pieces of orange, it's absolutely delicious.
    I hope it helps, otherwise you can always look for brazilian recipes, we call black beans Feijão, I'm sure you can find plenty of recipes in english around the web :)

This.We love it. I make it a little differently (taught by a friend who's a Brazilian chef). You rinse the beans, soak overnight, put in a pot with water covering and start simmering awar. Smoked meat is kind of important to get the flavor...you can use a low-fat smoked sausage and/or crisp-cooked bacon (cook them separately, then add). I don't add any veggies except sauteed onion, scallion and garlic (plenty of, always, for me). Salt, pepper and a couple of bay leaves. And--her secret touch--mash a ripe banana or two and add it during the last half hour. A slow-cooking dish. Sooo good. No exact measurements....just be careful, since the smoked meats have salt, that you add your salt at the end, to taste, so it's not too salty.

And even better with sauteed kale as a side dish, with a bit of vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic added to it. The Brazilians were chowing down on kale long before it became popular here.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • faithdanyell
    faithdanyell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this recipe it sounds delicious.
  • Cornblossom
    Options
    Bump.
  • mi2ak2co
    mi2ak2co Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump, and thanks to posters!