Probiotics

Options
emd2570
emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
help! Anyone have a good probiotic that they take - I have been suffering for years with stomach issues - I finally scheduled an appt with a GI- but I want to see if a probiotic will help me first as well .

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take one with many strains. . Also take digestive enzymes with each meal.
  • emd2570
    Options
    My appt is 10/27 - I did buy plain Greek yogurt and I'm trying to eat a little bit before lunch and dinner - I don't eat processed foods and have been gluten and dairy free for a few years - honestly I eat mostly organic and only fish and chicken - I was ok for a while after that - now having issues again -I even tried low carbs recently - was ok for about a week so obviously I need a doctors help - so far the yogurt has not bothered me- I'm at a loss - shouldn't have waited this long I guess
  • sandyhorne15
    sandyhorne15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended one that is very natural. Prescript Assist. I saw something similar to it on Amazon but the one I have is from a holistic practitioner.
  • BeachRoxi
    BeachRoxi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For gut health consider fermented foods and stay natural. I make kombucha to drink daily and ferment several veggies a week. Also consider bone broth daily.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Probably psychosomatic but I feel my digestion improves with a shot glass of Kefir daily.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I take two daily probiotics, eat a couple of different kinds of yougurt (different yogurts have different cultures), and drink kombucha daily. I also sometimes eat raw saurkraut if it pairs well with whatever I'm eating.

Currently, I'm taking the Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Once Daily 30 Billion and the NOW Foods Acidophilus 3x6. I take them in the morning, since I usually don't eat breakfast and it's best to take probiotics on an empty stomach. I've found that my digestion has improved considerably while on them. I don't have half of the bloating and bathroom issues that I used to. When I do have occasional troubles, I take a digestive enzyme and a little raw apple cider vinegar, and that usually takes care of the problem pretty quickly.

Probiotics don't work overnight, though. I was on this regimen for about two months before I saw noticable improvement. Even if you start taking quality probiotics now, you won't see much of a different before your doctor's appointment. The probiotics need to have time to establish themselves in your digestive tract and multiply before they can help you. I know that it's miserable, but it just takes time.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like probiotic pills that require refrigeration, they seem to help me the best. Check if you have any health stores around, they are usually sold there in a fridge. Wholefoods sells them as well.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Homemade probiotics like kimchi, sauerkraut, and kefir are much better than anything you can buy at a store.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Most people really don't need these things. If the doctors kill off the bacteria in your guy with antibiotics (especially through an IV), a Culturelle can help them grow back faster, but so can buttermilk. :)

See what your guy says. Try not to take pills that you don't need.
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    [
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Most people really don't need these things. If the doctors kill off the bacteria in your guy with antibiotics (especially through an IV), a Culturelle can help them grow back faster, but so can buttermilk. :)

See what your guy says. Try not to take pills that you don't need.

Actually many drs to recommend them now, especially if youve been taking antibiotics. You can get them through naturally through kimchi or saurkraut but most people dont eat this on a regular basis.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    A yogurt <especially a processed yogurt like culturelle> is only going to give you a minuscule amount of probiotic compared to either a capsule of probiotic or a food based fermented product. And if you've taken antibiotics, you absolutely should be supplementing with a good probiotic. 70% of the immune system resides in the intestinal tract, and when the good bacteria are not in balance it allows for a proliferation of not only bad bacteria, but of virus, fungus and parasitic proliferation as well.

You can purchase one and start with that one, but rotate through about 3 that have different strains. I also agree that homemade fermented foods contain higher concentrations of probiotic--if that is an option for you!
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    conniedj wrote: »
    A yogurt <especially a processed yogurt like culturelle> is only going to give you a minuscule amount of probiotic compared to either a capsule of probiotic or a food based fermented product. And if you've taken antibiotics, you absolutely should be supplementing with a good probiotic. 70% of the immune system resides in the intestinal tract, and when the good bacteria are not in balance it allows for a proliferation of not only bad bacteria, but of virus, fungus and parasitic proliferation as well.

You can purchase one and start with that one, but rotate through about 3 that have different strains. I also agree that homemade fermented foods contain higher concentrations of probiotic--if that is an option for you!

Which ones do you rotate through? I only have one that I use and have been looking for another one to try but they all seem to have either soy, gluten, or lactose in them and I am trying to avoid all three.

• emd2570
    Options
    Thanks - I'll update after I see doc -