Best arm exercises

I have zero upper body strength and so I'm wondering what's the best exercises to begin with when trying to tone my arms?

Replies

• zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Try doing wall push ups at first.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Upper body strength is much more than just arms, it also includes chest, back and shoulders.

Personally, I do bench press, barbell row, and over head press. Lets me hit pretty much everything in as little time as possible.
  • MyLifeMyCreation
    MyLifeMyCreation Posts: 12 Member
    I'm in the exact same situation as you :)

What I'm doing:

-(Using dumbbells) Arm circles, bicep curls, hammer curls, shoulder press
    -Triceps dips

Start off slow and build your way up. Begin doing 5 of each when you wake up every morning. When your ready, increase that to 10... then 15... then 20... Starting off slow will help you learn the proper form and breathing techniques, and it will also help you create a habit out of working out. You'll also be less likely to dread exercising since you're not trying to go from 0 to 180 overnight.

Check out this video on how to create fitness habits.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8K7ifs2Db4&feature=youtu.be
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I have zero upper body strength and so I'm wondering what's the best exercises to begin with when trying to tone my arms?

If your arms are weak, probably the rest of you is weak too. So i'd follow a full-body program.. preferably one designed by a pro, not yourself.
    What equipment do you have access to?
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Pushups have done wonders for my arms, shoulders, back and core! Best part is no special equipment needed and you can do them almost anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dF1DOWzf20 This video shows proper form, and gives options for progression to work your way up if you can't do standard push ups yet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    you should work everything, not just arm isolation. most programs worth their salt are going to have their foundation in compound movements...upper body compound movements are going to work your arms as well as the rest of your upper body...some isolation/assistance work is fine too, but shouldn't be the foundation of what you're doing.

if you don't have access to a weight room, I'd suggest body weight work. look into things like, "You Are Your Own Gym" which will help you put an overall plan together and show you variations of movements ranging from beginner to advanced.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    There are few "absolute best" exercises. From a muscle activation stand-point the hands supinated chin-up has some of the highest peak biceps activation.