bulking in winter and summer, cutting in spring and autumn?

Options
Anyone have views on if particular seasons suit bulking or cutting better? I'm on a cut at the moment, and am sure I'm feeling the cold more than normal now we're into autumn (could be the fat loss, or the calorie deficit, or both?) - and fearing catching colds/flu as there's more around this time of year.

Winter seems like a good time for bulking because in the northern hemisphere we have xmas and new year festivities to get through. And in summer there's holidays and ice creams to consider, so probably better for bulking too.

Anyway, feel free to shoot my unresearched musings down, that's why I post them - so other people who've done the research can correct me :-)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I like bulking October through to Feb, then Cut Mar -June, maintain July-Sept... that said, I don't always follow those, but that would be my ideal.

I like this as if you cut in winter, no one sees it and you forgo nice treats/drinks. cut in the spring so ready to show the work for the summer. maintain in summer so you can go to BBQs and have beers on the patio, the extra cals above cutting give room for that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It's not really news.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    That's what I did this past winter (first year of lifting); a slow bulk most of the winter, then spent most of the spring/summer/fall on a slow (much slower than I had hoped...) cut. I only lost 5 of the 10 pounds I put on this past winter, so I think I'm going into fall/early winter on a re-comp or continue a slow cut, then bulk starting around January.

But yes, I find it's easier to go with the flow. It's too hard for me to get a lot of cardio in during the winter without getting frustrated, so I work with that. Allow myself the ability to bulk up and work on weight progression. Then when spring hits, I feel like my cardio forms of exercise are easier to accomplish (outdoor biking, walking/hiking) and it's a natural time to cut. Why fight it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I like bulking October through to Feb, then Cut Mar -June, maintain July-Sept... that said, I don't always follow those, but that would be my ideal.

I like this as if you cut in winter, no one sees it and you forgo nice treats/drinks. cut in the spring so ready to show the work for the summer. maintain in summer so you can go to BBQs and have beers on the patio, the extra cals above cutting give room for that.

That's my plan this year! Though I'm afraid to start my bulk (even though I think you were one of the people who said to go for it).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed calories having any major impact on how hot or cold I was, nor my ability to stay healthy. Since I started shaving my head, I'm much more sensitive to the cold, and when I'm not getting enough sleep, sickness usually follows. But that's not what you asked about, so...

As for scheduling...
    When I'm on plan, I typically bulk from the end of my race season (october-ish, usually) through Feb or so, for many of the reasons posted above. I cut until my race season picks up (may or june), then maintain through sept.