the struggle is real

Options
I am having a hard time eating what is in front of me. I take a few bites, then I feel full. The older I get, the more I notice I don't enjoy eating. I do enjoy fruits and veggies however and will snack on them.
There are some days I am short my calories by a whole meal. Does this happen with anyone else?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    How long has this been happening? Is it a loss of appetite over all? Or do you start to eat and then feel full right away? If you're tracking or logging your food, can you look back and attribute it to certain foods? Sorry for all the questions, but more details may help.
  • danadom79
    danadom79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! I struggle to meet the minimum calorie intake almost every day. I feel like if I HAVE to FORCE myself to eat maybe I'm sabotaging myself but then again I read so much about how you must intake a certain amount of calories per day. It's frustrating. Even if i come close to my goal the workout for that day takes half of it away! I feel your struggle!
  • missie0611
    missie0611 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    How long has this been happening? Is it a loss of appetite over all? Or do you start to eat and then feel full right away? If you're tracking or logging your food, can you look back and attribute it to certain foods? Sorry for all the questions, but more details may help.

This has been going on for probably about 3 years. I can go all day without eating sometimes. But then when I do become hungry that's when I make bad choices. Fast food, pizza, etc.
    Recently I've been trying to consume water before I eat, so I don't overstuff myself. I've been slowing down and oy taking a small plate or bowl for dinner. And usually half way through I will feel full.
    I'm also not big on late night snacking, but will have a glass of milk once in a while.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Good for you for recognizing that this is a problem that needs improvement. Maybe set reminders on your phone or somewhere that remind you to eat regularly throughout the day.

Drinking water before eating is a good idea. So is stopping eating when you feel full. Maybe eating smaller portions more often would help?
  • missie0611
    Options
    Good for you for recognizing that this is a problem that needs improvement. Maybe set reminders on your phone or somewhere that remind you to eat regularly throughout the day.

Drinking water before eating is a good idea. So is stopping eating when you feel full. Maybe eating smaller portions more often would help?

I would love to do that, but at work it is difficult. I'm in the medical field and if its not break time, we can't eat. That's where I struggle with the small snacks throughout the day.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Ah, yes that can be an obstacle. Well, maybe start by eating that way on your days off? Sorry, I have no other suggestions as to why you get the "full" feeling so easily but hopefully someone else has experienced it and can offer better solutions.

There are no doubt others here who work in the same field you do that have been successful so I'm hoping they can offer tips. If not, read the "Success" thread because there are always lot of good ideas from those people who have and are continuing to succeed.
  • missie0611
    Options
    Ah, yes that can be an obstacle. Well, maybe start by eating that way on your days off? Sorry, I have no other suggestions as to why you get the "full" feeling so easily but hopefully someone else has experienced it and can offer better solutions.

There are no doubt others here who work in the same field you do that have been successful so I'm hoping they can offer tips. If not, read the "Success" thread because there are always lot of good ideas from those people who have and are continuing to succeed.

Thank you! I will scroll through them and see what they may to say :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    missie0611 wrote: »

This has been going on for probably about 3 years. I can go all day without eating sometimes. But then when I do become hungry that's when I make bad choices. Fast food, pizza, etc.
    Recently I've been trying to consume water before I eat, so I don't overstuff myself. I've been slowing down and oy taking a small plate or bowl for dinner. And usually half way through I will feel full.
    I'm also not big on late night snacking, but will have a glass of milk once in a while.

This is a sure sign that you aren't really all that in touch with what "hungry" feels like. You are waiting until you feel unmistakable hunger pains, then need something that will hit your bloodstream fast. On the other hand, you seem to feel full just because you have food in your system, not because you have eaten enough.

One thing you could try is just to add something more calorie dense. Have some cheese and nuts with your fruits and vegetables. If that doesn't do the trick, there are exercises available designed to help you get back in touch with your hunger sensations.
  • missie0611
    Options
    missie0611 wrote: »

This is a sure sign that you aren't really all that in touch with what "hungry" feels like. You are waiting until you feel unmistakable hunger pains, then need something that will hit your bloodstream fast. On the other hand, you seem to feel full just because you have food in your system, not because you have eaten enough.

One thing you could try is just to add something more calorie dense. Have some cheese and nuts with your fruits and vegetables. If that doesn't do the trick, there are exercises available designed to help you get back in touch with your hunger sensations.

You could be right about the hunger pains. I do know that as a teenager and young adult, I had tried to ignore the hunger feeling, because I was overweight and thought that if I don't eat, I would be thinner. So, as a grown adult, I don't recognize that feeling at all. As far as the feeling full, I think it is just because I'm full. I don't go back for more food later or anything like that.
    Do you know what exercises that help?
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Can you meet with a registered dietitian who can help you build a nutritious food plan based on your work schedule? I'd focus on eating the proper amount of food and getting all your nutrients in and work on learning your true hunger signals.

Fueling your body properly should even out your hunger and fullness feelings and give you more energy overall.
  • missie0611
    Options
    Can you meet with a registered dietitian who can help you build a nutritious food plan based on your work schedule? I'd focus on eating the proper amount of food and getting all your nutrients in and work on learning your true hunger signals.

Fueling your body properly should even out your hunger and fullness feelings and give you more energy overall.

I'll talk with my doctor and find a RD to speak with. Thank you!! :smile:
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This past week I've been struggling with appetite. Its never happened to me before... I'm hoping next week I'll get my appetite back. I hope you do too.