80% of American pre-packaged foods BANNED

Options
13»

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    These are effects of acetic acid, something that's found in just about every bottled salad dressing in the US! Shocking!

-Exposure by any route may be harmful
     Chemical classification: corrosive
     Inhalation can cause irritation of the eyes and nose with sore throat, cough, chest tightness, headache and confusion
     Ingestion of large amounts of acetic acid may cause burning of the mouth and throat, stomach pain and diarrhoea
     Contact with the skin can cause burns
     Contact with the eyes causes pain, watering eyes and increased sensitivity to light

It's vinegar.

You can also clean your toilet with it.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I LOVE prepacked foods...
    Although my idea of prepacked foods is Organic Soups, Organic Tofu and tinned Beans.

Processed foods taste artificial, don't resemble any REAL food that I've ever seen and give me a nasty headache!

Life is 100% better without processed crap!!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The EU is also very fond of economic protectionism. The more preserved/processed foods they can demonize, the more they can protect domestic food production.

To think that everything (hell, anything) a government does is pure intentioned and in your best interest is naive.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Alright, discuss my friends. Do you eat processed foods or avoid it like the plague? Trying to switch over? Or do you simply... not care?

I do not avoid them like the plague, I eat them sometimes. Primarily snacks. It's very rare that I'd have a whole meal pre-prepared except in a restaurant (and I don't consider fast food a restaurant). They don't taste as good as my cooking and are more expensive. I love to cook, so I don't have any reason to eat pre-prepared meals.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The EU is also very fond of economic protectionism. The more preserved/processed foods they can demonize, the more they can protect domestic food production.

To think that everything (hell, anything) a government does is pure intentioned and in your best interest is naive.

The EU banning something does not impress me. They'll ban anything.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/80-pre-packaged-foods-america-banned-other-countries-135100604.html

I found this article to be rather insightful and a bit unsettling. We KNOW, in the back of our minds, that processed foods are not good for us. Yet somehow we still find a way to convince ourselves that it's okay. The lower calorie packs are easy and convenient, and boy do we love easy and convenient.

I have to say that I've eaten non-processed foods as much as possible for the last week... and have lost 6 lbs. O.O. I changed NOTHING else. That has got to speak VOLUMES. VOLUMES!

I know a good majority of people here agree that processed foods should be kicked to the curb, but I know a lot of people also try to use that processed food in order to lose weight. I mean, coal tar, plastic, bleach, petroleum... how are these things okay? How have they made their way into our food??

Alright, discuss my friends. Do you eat processed foods or avoid it like the plague? Trying to switch over? Or do you simply... not care?

I avoid processed foods 95% of the time. I eat clean mostly and love it. processed foods make me feel fat and like crap. after i eat processed foods i immediately regret it. yet, they are my drug...I still go back 5% of the time. however, I dont eat ding dongs and stuff but have been known to scarf down french fries from the frozen section and plantain chips...
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/80-pre-packaged-foods-america-banned-other-countries-135100604.html

I found this article to be rather insightful and a bit unsettling. We KNOW, in the back of our minds, that processed foods are not good for us. Yet somehow we still find a way to convince ourselves that it's okay. The lower calorie packs are easy and convenient, and boy do we love easy and convenient.

I have to say that I've eaten non-processed foods as much as possible for the last week... and have lost 6 lbs. O.O. I changed NOTHING else. That has got to speak VOLUMES. VOLUMES!

I know a good majority of people here agree that processed foods should be kicked to the curb, but I know a lot of people also try to use that processed food in order to lose weight. I mean, coal tar, plastic, bleach, petroleum... how are these things okay? How have they made their way into our food??

I avoid processed foods 95% of the time. I eat clean mostly and love it. processed foods make me feel fat and like crap. after i eat processed foods i immediately regret it. yet, they are my drug...I still go back 5% of the time. however, I dont eat ding dongs and stuff but have been known to scarf down french fries from the frozen section and plantain chips...
    I TOTALLY think they should be illegal!
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible, but I do still eat it. It is hard to get away from it in the United States. I do not know why the food industry thinks it is ok to put that crap into our food anyways. It has to be the all mighty dollar. Whatever it takes to make a buck these days, and I am sick of hearing about how are we going to feed the population as an excuse. Poisoning the population is not feeding it.
  • thatsbroscience
    Options
    simple solution- dont buy the crap

as long as people keep giving money to companies that produce junk things will never change. i almost never go in grocery stores now because they sell overpriced garbage. half the stuff in whole paycheck sucks.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I never had problems eating bread in Germany, but ever since I am here I really have to watch out, what goes in my belly. After eating some of the bread here my belly bloats up like crazy. Same with the sodas and a lot of other things. Olestra for example is not allowed in Germany, here you find it in fat free chips, this stuff gives you bad diarrhea. So I can't believe that the FDA here is so lax about these things.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Also remember... Europe has recently had some pretty loose rules around what's considered "beef" in food products... It's not some blissful food utopia.

While true, that had nothing to do with added chemicals. I know North Americans don't like the idea, but in Europe we've been eating horse meat for centuries. So true statement, but off topic.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    We do our best at our house to be as natural as possible.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    While I can't say that all packaged foods in the US contain entirely safe ingredients, I can say that the EU is quite ban happy. A few years ago, they were forced to relax rules which essentially banned knobbly carrots and oddly bent cucumbers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008/nov/12/eu-food-veg-cucumber
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    We do our best at our house to be as natural as possible.

But dang I want a Pepsi right now.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    One of my friends on Facebook keeps posting links from this person's blog

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

Some of it I find interesting.
  • braciatrice
    Options
    Bump!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else remember Kaboom cereal? Had a cartoon clown on the package and was sold some 20-30 years ago?
    Okay, that stuff was scary. I bought one box and let our eldest daughter eat it. (Hey, we were all young and stupid at one time or another) and it made her poop literally GLOW!!! Like a high-vis green mass in the toilet. The rest of the box went in the trash.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Home cooking for me - from scratch - always have, always will.
    Grandma taught me to cook when the only processed food was baked beans.
    I love to cook. I love food, and I love to feed people well.