How long does it take if you're consistent?

Options
refuseresist
refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
edited October 2015 in Getting Started
I feel as though I am doomed to be fat (not even skinny-fat) forever. I've been up and down with my weight, I want to lose weight but I want to be ripped and rock hard muscle too. I feel like I am doing the right things but I'm not convinced. My main problem is sticking to a program for any significant duration. How long till I start seeing good changes in my body.

This is more of a moan than anything, I know ;)

Replies

• Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've heard some say (conventional wisdom?) - with consistency: 4 weeks to see it in yourself, 8 weeks for family to see it, and 12 weeks for friends.

How true is that? Not sure - I'm 70ish days in, about -25 pounds. Some friends and family have noticed the change, and I have seen the scale & tape measurements change, but I don't "see it" in the mirror.

That may say more about myself than the process - I don't know & don't know if this answer helped or not....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just be consistent...it takes as long as it takes. eat well, hit the weight room, do some cardio, be consistent and win over time. a fitness body is derived from living a fitness lifestyle...as in for life...as in year in, year out into perpetuity. i've been at this for over three years and my weight is just fine and my body composition is pretty good too...but i'm always putting the work in and noting that over these three years, my body has been in continuous evolution and will be into perpetuity.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Thanks guys.

It's not just about looking a certain way either, is it? I need to remind myself of that sometimes.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I like cwolfman's thoughts - just be consistent.

And, I often have to remind myself - it's a journey, not a destination & enjoy the journey for itself.

Best of luck!
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    No one is destined to be fat... You can do it. You just need to find your calories and stick with them. You don't have to eat cardboard. You can eat great food in your calories. Be sure to get plenty of proteins and carbs in there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys.

It's not just about looking a certain way either, is it? I need to remind myself of that sometimes.

what helped me was to focus on the process of becoming a healthier and more fit person...the process of developing healthy habits and finding those things that work for me personally. i found that when i took the focus off of losing weight, etc and started focusing on this process that it really took a load off and it helped me put things into perspective...at that point I could start to see that weight management in general was a bi-product of the process and a bi-product of doing the things that healthy and fit people do rather than it being the ultimate goal.

I kind of liken it to going to University...when you look at all of the classes and the tests and the months and semesters and years it's going to take to achieve your goals, it can be daunting...never mind thinking about after graduation when the real work starts...but when you take it one day at a time...one class at a time...one test at a time...one semester at a time...and you learn a little more here and a little more there, you eventually earn that degree...and you earn that degree despite probably not acing every single test or every single class and likely struggling with some things more than others...but really, those things don't matter when overall you are being consistent and disciplined towards your goal to earn a degree...the same applies to weight management and fitness.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    B)
  • hillbilly1974
    hillbilly1974 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it is about how much "time" it will actually take you. It is all about a lifestyle change. you have to be willing to continue working at it even when you get to where you want to be to keep it off! I have been walking 6-8 miles a day and eating an 1100 calorie diet for 13 weeks now and have lost about 20 lbs and over 20 inches over my entire body. I went from a size 12 to a size 6! (no diet pills just walking and 1100c and pushing myself HARD) I eat anything that I want just keep within the 1100 calories a day it has been tough for sure but I know that if I miss a day of walking I can definitely feel it in my body! So keep up the hard work and good luck with your transition!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It took me about 40 pounds to really feel like I'd gotten somewhere. I had small victories along the way, I dropped 3 pant sizes but that first pant size took forever and the others just seemed to happen so fast after that. Just stick with it, take measurements and keep track of your scale losses. The small things add up.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    To be consistent, you need to be doing things you can keep up with. If you try too much of a calorie deficit, or workout 8 days a week, or never eat anything you enjoy, you won't last long. Make changes you can live with if you want to be consistent. Then it won't matter so much how long it takes because the journey won't seem so impossible.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say Sepultura rocks!
  • javarob66
    javarob66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The rewards are many, but not always obvious. I loved the side by side face pictures that I saw in another thread. I am sure folks didn't realize the changes going on at the moment. You just won't hardly notice weight loss day by day. Someone who hasn't seen you for a few months will definitely notice. Another consideration that seems distant is your health over your lifetime. Reducing your weight will decrease the chance of getting a multitude of serious health disorders. Carrying around a bunch of extra weight is hard on your joints too. I lost 50 lbs a few years ago and the difference on my knees was incredible. I also went from needing to eat tums constantly to rarely if ever. Now that I gained it all back, my knees ache constantly and I have ferocious heartburn again. There are too many rewards to give up. Keep on truckin', you can do it!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It takes forever to be consistent. That is how long we have to stick with it to avoid gaining the weight back.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

what helped me was to focus on the process of becoming a healthier and more fit person...the process of developing healthy habits and finding those things that work for me personally. i found that when i took the focus off of losing weight, etc and started focusing on this process that it really took a load off and it helped me put things into perspective...at that point I could start to see that weight management in general was a bi-product of the process and a bi-product of doing the things that healthy and fit people do rather than it being the ultimate goal.

Recently had the ephiphany that it isn't a diet, it is about heating healthy for life. Thanks for putting it so well, cwolfman.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Believe me, if you can go consistently for, say, ten months, pretty soon people will be coming up to you and saying things like, "Hey, how much more weight are you going to lose...?" in a concerned tone.

(Twenty pounds, more, actually, and then I'll be in the "Healthy" BMI. They're just used to me fifty pounds ago...)
  • H34v3nlySinsx3
    H34v3nlySinsx3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've heard some say (conventional wisdom?) - with consistency: 4 weeks to see it in yourself, 8 weeks for family to see it, and 12 weeks for friends...

I actually would say it's the other way around, personally. It takes about 4 weeks for people you don't see everyday to notice. It takes about 8 weeks for your close friends and family to see a difference. And it takes about 12 weeks (or more!) For you to really see results! (Which could mean a huge drop in weight, pants size or simply what you see in the mirror!) But definitely stick with it. Because YOU see yourself everyday. It's hard to notice little changes progress because YOU see it while it's happening! Give it time.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some good points here
    Trying to enjoy the process and lifestyle seems to be key
  • khwicklund
    khwicklund Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've heard some say (conventional wisdom?) - with consistency: 4 weeks to see it in yourself, 8 weeks for family to see it, and 12 weeks for friends.

How true is that? Not sure - I'm 70ish days in, about -25 pounds. Some friends and family have noticed the change, and I have seen the scale & tape measurements change, but I don't "see it" in the mirror.

That may say more about myself than the process - I don't know & don't know if this answer helped or not....

This is so true, I've been faithfully doing my MFP for 12 weeks now and yesterday it seem like the first time my co-workers finally noticed the 34 pounds I've lost. I've felt it after 4 weeks and felt strong (will power) enough to know I wouldn't slip. It's a lot easier to resist all the junk food that is brought into work.
  • lmanasero
    lmanasero Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like cwolfman's thoughts - just be consistent.

And, I often have to remind myself - it's a journey, not a destination & enjoy the journey for itself.

Best of luck!

I just want to say, I am also trying to lose weight (10-15 lbs), I have never been really over weight but have always had to work out if I wanted to keep off any fat and have muscle. I know my journey might be different than someone else's journey. Thinking of working out and being healthy as a journey instead of a destination is actually a really good way to think about it. I think most importantly don't go to any extremes, like don't starve yourself until you lose 20 lbs or whatever. I also think working out can get boring so find things you actually enjoy doing that make you feel really good and keep you interested for the long haul. I used to always work out at home and the last couple years I would be good for a while and then quit and I think I was just burned out on doing the same exact thing. This year I joined a gym and it is new and exciting but there is also so many things to do there that if I get bored I can switch it up and still get a good work out. I think for me I get addicted to the feeling you have after you workout and it motivates me to get up at 4:15am every day and go to the gym. I hate how I feel all day when I don't go. I almost don't care what I look like because I feel so awesome inside, I am losing weight and gaining muscle so I am accomplishing my goal. The other thing I would suggest is a workout buddy, I have a friend I meet at the gym in the morning and it helps on the days that I don't feel so motivated to get out of bed.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Did you take s "before" pic? If not, do do today! It is easier to see changes in side by side pics than the mirror. Changes in pics can sometimes be seen within 10 pounds. It also depends on what kind of immediate change you're looking for.