Are you treated differently after weight loss?

Options
I've recently crossed over the threshold on the BMI chart that says I'm no longer overweight. Wow, it's been over 20 years since I could say that, and a good portion of that time I was in the obese category. Now that I'm "normal" weight, I notice I'm treated differently. People are nicer to me, I get better service at bars & restauratns, I get more attention from clerks in retail stores. And some people I work with are more stand-off-ish.

Anyone have experience with being treated differently at different weights?

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Yes I've noticed some difference, but I really don't know if it's them or me? People are nicer, but I'm happier so maybe that is why.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! It's great you made it to your sweet success. As for the different
    treatment, I don't appear to have as much to lose as I actually do .. due to weight
    training so when out in stores and public ppl tend to be very nice, which is a shell
    shock for me. It is opposite but there is one negative, I live where there are a lot
    of other wmn and none were the warmest types but now they are worse. I guess
    not everyone can be nicer but when I do get treated nicer, it sure feels great.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a huge difference. But I think part of it is just that I am a lot more confident, and more likely to make eye contact, smile, etc.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I get hit on a lot more. It's nice.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    People actually make eye contact with me now.
    Lots of smiles, makes me nervous, lol.

I'm just not used to it but learning to embrace it as I continue towards my fitness goals. :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yes I have noticed that too. I'm 65 but the other day whilst I was out Nordic Walking, I got wolf whistled by some builders!
    however, they WERE up on a roof, and I think their eyesight was suspect LOL!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Not in general. I am treated differently by men, but that's to be expected.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think it's because of confidence, not so much the way you look. People respond positively to confidence whether you're fit and trim or fat and out of shape.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Nope, not at all actually. But then again I don't act any differently either.
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35lbs, I am not even at a "healthy weight" yet, still 12lbs off with a bit of a belly, and 23lbs off from goal. Even guys that know I have a boyfriend tend to give me more attention and nice comments about how I look. It's still so weird for me. I'm 19 and in college, and the last time I was small I was 14 y/o (120lbs) and in middle school. I notice I'm receiving about the same amount of attention again just in a more adult manner :blushing:
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm not sure how to handle it. People are generally nicer. I get a lot more doors held open for me.

But I've noticed the flipside, too. I've still got about 30-35 pounds to lose, but I've started getting some stink-eye from some women. At first it made me feel sort of bad, like I had done something to inadvertently offend them. Then I thought maybe they didn't like tall women (I'm 5'11")? But then I realized I couldn't have possibly have done anything. So now it just makes me laugh. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I just shake my head and go on about my day.
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that too, but I also agree with the others that have suggested it's a direct response to my confidence going up ~ I tend to make eye contact more and smile too, so I think they're responding to that. Two years ago I was wearing shapeless skirts, t shirts, hair always in a ponytail, and considered myself "just a mom" ~ now that I've changed on the outside AND inside, I find that I'm embracing life again, and I think people are just naturally drawn to that. :)
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes I have noticed that too. I'm 65 but the other day whilst I was out Nordic Walking, I got wolf whistled by some builders!
    however, they WERE up on a roof, and I think their eyesight was suspect LOL!

Oh your post made me smile - thank you for sharing. And do not underestimate your "whistle worthy-ness" or their eyesight! I'm sure they knew exactly what they were whoo-hooing at and that you deserved it. Awesome, proof you can rock it always :tongue:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    nope still not treated any differently than when i was heavier.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    sometimes I have been given dirty looks by other women but I just chalk it up to jealousy