breakfast

Options
georgesgeri83
georgesgeri83 Posts: 22 Member
What are some good ideas for breakfast - quick, healthy, satisfying?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to make crustless quiche and eat it over 4 days. Under 150 calories each 1/4 and very filling. I vary the ingredients but it usually has some bacon along with veggies.
    t4ac4ok1id7o.jpg
    yovggaa3534p.jpg
    77baxnaxfum3.jpg
  • weyayechickenpie
    weyayechickenpie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That looks amazing please share the recipe.
    I tend to have scrambled eggs on toast or tomatoes on toast with poached eggs.
  • georgesgeri83
    Options
    Yum! They look great. I have made scrambled eggs with a tbsp of cheddar cheese, sometimes with spinach. I'm looking forward to trying your quiche!
  • Queenmunchy
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Super easy. Cook 4 slices of chopped center cut bacon until crispy, remove and keep the bacon fat. Add your veggies and cook until soft. A lot of veggies - I add around 8-10oz of veggies depending on what mixture I want. Remove from heat. Beat 4 eggs, 4 egg whites (3/4 cup liquid egg whites), 1/4 cup skim milk and salt and pepper. Add all of your veggies, egg mixture, and bacon to a parchment lined cake pan, add raw tomatoes and/or scallion and bake at 400 for about 20 mins (sometimes a little over) until set.

Pics above are
    #1: bacon, mushroom, kale, scallion, tomato
    #2: bacon, cabbage, scallion
    #3: bacon, spinach, tomato
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Sometimes if my meal plan is low I add extra extra sharp cheese shredded on top. This morning I added a veggie/oxtail marinara with a little bit of Romano to make it more of a pizza frittata.
  • SparkyTinman
    SparkyTinman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are a rockstar! I can't wait to try these! Love that it is a single effort that you reap the benefits of over four days!!
  • Queenmunchy
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You are a rockstar! I can't wait to try these! Love that it is a single effort that you reap the benefits of over four days!!

Omg, I'm a batch cooker/freezer cooker and have been for about 8 years. If I didn't do it, I would struggle every single day. I'd much rather do the work once and reap the benefits many, many times!
  • SparkyTinman
    Options
    Whoops - forgot to add my breakfast ideas for you Georgegeri83! I like to prepare mason jars of breakfast and keep them in the fridge for grab and go. I vary the quantities depending on who I am feeding because my boys eat them too.
    Yogurt Jars
    Layer the ingredients:
    Greek yogurt (I use vanilla)
    Cinnamon/Chia Seeds
    Blueberries
    Chopped strawberries
    Granola
    (My boys like bananas added so they do it right before so they do not go brown.
    If you have the right sized jars you can eat it right out of the jar.

Oatmeal Jar
    Layer Steel-Cut Oatmeal (or Quinoa!)
    (Mix in some maple syrup once cooked and divide between jars)
    Add the same Cinnamon/Chia/Berries as above on top and place in the fridge for grab and go.
    I add milk just before eating and eat cold because I don't mind it. You can remove the lid and reheat in the jar in the microwave.

I entered the recipes with the quantities I find filling and it is roughly 225-250 a jar.
    You can enter your own quantities on the 'My Recipes' if you like the idea to get the calorie count per jar. Hope this helps!
  • georgesgeri83
    Options
    Queenmunchy...thanks for the recipes. I don't think even the batches will last long in my house...I have my husband and two male teenage exchange students for the school year. Everything is fair game...do you ever freeze your quiche?

SparkyTinman...what size jars do you use?

Thank you both. Breakfast is the meal I have the most trouble with, but I think if I do what you two are suggesting, I can have a variety of things pre-prepared.
  • SparkyTinman
    Options
    Hi georgesgeri83 - I will try to show you a picture - not sure if I will load it properly so hope it works!
  • SparkyTinman
    Options
    Not sure what happened to the rest of my post?! I use 'small jelly jars' - sorry - don't know the size.
    This one is 100g vanilla greek yogurt, 1/2 cup blackberries and 1/3 cup granola and is 250 calories total. The next size up jars are better to 'mix and eat' but since we all eat them now I use smaller jars for space efficiency :)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I like to make crustless quiche and eat it over 4 days. Under 150 calories each 1/4 and very filling. I vary the ingredients but it usually has some bacon along with veggies.
    t4ac4ok1id7o.jpg
    yovggaa3534p.jpg
    77baxnaxfum3.jpg

Recipes please lol
    Love to make them :)

95069916.png
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    To control my LDL, I promised my doctor to eat oatmeal every day. Not an oatmeal fan, I've discovered this way to jazz it up so I can enjoy it:

Cooked in a pan, not a pot.
    In the pan, toss in about 1/4 cup of steel cut oats, along with about a tablespoon or more of a blend of equal parts cinnamon and ginger, mixed with a bit of sugar.
    Add a half a teaspoon of dark/dutch processed cocoa powder (dark chocolate is also good for lowering LDL)
    Toast this for a bit, until you can smell the cinnamon/ginger
    Add around a cup of water. It'll bubble up almost at once.
    Mix it around, and let things absorb. I like it as near to a solid mass as I can get it, but choose your own texture.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    t4ac4ok1id7o.jpg
    yovggaa3534p.jpg
    77baxnaxfum3.jpg

Recipes please lol

95069916.png

Recipe above! :)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    t4ac4ok1id7o.jpg
    yovggaa3534p.jpg
    77baxnaxfum3.jpg

Recipes please lol

95069916.png

Recipe above! :)

Thank you completely overlooked that post hehehe
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    @Queenmunchy you are my here. I hope I have the patience to make this someday.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I've been on a zoats kick lately. Bulk up your oats with zucchini and add whatever you like for toppings.

Here are some pumpkin zoats

edcnhcn2wuqy.jpg

Peanut butter/oreo zoats

yaxccxfdgcz6.jpg

• Queenmunchy
    Options
    What are some good ideas for breakfast - quick, healthy, satisfying?
    arditarose wrote: »
    @Queenmunchy you are my here. I hope I have the patience to make this someday.

Prep takes maybe 15 minutes, but it's so worth it to heat and eat!
  • georgesgeri83
    Options
    These are great ideas. Thanks everyone. I've already made a quiche. & as I suspected it's already gone. Will be trying all of these.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For those monster male appetites I suggest steel cut oats. Prepare the night before by bringing it to a boil then turn off the heat. The water will be absorbed in the morning. Hide your portion.