Has anyone's lifestyle generally changed since you started the weight loss effort?

Options
Have your cravings tamed?

Do you tend to park further and take the stairs out of habit?

Are your cheat days remarkably still healthier than how you used to eat on a daily basis?

I'm just curious, I've heard the "it takes 21 days to develop a habit" but I never really noticed until recently that I generally eat less and eat healthier. Also I'm super inclined to do the physical labor just to burn some extra calories. Need me to move that prehistoric television? Need me to bench press my son to sleep? I'm on it. /flex

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I think generally, once you do this for awhile, you realize SO much has changed. A few things for me come to mind:
    Even when on a logging break, you mentally know how many calories are in something.
    I tend to get up and move more throughout the day
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat more active than before, although I always liked to walk. I don't use elevators anymore since now I can reach the top without gasping like a dying carp. Biggest changes are just sticking to a diet and exercise plan, and (oddly enough) being more organized in general. I guess once I got one piece of my life in order I wanted to get others too.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Even when I think I over eat, I am usually eating at or below maintenance. I enjoy moving now, so I do more of it and even look forward to it. My endurance has so improved. I am so happy, I don't want to go back to the before.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I went at it a bit differently. I changed my lifestyle pretty dramatically. Improved my home environment, got a better job that allowed me to afford a higher standard of living. (from poverty to lower middle class)

I was already very active but suffered from severe depression and anxiety created by my situation. Eating was unfortunately my only source of comfort. So I ate a lot and since I was poor I ate poor quality in big portions. Once I got rid of most of the causes of my stress and depression I was ready to tackle the nutritional component.

I do find that I get out and do more things on my days off rather than sitting in front of the TV or reading all day. I also have energy to clean house when I get home from work. But again I think these are more related to the improvement in my emotional health and sense of well being.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I definitely have noticed that I take the stairs as often as possible and don't mind parking further from store entrances. I don't necessarily eat "healthier" food, but I notice I fill up faster on the same foods. I used to be able to demolish a pint of ice cream, a bag of hot cheetos, and a regular coke for dinner (college meals amiright?). Even if I wanted to do that now, I probably couldn't.
  • CardiLuxe
    CardiLuxe Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yeeessss! Omg especially the taking the stairs thing. You don't even think anything of it. And it's way quicker Lol.
    And you literally stop craving crap everyday.
    Grocery shopping is fun because you realize you cannn Enjoy your favorite healthy recipes and can't wait to feed different parts of your body. But obviously some days, you don't mind eating crap. But the healthy lifestyle seems more like something to look forward too rather than a chore. After you genuinely appreciate yourself and find what works for you!
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Things definitely get easier as you go along. Keep track of your NSV to be able to really see the change.

I find my lifestyle has changed a lot. I can do more now than I used to be able to and it's wonderful!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Well if there isn't a change, then there's probably little to no results happening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My life is completely changed. My diet has changed a bit just because I found some new foods I love to help me hit my macros better, or keep me fuller longer. Otherwise, it has changed because I have found a new passion-lifting. I'm a passionate person in general and a musician, but music has taken a back seat to my fitness goals. My life revolves around lifting and food. (That sounds kind of sad but I'm very happy).
  • alien_type0
    alien_type0 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I'm somewhat more active than before, although I always liked to walk. I don't use elevators anymore since now I can reach the top without gasping like a dying carp. Biggest changes are just sticking to a diet and exercise plan, and (oddly enough) being more organized in general. I guess once I got one piece of my life in order I wanted to get others too.

Omg @ the dying carp. Back when I was really chubby in school stairs were the only option, and of course the classroom is always dead silent before the professor got in. I'm not sure if breathing like a "dying carp", or turning red from trying to not look stupid actually made me look stupid.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Mine has changed in that I watch a fraction of the TV I used to watch. I'm not up on any shows and on the rare occasion I do decide to watch, I usually end up watching Seinfeld reruns.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Completely!! I feel so much better...look better..clothes fit better. Im proud of my achievements. I don't cheat myself. Realizing protein gives so much energy. Ive been focusing on macros instead of just watching calorie intake. Yes its a total transformation in everything. Ive learned so much about control. Noones going to do this but me. Its self respect and Im loving it!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Biggest change is the amount of activity my whole family has done this summer. Tons of hiking together, it's been fantastic! Keeping up with my nine year old twins HUGE accomplishment!!!! (their batteries never die!)

• voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'll echo what everyone else has mentioned as well. There are times where I don't even debate a choice like making breakfast [healthy variety] or grabbing a handful of whatever...and there are still some things that will probably require additional time to instill the necessary behavior patterns (i.e., consciously moving more on off-days, because I'm all about a cup of tea and a good book on an off-day :smiley: ).

All that aside, it's definitely a process, and one that I am very happy about embarking upon. It is totally worth it, and will be for the long-term.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Activity wise, yes. I look at every chore and errand as an opportunity for a little more movement. It's actually a nice way to live as I don't dread chores any more.

But regarding food: cravings are still a struggle. Not any one particular food. I just really want to eat A LOT of something. I can't if I want to continue this path. I faithfully log and eat mostly nutritious foods to keep me full and meet my macros. I have something salty and or sweet too. But eating less is a struggle every day. Even now as I'm only a few lbs away from goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely way more active now. I can't stand staying home all day anymore and aim for at least 6 hours of exercise a week, sometimes more, but life happens and I can't fit it some days (or my legs just really need a rest). But if I'm home and I have something to watch on TV, I'll hop on the exercise bike instead of the couch, for example. And if I need a break on the week end I'll go to the gym instead of going shopping or locking myself in my room.

Food wise, I am much better with moderation and my tastes have changed a bit (not for the sweet stuff though unfortunately), but when I'm hungry I could still eat the whole house.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, I like to do all the things you mention and more, just because "I can". It wasn't that long ago I couldn't do a lot of things and I am so grateful for the progress I've made. I'm also thankful that I don't have the cravings and food desires I used to have and could not conquer. Life is good.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    As part of my "lifestyle change" and learning to eat better I registered for a course from the local Health Clinic called Weight Wise which re-trained us about Food and hidden calories. One of the things they stressed is that " Movement Matters" so I learned to swim.
    Which led to a challenge by a fellow rookie swimmer to do the local Sprint Tri-Athlon.
    This then led to upgrading my Bike and taking up Running with the local running club.
    Running led to 3 different races ( 10km ) and at least 2 runs per week with the Club members. A great mix of Speedy Road Runners to Slow Turtles. As other people have said my TV is getting very lonely and dusty.
    It is a viscous cycle as my health improves and as my weight has dropped, my BMR and BP have also dropped. The lower BMR means I have to do a little more exercise to keep a small calorie deficit.

More aware of Food Craving Triggers and ways to satisfy the beast without over-indulging.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Have your cravings tamed?

Do you tend to park further and take the stairs out of habit?

Are your cheat days remarkably still healthier than how you used to eat on a daily basis?

I'm just curious, I've heard the "it takes 21 days to develop a habit" but I never really noticed until recently that I generally eat less and eat healthier. Also I'm super inclined to do the physical labor just to burn some extra calories. Need me to move that prehistoric television? Need me to bench press my son to sleep? I'm on it. /flex

For me, so much has changed.
    • I no longer categorize food as good or bad, it's all simply food.
    • I no longer beat myself up for having treats, I work them into my days.
    • I no longer tell myself I can't have certain foods, I eat all foods I love in moderation.
    • I no longer think certain foods make me fat, I know it's the overall surplus that does that.
    • I no longer give power to food, I have complete power over what I put in my mouth.
    • I no longer eat to live, I live to eat.

Food is fuel, food is delicious, fun, and fantastic, and it's sometimes it provides the exact comfort I need at the time.

Moderation is key in all things for me.

To answer your questions:

Cravings: yes, because I no longer ignore them and I make sure I'm eating enough.
    Stairs: Nope. Don't like stairs. I also don't part further away because I am assigned a certain area to park at work.
    Cheat Day: I don't believe in them. I simply eat what I want in moderation.

Congrats on the changes you've made in your life too! :)

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Nope.

Nobody's life has ever changed.

Just you.

You're the only one ...