Core Getting Thicker?

Options
Hey all.

A while back, I started eating healthier and actually exercising (I was pretty sedentary prior to that). I had decent success, losing about 20 pounds and definitely feeling better about my stomach.

Lately, I've been feeling like I'm gaining again. I check the scale, and I've only gained 2 pounds (which doesn't bother me, tbh), but the way I feel and look is much thicker than I have been, to the point that my clothes are fitting differently.

I haven't drastically changed my diet (minor fluctuations but not actual changes) or my workout. For the last while, I've been regularly doing 30 Day Shred (Jillian Michaels) every 2nd day, and on the days in between I do a number of different types of crunches and some yoga (occassionally taking a day off).

I've read that it's possible that too much focus on crunches can start to lead to a more straight, thicker core, which definitely describes how I'm feeling/what I'm seeing - it still seems lean and I can feel the muscles, but it just seems thick. Could it be possible, since I'm doing ab work daily, that I'm overdoing it? Could it be beneficial to reduce ab work to 1-2 days a week and put more focus on cardio to get back to how I was feeling?

Thanks.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    So, you are noticing more fat over your abs? You could be very bloated, or those two pounds are making a difference. Doing too many crunches doesn't have anything to do with it.
  • discordany
    discordany Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, that's the thing - I'm not noticing more fat at all. It still seems lean, and in fact, more defined, and I can definitely feel the muscle. But it's just... larger. If that makes sense.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Have your measurements actually gone up?
  • arditarose
    Options
    discordany wrote: »
    No, that's the thing - I'm not noticing more fat at all. It still seems lean, and in fact, more defined, and I can definitely feel the muscle. But it's just... larger. If that makes sense.

Have you taken measurements?

What are you doing, calorie wise-maintenance, deficit, surplus? What are your goals?
  • adisehic
    adisehic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Your body is going to grow however you're genetically predisposed to grow. everyone is different.
  • discordany
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

AS of right now, about half an inch larger than this time last week. Granted, I've been feeling like crap today (which is why it's so on my mind), but at this moment, it's also the leanest I think I've felt for a long time. (As in, I'm not feeling bloated right now, just large).
  • arditarose
    Options

AS of right now, about half an inch larger than this time last week. Granted, I've been feeling like crap today (which is why it's so on my mind), but at this moment, it's also the leanest I think I've felt for a long time. (As in, I'm not feeling bloated right now, just large).

I think maybe your mind is messing with you. My waist measurement fluctuates between 26 and 27 inches throughout the month, or even the day.
  • discordany
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I think maybe your mind is messing with you. My waist measurement fluctuates between 26 and 27 inches throughout the month, or even the day.

I mean, I considered that, but it's been an ongoing thing for a while (feeling increasingly larger) and like I said, my clothes are definitely starting to feel and look different.

I mean, it could certainly be something other than the ab exercise thing. But I'm pretty sure it's something. I guess I was just hoping so I would know what I could try ;)
  • discordany
    Options
    adisehic wrote: »
    Your body is going to grow however you're genetically predisposed to grow. everyone is different.

That's fair. However, I was at a point where I was really happy with my body and just trying to maintain, so feeling worse than that kind of sucks. I guess I'd just like to get to where I was and stay there?
  • adisehic
    adisehic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    adisehic wrote: »

That's fair. However, I was at a point where I was really happy with my body and just trying to maintain, so feeling worse than that kind of sucks. I guess I'd just like to get to where I was and stay there?

Go back to your logs and look at your carbs/fats/protein/sodium and see how they differ to what you're getting in now.
  • arditarose
    Options

I mean, I considered that, but it's been an ongoing thing for a while (feeling increasingly larger) and like I said, my clothes are definitely starting to feel and look different.

I mean, it could certainly be something other than the ab exercise thing. But I'm pretty sure it's something. I guess I was just hoping so I would know what I could try ;)

What are your stats? You said you gained two pounds. Honestly, I feel and see two pounds on myself.

Take measurements in general. You still haven't answered whether you are in a deficit or not. If you are, sometimes you lose inches in other places, which can make you feel like your tummy is bigger but it really hasn't changed.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Does it feel all firm and hard up the sides of your abdomen/waist? If it doesn't, it won't be the oblique exercises as the cause. If it feels hard and bigger there, it's within the realm of possibility, imho. But the half inch won't show unless you wear some really tight outfits with no stretch ;)
  • discordany
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Does it feel all firm and hard up the sides of your abdomen/waist? If it doesn't, it won't be the oblique exercises as the cause. If it feels hard and bigger there, it's within the realm of possibility, imho. But the half inch won't show unless you wear some really tight outfits with no stretch ;)

Yes, and I'm talking dress pants ;)

But I'm not 100% stuck on the idea of it being ab work..... it seems to me that people are very sure that's not it? I honestly don't know enough about that.

What are your stats? You said you gained two pounds. Honestly, I feel and see two pounds on myself.

Take measurements in general. You still haven't answered whether you are in a deficit or not. If you are, sometimes you lose inches in other places, which can make you feel like your tummy is bigger but it really hasn't changed.

Stats are: Originally, 148 pounds, no measurements taken. At the point I felt great, 126 pounds. Now, 128 pounds. Measurements, I tend to be more focused on the "pooch" area (does that make sense?) than my true waist - that was about 134 at my best, now is about 134.5-135. I thought it was regular fluctuations (weight and size) but it's lingered. ALSO I should note that I care more about the fact that my stomach is not staying flat like it was at the time. (Should I care about that? Arguably maybe not, but I do)

As for deficits, etc - I honestly haven't been a huge tracker. What I've been doing has been working for me, and I was happy with that. Based on previous results when eating similarly/getting the same physical activity, I'd say I'm maintaining, but could be in a deficit.

• arditarose
    edited October 2015
    Options

But I'm not 100% stuck on the idea of it being ab work..... it seems to me that people are very sure that's not it? I honestly don't know enough about that.

Stats are: Originally, 148 pounds, no measurements taken. At the point I felt great, 126 pounds. Now, 128 pounds. Measurements, I tend to be more focused on the "pooch" area (does that make sense?) than my true waist - that was about 134 at my best, now is about 134.5-135. I thought it was regular fluctuations (weight and size) but it's lingered.

As for deficits, etc - I honestly haven't been a huge tracker. What I've been doing has been working for me, and I was happy with that. Based on previous results when eating similarly/getting the same physical activity, I'd say I'm maintaining, but could be in a deficit.

What you are saying about 134 being your "best" is confusing me. You thought your stomach looked smaller when you weighed more? But now you gained weight and are somewhere in between the two weights? So confused.

I think you are confused as well. What are your goals? I know what you have been doing has been working for you, but being aware of your intake puts you better in control, and makes it so you can understand these little gains, how to lose again if you want, etc.

• discordany
    Options

Stats are: Originally, 148 pounds, no measurements taken. At the point I felt great, 126 pounds. Now, 128 pounds. Measurements, I tend to be more focused on the "pooch" area (does that make sense?) than my true waist - that was about 134 at my best, now is about 134.5-135. I thought it was regular fluctuations (weight and size) but it's lingered.

What you are saying about 134 being your "best" is confusing me. You thought your stomach looked smaller when you weighed more? But now you gained weight and are somewhere in between the two weights? So confused.

I think you are confused as well. What are your goals? I know what you have been doing has been working for you, but being aware of your intake puts you better in control, and makes it so you can understand these little gains, how to lose again if you want, etc.

Sorry, the confusion there is - the numbers in the 120s are pounds, the numbers in the 130s are inches. So yeah, 134 is smaller than 134.5-135. SO like, I weighed 126 while my stomach was 134. No, I did not feel better at a higher weight.

I don't really love being told I'm being confused by my own goals, tbh. I said earlier that I had simply wanted to maintain, but now that this is happening, I would like to return to that point and then maintain. I am aware of my intake as far as servings, serving sizes, and amounts of certain types of foods, but no, I don't typically count calories - that may be a great tool for many people, but it hadn't been necessary for me. Maybe I would benefit from it now that I've lost a lot of the weight I had, and am trying to stay at one point, and I'm certainly willing to entertain that idea, but that doesn't help with my current info.
  • arditarose
    Options

Sorry, the confusion there is - the numbers in the 120s are pounds, the numbers in the 130s are inches. So yeah, 134 is smaller than 134.5-135. SO like, I weighed 126 while my stomach was 134. No, I did not feel better at a higher weight.

I don't really love being told I'm being confused by my own goals, tbh. I said earlier that I had simply wanted to maintain, but now that this is happening, I would like to return to that point and then maintain. I am aware of my intake as far as servings, serving sizes, and amounts of certain types of foods, but no, I don't typically count calories - that may be a great tool for many people, but it hadn't been necessary for me. Maybe I would benefit from it now that I've lost a lot of the weight I had, and am trying to stay at one point, and I'm certainly willing to entertain that idea, but that doesn't help with my current info.

You are measuring 134 inches for your waist?

If you are not confused, do what you did before to lose the 2 lbs, then maintain your weight. I don't know how to help with your current info unfortunately. Progress pics would be helpful.
  • discordany
    Options

If you are not confused, do what you did before to lose the 2 lbs, then maintain your weight. I don't know how to help with your current info unfortunately. Progress pics would be helpful.

Well, as I tried to explain (in a confusing way) a few comments ago, my true waist measurements are not the part bothering me, rather than the part just around bellybutton level - that's what the measurement I gave was for, because it's what's bothering me. While I understand this sounds like bloating, I have never bloated in a way that has felt not-flabby before, and it has been ongoing longer than typical bloating would for me.

Apologies because I thought you were saying I was confused about what I want. I'm simply not sure how to get it, because what I'm doing hasn't changed - I did it to get to the point I liked, continued doing it, and now I'm here. That's why I was looking for potential solutions.

I appreciate you trying to help, and understand if you can't. I mean, I don't know the answer either. Maybe it's just a thing that happens sometimes. Who knows.

As for progress pics, didn't take them. This was not originally meant to be a weight loss thing, just a conscious decision to be healthier. It turned into weight loss and higher self confidence, but I still felt no need to take pics as it was purely personal.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    "Does it feel all firm and hard up the sides of your abdomen/waist? If it doesn't, it won't be the oblique exercises as the cause. If it feels hard and bigger there, it's within the realm of possibility, imho. But the half inch won't show unless you wear some really tight outfits with no stretch ;)"

No, it is possible that it is ab work was what I meant. That's why I asked what it felt like. I think my obliques have made me gain a bit on the tape measure, and they feel different. I've been trying to put on muscle.

The lower tummy pooch is something I tend to have and I notice it within 4-5 lbs, myself. Or two real lbs if we count bloating days. It's the very first place I gain, darnit.

• arditarose
    Options

Well, as I tried to explain (in a confusing way) a few comments ago, my true waist measurements are not the part bothering me, rather than the part just around bellybutton level - that's what the measurement I gave was for, because it's what's bothering me. While I understand this sounds like bloating, I have never bloated in a way that has felt not-flabby before, and it has been ongoing longer than typical bloating would for me.

Apologies because I thought you were saying I was confused about what I want. I'm simply not sure how to get it, because what I'm doing hasn't changed - I did it to get to the point I liked, continued doing it, and now I'm here. That's why I was looking for potential solutions.

I appreciate you trying to help, and understand if you can't. I mean, I don't know the answer either. Maybe it's just a thing that happens sometimes. Who knows.

As for progress pics, didn't take them. This was not originally meant to be a weight loss thing, just a conscious decision to be healthier. It turned into weight loss and higher self confidence, but I still felt no need to take pics as it was purely personal.

But...you can't possibly be measure 130 something inches there. Are you using inches?

I understand you are concerned about the measurement. You don't think it's bloating..okay. It's just hard to help without knowing your intake, training, or even seeing a picture.

If you want to drop those pounds you gained back, just use the app :) You can enter to lose .5 lbs per week, log your food, and you'll be back where you were more comfortable. And who knows, maybe the tummy measurement will go back down. Two-five pounds can change my waist measurement for sure.
  • discordany
    Options

But...you can't possibly be measure 130 something inches there. Are you using inches?

I understand you are concerned about the measurement. You don't think it's bloating..okay. It's just hard to help without knowing your intake, training, or even seeing a picture.

If you want to drop those pounds you gained back, just use the app :) You can enter to lose .5 lbs per week, log your food, and you'll be back where you were more comfortable. And who knows, maybe the tummy measurement will go back down. Two-five pounds can change my waist measurement for sure.

I'm curious why I couldn't measure that - what would be typical?
    And I'm not trying to be shady there. Like, I legit a curious, because I've often wondered if I'm doing something wrong while measuring. However, I also have justified it by saying "well, I'm doing the same thing wrong each time, so if the number changes, it still means I've (gone down/gone up)."