The truth comes out

Options
Today I am at my highest weight, I am 19 years old and I have so many goals and aspirations that I cannot complete as an obese adult. I often repress my issues and move them to the very back of my conscience, this is lethal. I ignore my issues until days like these where I step on that scale and see the huge number and actually process that I am doing something wrong. I am a full time college student with a crazy appetite and love of food. I'm not very active which is terrible because I have been paying for a gym membership for years now that is going unused. I'm not sure what I'm lacking or what I need to open my eyes to see that I seriously, SERIOUSLY have to do this and have to become healthy. I would appreciate any support, honesty, and love as it is really hard for me to be truthful to myself about this and has been ever since I have been overweight. I really need to do this for myself and stick to it. Thank you.

Replies

• adisehic
    adisehic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's hard to break habits you've lived with your whole life. track a normal day of eating for you, look at what you need to work on and then work from there. As far as the gym goes, you just have to go... Once you get yourself in the habit of going, you'll learn to love it, and seeing those numbers change on the scale will motivate you.
  • ashleystidham
    ashleystidham Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You've already identified it as something you want. Now you have to make it happen. Look at it just like your studies, the more you put into it, the more you will get out.

Recognizing it now is a good thing. You can change your habits and live most of your adult life as a weight and fitness goal that works for you.
  • ashleystidham
    ashleystidham Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of lying to myself about the issue but that is going to change. I know I am still young and have time to reverse it but I am good at putting it off. Today was my breaking point
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of lying to myself about the issue but that is going to change. I know I am still young and have time to reverse it but I am good at putting it off. Today was my breaking point

Take that energy, the anger you have with not holding yourself accountable earlier, and put it to good use. Prove to yourself you can set a goal and reach it. You might also find that the exercise and healthier eating helps your studies. I know I feel mentally sharper if I take care of myself better.

There is plenty of good information to be had here, and the simple import rule is Calories In < Calories Out. There is some fine tuning beyond that which can be more individual. But there are plenty of healthy foods that taste great, it's just a matter of finding them. And exercise for many can be great for reducing stress as well.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step - recognizing that you cannot continue on this unhealthy path. You don't want to be an obese 30, 40, 50 year old with all the health issues associated with that! Now is the time to take control of the situation and truly change your life path! Don't wait until health problems force your hand.

Read some of the success stories on here, look at the pictures of people who have gone from obese to amazing! You can be one of those people, too! There are some really good threads on here about how to start and what to do. Make yourself go to the gym! Give yourself a (non-food) reward for going for a day, a week, a month. Make it a fun challenge!

I have a crazy appetite and love of food, too. You can turn that into your favor - start researching what it takes to eat healthy and what foods will serve you best. Experiment with new recipes, try new things. You can still eat a lot of food, just change the stuff you are eating. You don't have to deprive yourself or eat tiny little portions.

You can do this. You will do this!!!
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I remember being 19 and in college. I knew I was on a track of gaining weight, but I felt invincible, like nothing I could eat would actually make me gain the weight. I would put it off, down a few drinks (yes I was underage, but it was college) and not realize that on top of healthy eating the alcohol I was consuming was horrible. My college had it's own top of the line gym that I only utilized on nights after drinking to get my blood moving for class the next day, it was totally unhealthy. Jump forward 5 years and graduating college. I was 240 lbs and at 5'2 it wasn't what I wanted for myself at all. It took that to make me change my habits. I still have bad habits i'm trying to break, but i'm working on it. Anyway, this isn't about me. This is so you know i'm relating to you. I understand everything you are going through, and it is extremely hard to keep a social life, keep good grades, and eat healthy, but starting it now will make it so much easier throughout the rest of your life. If you would like more friends, feel free to add me! I'd love to help support you!