Anyone here have Anxiety?

Options
13»

Replies

• V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a daily ritual to me; without it, I do feel more depressed. Although I am very reserved, the gym is one of the few atmospheres where social interaction comes easily...it's quite a relaxed environment.
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Exercise is a daily ritual to me; without it, I do feel more depressed. Although I am very reserved, the gym is one of the few atmospheres where social interaction comes easily...it's quite a relaxed environment.

See, I still prefer home workouts for some reason. But if I did go to the gym I'd def go when it was pretty empty. Not much one for working out in public! But kudo's to you...happy ya found what works for you :smiley:
  • yogabritt89
    yogabritt89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and get panic attacks. Yoga & hula hooping have been lifesaving for me! Yoga is a way for me to find a sense of calm and really get me I touch with myself. It's also taught me how to connect with my breath. Adding a partner and doing Acro yoga has helped with my social anxiety!
    With hula hoops I hoop dance so I can get out emotions while getting an insane cardio workout :)
    cq2dtlrq7gid.jpeg
  • _Owls_
    _Owls_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend yoga enough. It isn't the most calorie burning activity, but certain exercises will definitely promote lean muscle and flexibility. It's also a form of meditation for me. You're gently paying attention to your body, rather than your troubles.
  • Madam65
    Madam65 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Meditation helps. I started with 5 mins. It was difficult at first but I kept at it and as you do it daily it becomes easier and it helps. Listening to meditation music also helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mizztanjo wrote: »
    Love the responses in here! Anxiety/stress is a big part of my life, always has been really.
    I'm always open to new ideas on how to calm it. Love that everyone here seems to walk it off. Guess I should pick up more walking!
    For me, I find watching video's on youtube on how to deal with it helps a ton. I do exercise as well, LOVE fitness.

I do have a question though, just your thoughts on this....it seems more and more people are becoming overwhelmed with anxiety/depression/stress...do you think it has to do with the fact that we are becoming more and more disconnected with other people, with nature, ect. More connected with technology/social media?

personally, i think there's just a greater and greater emphasis on mental health issues in general. They've been taboo for a long time. IMO, mental health care is not nearly where it should be, but there is definitely more emphasis these days than in the past.

i have bouts of anxiety and panic attacks and regular exercise and a healthy diet has definitely made a difference and i have these issues less frequently than i did in the past. i've also found that in addition to doing regular moderate to vigorous exercise, taking some time out to do some yoga a couple days per week has been very helpful...i've tried meditation as well, but i tend to do better meditation when I'm doing some restorative yoga. i don't take medication regularly, but I am prescribed some mild tranquilizers for when the *kitten* does hit the fan...i use them pretty infrequently.

other things i've noticed are, drinking heavily tends to exacerbate my anxiety issues...if i drink in moderation it's not really an issue but partying too hard can cause me issues...not always, but often enough to make me think twice before doing a bunch of shots. I also have a pretty stressful job and as good as exercise is, it's also a stress on the body...i take a powdered magnesium supplement to help de-stress and it has also helped a great deal with cramping. good nutrition is also a powerful tool.