Training with DOMS

Options
Hey,

I'm still rather new to strength training. Currently I am training on a 4 day cycle of Core, Legs, Upper Body then Rest Day.

I've been getting DOMS in my legs, usually kicking in strongest on day 2 (RD) and 3 (Core) after legs training which is no bother itself but I am curious as to whether it is a good or bad thing to just work through it whilst training legs again? I suspect that it is not a good idea as the DOMS is clearly a sign that the muscles are still trying to heal but I just want to get some confirmation from those in the know so I don't unnecessarily write off a training session.

Many thanks for your time,
Jonny

Replies

• FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    How many days between leg sessions?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Currently I am training on a 4 day cycle of Core, Legs, Upper Body then Rest Day.

Your core should not be an entire day, especially if you have upper body is all together in one day. Your upper body is a much larger group of muscles than your core, and deserves more attention.

Hey,

I've been getting DOMS in my legs, usually kicking in strongest on day 2 (RD) and 3 (Core) after legs training which is no bother itself but I am curious as to whether it is a good or bad thing to just work through it whilst training legs again? I suspect that it is not a good idea as the DOMS is clearly a sign that the muscles are still trying to heal but I just want to get some confirmation from those in the know so I don't unnecessarily write off a training session.

You're not going to do any damage working through DOMS. If the DOMS are bad enough, you're not going to be able to train through them effectively, so just gauge if that is the case, and it never hurts to take an extra rest day.
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How many days between leg sessions?

Legs come back around again 4 days later.
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Your core should not be an entire day, especially if you have upper body is all together in one day. Your upper body is a much larger group of muscles than your core, and deserves more attention.

Thanks for the tip, I probably should have clarified that the days are centered around the 'parts' but don't train those parts exclusively. Upper body definitely gets involved on both core and legs days as well, just as the others overlap into the days focusing on other areas.
    AJ_G wrote: »
    You're not going to do any damage working through DOMS. If the DOMS are bad enough, you're not going to be able to train through them effectively, so just gauge if that is the case, and it never hurts to take an extra rest day.

Great advise thank-you, usually by the time legs day comes back around the DOMS is on its way out so I think it should be good to just carry on as planned but if it is impacting training I won't hesitate to take some extra rest as per your advice :)
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt to the stimulus you're giving it over time. Yep you can work through DOMS again though listen to your body: If DOMS is really bad maybe just do some light dynamic stretches and/or foam rolling, etc. &/or work on other areas of your body. You could also do some yoga, Pilates, swimming, go for a long walk, etc. as active rest.
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    ltworide wrote: »
    Your body will adapt to the stimulus you're giving it over time. Yep you can work through DOMS again though listen to your body: If DOMS is really bad maybe just do some light dynamic stretches and/or foam rolling, etc. &/or work on other areas of your body. You could also do some yoga, Pilates, swimming, go for a long walk, etc. as active rest.

You know getting a foam roller is something I have been meaning to do for ages, I really don't focus enough on aftercare outside of nutrition, I'll have to give it a go thanks!