Squat VS Deadlife

Options
cingle87
cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
I know this is going to break the internet asking this question, but which do you prefer to do if you could only do one? For me I find it a lot more natural and comfortable to deadlift than to squat, i find it feels like its working alot more during a set although I probably wrong.

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Deadlift.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I would do hex bar deadlifts if I had a gun to my head and had to choose.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    deadlift
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Definitely deadlift, but they are both necessary!!! Different muscles worked.
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Squats but it's a seriously hard choice! Squats edge it because I can squat slightly more than I can dead and everyone likes moving big numbers!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I like deadlifts more, but I think squats might be slightly more beneficial.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Deadlift. I can't get my left arm back far enough to do a barbell squat. Degenerative osteoarthritis limits range of motion.

I use straps for dumbbell RDLs because my grip strength hasn't kept up with my core and leg strength.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    If I was forced to choose, I would go deadlift.
  • ccllnply
    ccllnply Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. I love the stability and power that deadlifts give you through your postier chain but a few heavy sets are the most exhausting things ever. Squats are good for lower body strength and are great for atheletic performance but I just don't feel as "solid" after doing them as deadlifts, if that makes any sense
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    :angry:

I wont choose!!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Squats are my favorite :love: so that would be my choice. :tongue:
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options

I wont choose!!!

It's just hypothetical Crank...c'mon...just pick one.

I would choose squats.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I wont choose!!!

It's just hypothetical Crank...c'mon...just pick one.

I would choose squats.

NO!
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am new to doing either but so far I love squats. If I had to choose one it would be squats.
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Barbell Squats are the undoubtedly #1 best strength training exercise you can do. A properly performed barbell squat will work practically every muscle in your body, either for the strength to move the weight or the strength to stabilize your body during movement. Most reputable strength trainers will agree that squats are their favorite/least favorite exercise. Favorite because it kicks your #$% and least favorite for the same reason!

This said, however, no one exercise is the only thing you need to do. Dead lifts are also great, but you need to do more than this if possible.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'd probably keep the squats. There's no exercise like it.....

Just want to ask, if I ditch regular deadlifts, can I do an accessory deadlift (like RDL or SLDL), or are we considering that cheating? (Like, you mean no deadlifts of any description if I choose the squat)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I love both lifts, but for the most bang for your buck I'd have to choose squats.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts.. Purely coz I get to Chalk up, pace around the gym like a psycho, scream at the bar and rip it off the floor! AKA Angry man deadlifts. Angry Man Deadlifts have been responsible for my last 4 PB's! And it's got me kicked out of 2 gyms!!

I would hate to give up squats though, I'm good at those. Probably coz I'm only 5 foot 7, so I don't have much distance to sit down\back up..
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Squats. I don't understand the benefits of deadlifts.