Can someone look at my food diary please?

Options

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Since your not getting the results you want and you already have a scale, try weighing everything for two weeks and see what the difference is.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    It honestly looks like you don't weigh anything. All your entries seem to be standard size serves.
    If I have spaghetti sometimes the serve maybe 54 grams, other times 55, 56, 57 etc but it isn't always exactly 56 grams like your entries.

I'm not sure what you mean... I had quinoa spaghetti just now for dinner. 56 g is almost 2 oz (my scale measures in oz, not grams). I weigh it before I cook it.

But you have that entry every time, so you weigh exactly 56 grams each time? Surely, the scales must stop at 55 or 57 sometimes and it would be rather messy trying to get that extra gram on or off the scale.

And you don't seem to weigh your slices of bread as the calorie count is the same each day. The bread I eat says a slice is 42 grams but I've had slices weighing from 32 grams-46 grams. That is over a 30 calorie difference, for just 1 food item, over a day that can add up to a couple hundred calories or more.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok... get a scale that weighs things in grams and start weighing everything. 28g is a HUGE difference - we're talking 180 calories difference for things like nuts or nut butter, 110 for cheese, 100 for pasta... Guaranteed that's where the problem is - you're eating more than you think.

You don't have to weigh your fruit and veggies if you don't want to, but my medium apples regularly come out around 90 calories, bananas 120 etc... which is more than you're logging. For veggies, one serving is actually quite smaller than you think... there are 4 servings in those small frozen veggie bags! One whole pepper is 40ish calories, even if you'd think it's only 'one cup' once you remove the core etc... It adds up.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Please provide your stats.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I have ten toes, 2 ears....wait. Did you mean the OP?

• beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Try changing the apples for something else as they're making between a third & half of your daily sugar intake & you could drastically reduce this with an alternate choice of snack
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I do weigh everything. I don't feel it necessary to weigh an apple. And I measure in cups because that's how it's taught to do it in the 21-Day Fix. I'm also from Canada, so we don't measure dry goods in ounces. I did look up the chicken... I will have to replace the option I use in MFP for the more accurate one. 230 oz for 5 ounces! I can't see how I'm eating so little. I have three meals and two snacks a day, and within a healthy calorie range for safe weight loss.

MFP has a different methodology than 21 day fix and WW, you actually count calories. The best way to count calories is by weighing food.

I have a good old salter scale with little ounce weights. When I first started counting calories I weighed in ounces and fractions of, however I soon went out and bought a set of metric weights.

I soon found using my kitchen scale, which I love, very lugubrious and went out and bought a digital food scale. They are available across Canada and cost about $20. A worthwhile investment.

These can do oz and gr, and have a tarre feature which means that you can load a plate with different foods and it will reset at the push of a button for each item.

It really is the best way to count calories when you use MFP. A gram is a gram, but a 250gr cup can hold more or less depending on how you fill it and the food being put in.

Apples, broccoli, chicken breasts, slices of bread, in fact all solid food, have individual weights. If you use a generic weight you can easily be eating too much or too little.

Liquids need to be measured in liquid spoons or cups. Most liquids ( oils dressings etc) give a spoon size and a ml size. Quite often a tbsp can be given as 13 or 18 whereas an official tbsp is 15. This can make quite a difference when it comes to oils and dressings.

As an FYI since you are in Canada where ice cream is in ml 1 ml is the equivalent of 1.9 gr. water is 1:1.

Cheers, h. Who also lives in Canada.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    beastier wrote: »
    Try changing the apples for something else as they're making between a third & half of your daily sugar intake & you could drastically reduce this with an alternate choice of snack

Unless OP has insulin resistance, her sugar intake is not going to affect her weight loss. Besides, it's an apple..
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

That's all you've got? SNORT!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

That's all you've got? SNORT!

heheheh evil woman >:)

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So, how quickly did you lose the weight? And how long have you stopped or hit a plateau?

It took me about 8 months, probably closer to 9 to lose the initial 37 pounds, and I've been at this plateau since January 2015, so 10 months of little to no movement. I don't even want to lose much more, maybe just 15-20 lbs (depending on how it looks... I don't want to be too thin!) I'm 5'10", so I think about 160 if I'm in good shape would be ideal.

I picked a date at random (1 June) and looked at every day that week.

You only logged one day, one sandwich, and two breakfasts for that whole week.

This is not a big mystery. :) Log everything!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

OP said 5'10" and goal is 160ish and she said 15-20 from goal so I am guessing she is between 175 and 180lbs and 5'10"
    and OP I think you could even be under eating. Please look up your calories for your height and weight. I put in light exercise and a calculator gave me 1350-1550 for your weight and height to lose weight...however you might be moderately active. In which case youd need 1500-1700. Are you eating back your exercise calories? You should be sure you net at least 1300...but I would go a bit higher. Something that worked to get me to lose weight when I'd gotten stuck is calorie cycling. You keep the same average deficit for the week, but you eat different amounts each day. For example, if you are sure you want your average to be 1300, you could do this:
    Sunday 1300
    Monday 1200
    Tuesday 1400
    Wednesday 1200
    Thursday 1500
    Friday 1200
    Saturday 1300
    It is easier if you have a higher calorie goal but still. There is a calculator that also can do this for you here:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Good luck! :) Good work on the weight loss, so far.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    If she's not losing weight now, she certainly doesn't need to eat more.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Definitely weigh everything. It makes a huge difference.

Question. Why are you trying to lose so aggressively? I have similar stats to you (5'9" 150 pounds 30-years-old) and I'm still losing on 1800 calories a day. Us tall girls need to eat more.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »
    It honestly looks like you don't weigh anything. All your entries seem to be standard size serves.
    If I have spaghetti sometimes the serve maybe 54 grams, other times 55, 56, 57 etc but it isn't always exactly 56 grams like your entries.

I'm not sure what you mean... I had quinoa spaghetti just now for dinner. 56 g is almost 2 oz (my scale measures in oz, not grams). I weigh it before I cook it.

I don't weigh anything and I've never had an issue..
  • Verity1111
    Options

Question. Why are you trying to lose so aggressively? I have similar stats to you (5'9" 150 pounds 30-years-old) and I'm still losing on 1800 calories a day. Us tall girls need to eat more.

This. I second and repeat what I said before, I think you are under eating.
  • Verity1111
    edited October 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    If she's not losing weight now, she certainly doesn't need to eat more.

Um that is false. Sometimes not eating enough will cause the body to stall. Part of why there is calorie cycling and other methods to break a plateau. I, personally, have had to UP my calories to lose weight in the past.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/not-eating-enough-calories-for-weight-loss/
    http://chriskresser.com/are-you-an-under-eater-8-signs-youre-not-eating-enough/
    http://www.coachcalorie.com/not-eating-enough-calories-to-lose-weight/
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Love the video! This is the best illustration I've seen of how quickly those estimated calories can add up. Too bad he didn't have exact calorie counts for the two days or for the specific items. It would have even more impact, but the point is taken. ;D

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

This. I second and repeat what I said before, I think you are under eating.

How can you know she's undereating when some days haven't been logged at all?