Options
2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    In our Trader Joe's, they'll give you samples for free, so I tasted it.

It's peanut butter with sugar and spice added to it. I think I remember thinking that I tasted cinnamon and nutmeg.

Honestly, I didn't get all the hype.

I make my own PB from scratch and frequently add spices. It tastes less sweet, but much better than the Cookie Butter. IMO, that is. It's a matter of taste, though, and everyone is different.

Well, except it contains no peanuts.

That would be a huge exception, lol. Thank you for pointing that out. :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    scastor27 wrote: »
    That Trader Joe's pumpkin spice cookie butter is amazing.

I like the cocoa swirl one.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I
    Kalikel wrote: »
    In our Trader Joe's, they'll give you samples for free, so I tasted it.

It's peanut butter with sugar and spice added to it. I think I remember thinking that I tasted cinnamon and nutmeg.

Honestly, I didn't get all the hype.

I make my own PB from scratch and frequently add spices. It tastes less sweet, but much better than the Cookie Butter. IMO, that is. It's a matter of taste, though, and everyone is different.

It's not peanut butter, it's made from crushed cookies, and I think was originally a Dutch thing.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For curiosity sake.
    By 2007, several Belgian and Dutch companies began marketing a paste variant of speculoos, now available worldwide under various brands and names: as Speculla, Cookie Butter, Biscoff Spread. As a form of "spreadable Speculoos cookies, the flavor is caramelized and gingerbread-like with a color similar to peanut butter and a consistency ranging from creamy to granular or crunchy. The spread consists of 60% crushed speculoos cookies along with vegetable oils.

It developed in the area of Europe centered on Eeklo, Belgium, where local workers had long known that a sandwich made in the morning with butter and speculoos cookies would develop a spread-like consistency by lunchtime.

In 2008, two competitors entered a contest on the Belgian television show, The Inventors (de Bedenkers), with a spread made from speculoos cookies — Els Scheppers, who reached the semi finals, and the team of chef Danny De Mayer and Dirk De Smet, who weren't selected as finalists. Spreads made from crushed Speculoos cookies would subsequently go into production by three separate companies, and by the time they arrived in Belgian supermarkets, Speculoos spread caused a sensation, taking the "Benelux market by storm."
    Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter is, in its most simplistic terms, spreadable Speculoos cookies. Speculoos cookies are classic Belgian cookies with great crunch, and a slightly caramelized, almost-but-not-quite-gingerbread flavor. (Try our Bistro Biscuits for a close approximation.) After the cookies are baked to a fabulous finish, they’re crushed into a fine powder and mixed with magical ingredients (read: vegetable oils) and turned into a smooth, spreadable substance we call Cookie Butter. It resembles peanut butter in color and consistency. Make no mistake, though; this is a treat through and through. Spread it on toast, bagels, pancakes or waffles. Use it as a dip for hunks of dark chocolate or pretzels or (gasp!) veggies like carrots or celery. You could keep it really simple and just use it as a dip for a spoon.

And yes, it is like the nectar of the gods.
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Yeah the biscoff stuff? Don't buy it. It'll be gone before you get home from the store. Amazing. I like putting it in brownies and deserts, but not on much else. Doesn't quite mix right with breads

Trader joes just bought some thanks to this thread!!... Smh