Can you lose weight and lift heavy at the same time?

Options
I have been inspired by so many women on here that lift heavy and look great. It makes me want to do it too. I still have 20 lbs to lose though so should I wait until I lose it to begin?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Nope, start now.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    My fiancee did and actually became Body Fitness and Overall UKBFF North West Champion this year as she did so.

So no reason why not!

yojustbeforegottogether.jpg
    miniyowin.jpg
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I am :) It'll keep you from losing muscle and promote fat loss as long as you eat at a reasonable/conservative deficit and get ample protein. :)

Good luck!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have...however much to lose *eyeballs ticker* and I'm lifting as heavy as I can 3 times a week. Weight seems to be dropping off okay (Because I eat at a calorie deficit) and the lifting makes me happy. Seems like a win/win.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I've been doing body weight and dumbbell based strength training since I started losing weight in 2011, but I joined the gym and started lifting consistently with barbells a year ago and I've lost 20 lbs since then. Definitely a great idea to lift while losing :smile:
    Good luck!
  • ScramblesDD
    Options
    Lifting heavy burns more calories and for a longer period of time afterwards. I lost more weight from powerlifting than any cardio.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Start now
    Gaining or losing weight will depend on your calorie intake.
    Plus lifting will change your shape in a way that just cutting calories won't. (oh how i love you weight lifting)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    There is zero reason to wait. Start lifting today.
  • ScramblesDD
    Options
    For best results do both and watch your diet.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been inspired by so many women on here that lift heavy and look great. It makes me want to do it too. I still have 20 lbs to lose though so should I wait until I lose it to begin?

You can make strength gains on a caloric deficit. Also, lifting heavy (and eating sufficient protein) will help preserve your muscle as you lose weight so that you avoid the Auschwitz look as you get leaner.
  • KLSG23
    KLSG23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I too have about 20lbs left if you go by the numbers. I'm more concerned about bf% and inches now than anything else. If you start lifting and do it correctly, you will speed up your metabolism and burning fat. You may not see a big # change, but you will definitely see a change in you body size and shape. A lb is a lb wether it is muscle of fat but muscle is solid, not flabby. An lb of muscle takes up a lot less space than a lb of fat. Good luck......start lifting. I love bodybuilding.com as a resource.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Start now. I didn't get into lifting until I'd already lost, and wish I started sooner. It would have been nice to have lost weight and uncovered a great bum because I retained more muscle, instead of losing weight, losing muscle, getting a droopy bum and working hard to build it back up where it belongs. :laugh:
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've done it. Lifting heavy, losing weight and looking great!

From this:

caUXk9Kl.jpg

To this:

mzQtVmil.jpg
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Start now.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes you can absolutely lose weight and lift heavy, start now! :D

All you need is a calorie deficit. Lifting heavy will help you maintain more muscle while you lose so it "may" be a little slower than someone who say just does all cardio & diet, but you'll be safe in the knowledge that it's pretty much all fat / water and no precious muscle.
    Also, as someone else mentioned, you can still get stronger while losing weight as well, win-win!

I've always lifted heavy as I lost weight. The only times I struggled was when I wasn't sticking to my calorie deficit!
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight while maintaining muscle which will help keep you firm. Lifting also burns more calories after you're done than cardio will. If you're gaining muscle your scale weight may drop a little more slowly but you WILL be losing fat. During my 12 week contest, I lost 21 scale pounds, but based on body fat measurements, I actually lost 30 lbs of fat. Go for it!
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    New lifter xx
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Echoing the start noes. Just a heads up though - you may see the scale stall for a couple of weeks. It is normal, and does not necessarily mean you aren't still losing fat. Water retention in the muscles did to glycogen stores can mask small losses. I went up a couple of pounds and stayed there for a whole month, even my measurements didn't change much but when I looked at my progress photos you could see a big change. My face, my arms, the area between my waist and hips all got smaller.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting is my drug
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    start now!! i am a heavy lifter and it's done wonders for my body shape!!