Protein powder for weight loss?

Options
Hi, I'm looking to lose some weight and have recently looked into taking protein powder as a meal replacement or supplement. I have tried cutting down carbs and the numbers on the scales is just not budging. I also exercise 5 days a week and things have been moving frustratingly slow. So I thought I can introduce protein powder to boost things along. I just bought the Fitmiss powder.

When is a good time to drink this protein powder? For breakfast or post workout?

If I'm not hungry after drinking this protein powder, should I skip a meal and eat only when I'm hungry? Will that mess up my metabolism in the future?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Might be easier just to eat smaller meals to get a deficit.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs has nothing to do with the scale. It's all about deficit.

With that being said, I sometimes have one because I have a hard time reaching protein goals because I don't eat meat extremely often. I have found that drinking one for breakfast keeps me pretty full for a few hours, so I don't eat. Also helps waking me up before a workout. Where as at night, I feel almost too full drinking them, which puts me at risk of eating too little, even if it's after a night workout. Doesn't matter when you drink it, as long as it's within your calorie allotment. It's all personal preference.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you only want to lose 3 kg so yes, your progress will be naturally slow. About 0.2 kg per week.

There is no magic weight loss potion. Cutting carbs, increasing protein, shakes, garcinia cambogia, kale - anything you try is going to need a calorie deficit.

My advice is to enter your stats into MFP, then log and weigh all the food you eat, and eat according to the calorie limit it sets.

Eat the foods you like, in the amounts that will fit your limit.

Slow and sustainable leads to healthy habits for life. Best wishes!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake for breakfast, sometimes one as an afternoon snack (depends on my schedule--I like to eat when hungry and drinking is more discreet in meetings). And I use a different protein powder when I'm lifting. I like the taste and it's convenient. And I'm satisfied and not hungry until lunch time/next meal.

I'm not familiar with the one you bought, so I really can't make suggestions. Born Fitness has good info on protein powders and lots of good recipes.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I too like to have some protein at every meal and snack. I use protein powder and skim milk with my breakfast as a way to jump start my protein for the day as I head off to work. Carbs are not the root of all evil, you just need to make sure you pick high quality carbs instead of the highly processed, ultra refined carbs that most people go for.

It worked really well for me when I was losing weigh to have 3 smaller meals and two snacks. Sometimes a 3rd snack if I worked out hard and had extra calories. It helped me from getting too hungry at any one time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is for those lacking in protein, not to lose weight. Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake in the morning and at night after I work out. I make it with almond milk and it's delicious and keeps me full all day, so usually just eat a small lunch and dinner. :)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    ohmyllama wrote: »
    I have a protein shake in the morning and at night after I work out. I make it with almond milk and it's delicious and keeps me full all day, so usually just eat a small lunch and dinner. :)

May i ask what kinda protein powder you use?

95069916.png
  • lucy16076
    lucy16076 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've got to a "pea protein" based protein powder to rid of the whey....anyone else have an opinion on pea protein as opposed to whey protein? I used to like having a shake for breakfast as I'm not that big into making much when I wake up. I'm not shaking much weight so I quit, but now will start again with this new kind.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Morning and sometimes snacky is Fitness Labs 6 Protein Blend in chocolate shake with some PB2. Workout shake is Isopure (strawberries and cream).
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Replacing solid food's for liquids won't boost the weight loss process. A calorie is a calorie :)
    In my personal opinion, I would rather eat my calories than drink them else I feel deprived.

It's up to you how you reach your calorie goal - but I don't think meal replacement is generally a good idea in the long-run. I take a protein shake here and there when I'm not getting enough protein - but I'm muscle building, not losing weight.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What makes you think that protein powders accelerate weight loss?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    As others have said, there is nothing about protein powder that will make you lose weight. If you're currently not losing, you need to tighten up your logging and make sure you are staying in your calorie goal.

I take protein powder because it helps me hit my daily protein goal and I like the flavor. The timing doesn't matter, and I have it as a morning snack (although I don't eat breakfast).
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I use a protein powder (almost) daily but only because my deficit is small on 1200 calories (I'm a very short & older female) and it helps keep me satiated through dinner. That's the only reason. The drink itself does not cause weight loss. Only a caloric deficit does and in my case, it helps me maintain that.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, it won't help you lose more weight. The powders supposedly have lots of protein in them, so people who want to eat lots and lots of protein can do that easier if it's in powder form.

I eat my protein in food form and cannot swear to it, but really do not think the powders will help you lose more weight. I don't even think the people who sell them advertise them that way. They're selling to those who think more protein will make their muscles bigger, so they sell it that way, not as a weight loss aid.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I use a protein powder (almost) daily but only because my deficit is small on 1200 calories (I'm a very short & older female) and it helps keep me satiated through dinner. That's the only reason. The drink itself does not cause weight loss. Only a caloric deficit does and in my case, it helps me maintain that.

Yes, protein keeps me full and so I often add protein powder to non-meat meals or snacks.

If I have too many carbs in relationship to protein I want to just eat and eat and eat so base my meals around protein (and veggies) to help me stay in a calorie deficit.

Fat is important for satiety as well, but eating enough fat has never been an issue for me ;)

Oh! Just protein powder and liquid as a snack doesn't work for me cuz of the low fat content - I add a teaspoon or two of coconut oil. If I'm not hungry enough for a full breakfast I will have coffee, protein powder and 2 t coconut oil, which keeps me full for about an hour less than a regular breakfast.