College

Options
College-budget foods? B)

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Do you live in a dorm or apt/house off campus? Perhaps I should ask, how or will you cook your own food?
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know to cook very well.I live in a dorm :)
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I can assume in a dorm you are sharing a small frig and using a microwave or toaster oven often? The reason I ask is how much food do you plan to buy at a time and how much and where will you store it?

Depending on how much you can buy and how you will store it is also at factor. Not trying to pry too much. LOL
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Look for BOGO's, use store coupons and even look for day old sales such as bread, cheese, etc. I would buy box and canned items often.. instead of fresh unless you plan to cook same day or soon there after...

Here is a small list:

Eggs (18 pack) or even Eggs or Egg Whites in the cartain (they last along time in the frig).

Top Ramen (Buy in bulk if possible, avoid spending more than $.50 per package)

Day-old discounted bread, bagels, buns, etc. (Keep them in the fridge and they’ll last about a week, be careful of mold though)

Peanut butter & jam/jelly

Yogurt

Bulk or Bagged Cereal

Whole Chickens

Discounted Meat (The clearance section in the meat department often has banging deals. The meat is still good—just eat it or freeze it within 24 hours of buying.)

Mac and Cheese (The microwavable packages are more expensive than the good old box but still a cheap meal. Buy the generic brand, it tastes the same.)

Soup (1 can is a lot of soup and potentially a couple meals.)

Rice (The microwavable packages will be more spendy.)

Oats/Oatmeal (Flavorless yet economical.)

Russet Potatoes

Canned Beans (Re-fried, Baked, etc. Beans are caloric, filling and delicious.)

Bananas, Apples and Oranges (Find them on sale. They’re delicious and as healthy as you can get.)

Pasta (There’s a lot you can do with noodles, sauce and veggies at a very low cost.)

Carrots, Celery and Brocolli & Onions (use can use the first three raw as snacks and all four of these are great additions to food such as egg omeltes)

Tofu (Cheap, easy to cook, oh yeah and loads of protein...

Canned tuna
  • ashleystidham
    ashleystidham Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time college student too and I suggest frozen fruits and veggies if you have a freezer, canned foods such as beans and some veggies (organic is better), frozen meats (lean chicken breast, fish, etc). Rice cookers are fairly cheap and it'd make cooking rice a lot easier. COUPONS lol, they're more helpful than you think and they add up. Good luck :)
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Try Big Lots! :)
    I'm in grad school and work full time, however I don't have a mini fridge.. keep some light snacks on hand!