Keto diet!

Options

Replies

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My very first dialysis patient was born with genetically small kidneys. They did fine until she went on a high protein very low carb diet to lose weight. Excess must be excreted through the kidneys. The molecules are very large. Please don't take my word for it. Ask your trusted doctor.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    My very first dialysis patient was born with genetically small kidneys. They did fine until she went on a high protein very low carb diet to lose weight. Excess must be excreted through the kidneys. The molecules are very large. Please don't take my word for it. Ask your trusted doctor.

Keto isn't a high protein way of eating. I'ts Low carb/high fat/moderate protein
  • cbelc2
    Options
    Purposely putting the body into ketoacidosis without being under a doctor's care may not be a healthy solution to weight management. Remember that your poor gall bladder has to handle all that extra fat, too. Why not just balance your diet, eat healthy whole foods, and exercise? ? It's working for me. I lost 4 lbs last week by sticking with my MFP nutrition goals. They are quite balanced.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Since that diet is prescribed by a doctor in order to treat a medical problem,
    you should consult with that person (&/or your dietician who's helping with the prescription)
    to ask questions about what you should or should not be eating.

If it's just a fad you want to try... check with your doctor anyway,
    to make sure you're healthy enough, and it's not going to harm you.

Or you could eat a balanced diet, following the food pyramid / food groups,
    with fewer calories than you'd been eating.

Here are some useful posts you would benefit from reading.
    If nothing else, spend the time to read sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

Here's a blog post I did about goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045
    There's a link to a calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine which will take into account your age, height,
    weight, activity level, etc. to tell you how many calories & how many servings of the food groups you should eat
    to maintain that weight. If you put in your healthy goal weight, and eat that much, you should reach it.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Also, is this "keto" something you will be doing the rest of your life?
    Is it healthy to live that way?
    Because if not, how are you going to learn to eat healthfully & maintain a healthy weight?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Purposely putting the body into ketoacidosis without being under a doctor's care may not be a healthy solution to weight management. Remember that your poor gall bladder has to handle all that extra fat, too. Why not just balance your diet, eat healthy whole foods, and exercise? ? It's working for me. I lost 4 lbs last week by sticking with my MFP nutrition goals. They are quite balanced.

it's ketoacidosis only if insulin is also high. you've heard a word but don't know its meaning. sigh.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Also, is this "keto" something you will be doing the rest of your life?
    Is it healthy to live that way?
    Because if not, how are you going to learn to eat healthfully & maintain a healthy weight?

a ketogenic diet _is_ healthy, especially if you're insulin resistant (and that, in these days, is a third to half of the population in western countries)

healthy eating and maintaining a healthy weight and reducing visceral fat in my case happened because of a ketogenic diet, not in spite of it.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I assume from other posts you are a nurse. You should really educate yourself, as ketoacidosis it NOT the same thing as dietary ketosis! Not at all!! And low carb diets do not even have to have high protein. Educate yourself, please!

PS, did the patient know of their condition ahead of time? Of what to do and not?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Purposely putting the body into ketoacidosis without being under a doctor's care may not be a healthy solution to weight management. Remember that your poor gall bladder has to handle all that extra fat, too.

A ketogenic diet is nothing to do with Diabetic ketoacidosis. The latter has much higher levels of ketones accompanied by high blood glucose and a lack of insulin. This doesn't happen in ketogenic dieters.

When I went on Atkins my daily grams of fat stayed about the same. The gal bladder is just a balloon, it doesn't have an opinion.
  • cbelc2
    Options
    Ok. I looked on WebMd, one of my trusted sources. A Ketogenic diet can become dangerous if ketones build up. It can lead to dehydration and change the chemical composition of the blood. I still say your doctor should be involved.
  • cbelc2
    Options
    The gallbladder does secrete some bile. The majority is made in the liver and stored in the gallbladder, where fat is emulsified among other functions. Rapid weight loss and a very high fat diet are hard on it.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Ok. I looked on WebMd, one of my trusted sources. A Ketogenic diet can become dangerous if ketones build up. It can lead to dehydration and change the chemical composition of the blood. I still say your doctor should be involved.

From WebMD -
    Low-Carb and Ketogenic Diets
    Ketosis is a popular weight loss strategy. Low-carb eating plans include the first part of the Atkins diet and the Paleo diet, which stress proteins for fueling your body. In addition to helping your burn body fat, ketosis can make you feel less hungry. It also helps you maintain muscles.

For healthy people who don't have diabetes and aren't pregnant, ketosis usually kicks in after 3 or 4 days of eating less than 50 grams of carbohydrates per day. That's about 3 slices of bread, a cup of low-fat fruit yogurt, or two small bananas. You can start ketosis by fasting, too.

Doctors may put children who have epilepsy on a ketogenic diet, a special high-fat, very low-carb and protein plan, because it might help prevent seizures. Adults with epilepsy sometimes eat modified Atkins diets.

Some research suggests that ketogenic diets can help lower your risk of heart disease. Other studies show specific very-low-carb diets help people with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes. Researchers are also studying the effects of these diets on acne, cancer, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and nervous system diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and Lou Gehrig's disease.

Also -

People with diabetes can get ketoacidosis, or diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), when they don't take enough insulin. They can also get DKA when they're sick or injured, or they don't get enough fluids and become dehydrated.

Some people without diabetes can get ketoacidosis, too. It's caused by alcoholism, starvation, or an overactive thyroid. A healthy low-carb diet shouldn't cause a problem.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis?page=1

I thought that your warnings needed context.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

As another said, a ketogenic diet is not usually high protein, it is usually moderate to slightly low protein. I am on a ketogenic diet and my protein is usually close to 20%.

A ketogenic diet is NOT ketoacidosis. That is a life threatening condition that afflicts diabetics who cannot make their own insulin and are not taking enough. A diabetic can safely live in a state of mild ketosis - I am a prediabetic who has mostly been in ketosis for half of a year.

Gall bladders are deigned to aid in fat digestion. Unless a gall bladder is unhealthy from another condition, most people will have no problem eating a diet high in healthy fats.

Yes, a ketogenic diet is not needed by most for healthy weight loss. Congrats on losing using moderation. I have lost 40lbs on a ketogenic diet in under 6 months, and am well into my healthy BMI range. I could not do it with a "balanced" diet. It works well for some, and can be a good way to improve health for those like me.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    One should work with a doctor for keto. It can be great for quick weight loss, but it has been known to cause kidney damage in some folks.

. . . .
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hey everyone! I was actually just about to post up a question about ketosis then saw this thread! I've been wanting to jump in on the keto diet and have generally been eating low carb for a while but not into ketosis since I am insulin resistant from PCOS (so low carb has been recommended by my doctor) and also always seem to get bloated after eating carbohydrates. I always am hesitant though to put my carb percentages so low (whats it, like 5% for ketosis) since I get concerned about not eating enough fruits/veggies/nuts/etc and cholesterol levels getting high. I've heard that when figuring out carbs for ketosis you calculate your true carbohydrate percentages by removing your fiber. Also I get concerned about mental prowess with extremely low carb because I am in college as well.

Can anyone elaborate on this any more for me? And could anyone dispel my concerns about dropping carbohydrate percentages so low so I can feel more informed about if I want to jump into ketosis?
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

People with diabetes can get ketoacidosis, or diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), when they don't take enough insulin. They can also get DKA when they're sick or injured, or they don't get enough fluids and become dehydrated.

Some people without diabetes can get ketoacidosis, too. It's caused by alcoholism, starvation, or an overactive thyroid. A healthy low-carb diet shouldn't cause a problem.

Now this I didn't know. Thanks for sharing. Would it be as easy as keeping a glucose monitor around if one with these issues continued a keto lifestyle, I wonder?I only ask for sake of conversation. You never know when it'll come up haha. Plus you know some people won't go to the doctor, even if they knowingly have a dangerous condition to begin with. :s

• Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long one has to wait until all these bad effects from eating keto happen.
    I have been low carb/keto for over 3 years now. All my health markers (weight, blood glucose, blood pressure, lipids) have improved.
    I assume any diet can be bad for some people with an unknown predisposition, but it is not a real issue for the vast majority of people. Certainly learn about the signs if it makes you feel safer.
    I am not worried for myself.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Now this I didn't know. Thanks for sharing. Would it be as easy as keeping a glucose monitor around if one with these issues continued a keto lifestyle, I wonder?I only ask for sake of conversation. You never know when it'll come up haha. Plus you know some people won't go to the doctor, even if they knowingly have a dangerous condition to begin with. :s

Are you diabetic, starving or an alcoholic? I've only read about out of control T1's and ketoacidosis, not anyone with controlled diabetes. The starving & alcoholic risk factor was news to me.

Ketoacidosis needs both extremely high glucose and ketones at the same time. Your body has built in methods to avoid ketoacidosis occuring unless you have some other pretty severe health issues. It isn't really relevant to ketogenic dieting.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

Are you diabetic, starving or an alcoholic? I've only read about out of control T1's and ketoacidosis, not anyone with controlled diabetes. The starving & alcoholic risk factor was news to me.

Ketoacidosis needs both extremely high glucose and ketones at the same time. Your body has built in methods to avoid ketoacidosis occuring unless you have some other pretty severe health issues. It isn't really relevant to ketogenic dieting.

No, was just interested in learning more about it. The starving and alcoholic risk factor was also news to me. We all meet different people in the weight loss world, so it only stands to reason that we'll eventually meet someone with an ED or an alcoholic, and maybe now armed with this knowledge we can help educate them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hey everyone! I was actually just about to post up a question about ketosis then saw this thread! I've been wanting to jump in on the keto diet and have generally been eating low carb for a while but not into ketosis since I am insulin resistant from PCOS (so low carb has been recommended by my doctor) and also always seem to get bloated after eating carbohydrates. I always am hesitant though to put my carb percentages so low (whats it, like 5% for ketosis) since I get concerned about not eating enough fruits/veggies/nuts/etc and cholesterol levels getting high. I've heard that when figuring out carbs for ketosis you calculate your true carbohydrate percentages by removing your fiber. Also I get concerned about mental prowess with extremely low carb because I am in college as well.

Can anyone elaborate on this any more for me? And could anyone dispel my concerns about dropping carbohydrate percentages so low so I can feel more informed about if I want to jump into ketosis?

Yes, those in ketosis usually keep carbs around 5%. That can still be a few helpings of veggies per day, but does not include much fruit. Fruit has a higher sugar content so one serving of fruit will add a large amount of sugars to your day, relatively speaking. Nuts, especially higher at nuts, fit very well into a LCHF.

Cholesterol is usually improved on a ketogenic diet. HDL goes up, triglycerides go down, and LDL stays about the same but usually changes to the large, fluffy pattern a type. I personally don't put much stock in cholesterol though, it's link to CAD is pretty weak.

Some people count carbs after fibre is subtracted but I don't. It is just simpler. Fibre becomes a nonissue for most eating a ketogenic diet because increased fats aids in elimination.

I found my cognitive skills increased by a shocking amount when i ate a ketogenic dietI was more energetic, could concentrate better, and slept better. It was quite an amazing change that even my husband noticed. It may not occur in the first few days or weeks when you are switching to ketosis, you could end up tired and cranky then. If you up your salt to 3000-5000 mg per day, it will help you feel better faster.

Good luck!