body frame size...

Options
so how much does body frame affect weight loss and how weight sits on a body in general?
I've looked at a few sites and for the wrist measurement it says my frame is small but for the elbow one it says that i'm a large frame.

my shoulders are pretty wide for a small girl. i'm only 5'2'' and my shoulders are 17 inches wide. I also used those body shape calculators and is says my body shape is pear shaped. Right now i'm on the higher side of the normal range of my BMI and my concern is will I able to get down to the lowest end of my BMI even with a large(?) frame?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    so how much does body frame affect weight loss and how weight sits on a body in general?
    I've looked at a few sites and for the wrist measurement it says my frame is small but for the elbow one it says that i'm a large frame.

my shoulders are pretty wide for a small girl. i'm only 5'2'' and my shoulders are 17 inches wide. I also used those body shape calculators and is says my body shape is pear shaped. Right now i'm on the higher side of the normal range of my BMI and my concern is will I able to get down to the lowest end of my BMI even with a large(?) frame?

The body frame calculators are not that accurate ..but they are an interesting potential thought ...I wouldn't take it any further than that

Your body fat distribution will be determined by your genetics and just plum luck ...if you're overweight you may be holding additional fat in a certain places like your lower half

Why would you aim for lowest end of BMI?

My advice would be to eat at a calorie defecit of around 250 and follow a progressive resistance programme so that you can body recomp ..because musculature is what gives you shape
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about that wrist thing being accurate. Might be, I just don't know.

Frame size makes a big difference. I have a friend who is tall and big boned - really big boned, not an insulting euphemism. If she and I were the same height, she'd have to weigh more than I do. She's wider, has more muscle - just everything on her is bigger.

It adds some pounds, no doubt!

The BMI accounts for different body shapes. That's one of the reasons that there are ranges. Being on the low end isn't better than being on the high end! Two people of the same height and equal amounts body fat could be on opposite sides of the range and each be equally healthy, with one no fatter than the other!

BMI is an excellent tool for people who don't believe they're obese or underweight. You can point to the chart and say, "See? The numbers don't lie." I'm a fan of the BMI, which is accurate for most of us.

On the flip side, don't let yourself worry about being on the high end of normal if you have a bigger frame or lift weights a lot and have built muscle or whatever.

If you're ever in doubt,you can ask the doctor if you're at a good, healthy, safe weight. If you want to know how you look, post a pic. MFP will tell you! You might get a couple people being too nice (or too mean), but you'll get a general consensus from the group. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    i once read that "big boned" can account for as much as 10% variance

If you actually know your frame size and bone density it can have an impact on what your "healthy weight range" is

But it's mainly used an excuse tbh

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Like any online calculator, they're all just estimates.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm medium boned. What I notice is that the lower end of the weight range didn't look very good on me. I really do look better in the middle of the range, not the lower or the upper.

Might make a difference in where you set your goal.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It makes a definite difference, imho, but you can still choose any weight you like. I'm very wide-framed, and my BMI is 21.6. You can see my ribs and hipbones, but in a healthy-looking way, because I definitely do not appear skinny.

A bigger problem is having a small "goal size". There are sizes that just won't fit because the frame is too large.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Right now i'm on the higher side of the normal range of my BMI and my concern is will I able to get down to the lowest end of my BMI even with a large(?) frame?

BMI doesn't tell the whole story. Having a goal to be at the low end of your BMI could actually be unhealthy.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    There is a general thought of a 10 lb difference between small and medium, and medium and large I think after looking at a few sites.

Here is a link.
    http://www.hamiltonhospital.org/healthbeats/hb_bodyweight.html

Cheers, h.