janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    BogdanMih wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @BogdanMih I also have goldfish crackers in my cupboard. Everything in moderation, eh?

I'm not a fan of the ''everything in moderation'' concept that most people use. When you eat mostly home cooked meals like you do for example, some cheats now and then are fine. I have my own ''everything in moderation'' concept where I advise people to enjoy those cheats in moderation, and use their common sense. Check the nutrition labels to avoid anything high in fats, sugars, and chemicals you can’t pronounce. If it has high contents of fats or sugars and you still want to eat it make sure you really "pay'' for that one. (ha ha, I'm joking).
    Anyway, keep up the good work!

I can pronounce all of the chemicals. Even if I've never seen the word before, I can pronounce it. I might not hit the right accented syllable, but I probably would.

Your ability or inability to pronounce a word should not be the determinator of whether you eat it. We can all pronounce "gasoline," but that doesn't make it okay to swallow. We cannot all pronounce "phytochemical", but those would be great things to ingest.

This really wasn't my point. That's a great example you just made there but it's really not on the point. "chemicals you can’t pronounce" I used it as an expression, don't take it literally.

You told someone they should check the nutrition label and avoid anything that had a "chemical you can't pronounce." You just meant that as an expression and not as something they should actually do?

No, you should avoid them. But I'm not from UK or USA, I don't know how you use it. Here I say it like "if you don't know what it is, look it up but it's probably bad'' Most ingredients that are good you know them, I mean they( as in the people behind the product) have no reason to hide them in weird chemical names. But c'mon that example was so not on the point. Gasolinte - not food ingredient , Phytochemical - found in fruits where there is no reason to look on the nutritional label.

When I am ignorant of something, I don't think it's a reasonable assumption to assume that it is bad. I think it would be better to find out what it is and then decide for myself.

That's what I said, look it up, google some articles about bad ingredients and convince yourself. Considered the food industry nowadays you should really know the bad ingredients.

That isn't what you said. You said that one should avoid buying a product if they cannot pronounce a name on the label. I'm not sure what "bad ingredients" you're referring to.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ...intermittent fasting.....one day I went to bed withOUT eating dinner and had excess calories on the books. a few days later, had my biggest one day loss in quiet awhile. Not for everyone, but there is value in it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Dont eat everything you want, a calorie deficit is not enough as long as you're still eating proccesed food. Here's my advice: Start eating good home cooked meals rich in protein as well as fats and carbs. Reduce sugar intake to almost none or at least 5-6 tspoons/day. Eat fruits. And one personal advice that I recommend when one wants to loose weight fast: use intermittent fasting. Google it, research it and apply it. Youre gonna feel great and you are gonna loose weight, trust me! Oh, and keep the calorie deficit, that is important too. Good luck!

...No. You don't need to cut out processed food, or reduce sugar. And you don't need intermittent fasting (I know you didn't say you need it, just saying). You just need a calorie deficit. You can still lose weight perfectly easily eating those things you've said to cut out.

I know you all want to belive that but I know what I'm saying. Processed food is bad. I tried both ways, a deficit in calories where I ate pretty much what i wanted to cover those calories and another one where I carefully cooked all my meals and reduced my sugar intake. The results were beyond comparison. You maybe say that because even if you eat processed food you probably don't gain that much fat (alotough I don't know that) Each of us burn calories at different rates and that is because of our lifestyle and our metabolism, which works different for each of us.

What I said above about reducing the sugar intake to 6 tsp/day was actualy what is recommended by the The American Heart Association.( And in my opinion I think it should be less)

As for Intermittent fasting, it's just something I tell people to try, it's really awesome once you get used to it.

Again, just my personal opinion. Don't get mad at me :smiley:

I'm gonna have to agree with you!

All processed foods have "stuff" in them that the body does not recognize. The body tries, and eventually it does get digested. But if your body is stuffed to the gills with this stuff, the body will then make a decision. It's first priority (via liver and kidneys) is to eliminate toxins. If the kidney gets overworked then it becomes the liver's responsibility to pick up the slack. That is why water is so important -- it's a vehicle to wash away the toxins. No water then you are in trouble. When the liver gets overwhelmed it starts making fat deposits, to cache as it were all the excess calories to so that it can focus on getting the toxins out of the body first. So when you keep eating processed food, day in and day out well you're gonna have a hard time loosing weight, not impossible but definitely a slow down. Young people think they can eat like this forever, but each person's body will decide. Remember that guy who ate nothing but McDonalds for a month? Not only did he get overweight, his body was literally ready to shut down!

(and read up on how the body processes alcohol...fascinating...the body considers it a toxin and it will do everything to get it processed first before that first bit of fat.....if you're gonna drink make sure you have twice the calorie deficit so that you can still see some weight lost...)

So what do you have to lose (some pounds)? Try it. Cannot hurt. Just try for one week and see what results you will get. And make sure you drink lots of water every day. Come back and report.

Sources, please. Completely legit nerd asking for studies.
  • BogdanMih
    BogdanMih Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Dont eat everything you want, a calorie deficit is not enough as long as you're still eating proccesed food. Here's my advice: Start eating good home cooked meals rich in protein as well as fats and carbs. Reduce sugar intake to almost none or at least 5-6 tspoons/day. Eat fruits. And one personal advice that I recommend when one wants to loose weight fast: use intermittent fasting. Google it, research it and apply it. Youre gonna feel great and you are gonna loose weight, trust me! Oh, and keep the calorie deficit, that is important too. Good luck!

Nope!

You can eat whatever you want. Overall calories are what is most important. Eliminate processed foods only if that is something you will do for years to come (lifestyle change).

Reduce sugar to almost none? Why? Again, if this is not a lifestyle change.......you'll be back

Elimination diets don't work because temporary changes yield temporary results.

Intermittent fasting is just a method (another method) to reach a calorie deficit......nothing more. PROPER, true intermittent fasting is the same calorie deficit.....not more. So it won't be any faster than other methods.

TRUE STATEMENT: Oh, and keep the calorie deficit, that is important too.

Yes. My advice was more for a lifestyle change rather than a simple weight loose. All I was saying in the first post is that she can try those things (harsh as they are) because they have benefits and she will loose weight faster and 'cleaner'.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

...No. You don't need to cut out processed food, or reduce sugar. And you don't need intermittent fasting (I know you didn't say you need it, just saying). You just need a calorie deficit. You can still lose weight perfectly easily eating those things you've said to cut out.

I know you all want to belive that but I know what I'm saying. Processed food is bad. I tried both ways, a deficit in calories where I ate pretty much what i wanted to cover those calories and another one where I carefully cooked all my meals and reduced my sugar intake. The results were beyond comparison. You maybe say that because even if you eat processed food you probably don't gain that much fat (alotough I don't know that) Each of us burn calories at different rates and that is because of our lifestyle and our metabolism, which works different for each of us.

What I said above about reducing the sugar intake to 6 tsp/day was actualy what is recommended by the The American Heart Association.( And in my opinion I think it should be less)

As for Intermittent fasting, it's just something I tell people to try, it's really awesome once you get used to it.

All processed foods have "stuff" in them that the body does not recognize. The body tries, and eventually it does get digested. But if your body is stuffed to the gills with this stuff, the body will then make a decision. It's first priority (via liver and kidneys) is to eliminate toxins. If the kidney gets overworked then it becomes the liver's responsibility to pick up the slack. That is why water is so important -- it's a vehicle to wash away the toxins. No water then you are in trouble. When the liver gets overwhelmed it starts making fat deposits, to cache as it were to get the toxins stored that it cannot deal with right then and there. So when you keep eating processed food, day in and day out well you're gonna have a hard time loosing weight, not impossible but definitely a slow down. Young people think they can eat like this forever, but each person's body will decide. Remember that guy who ate nothing but McDonalds for a month? Not only did he get overweight, his body was literally ready to shut down!

(and read up on how the body processes alcohol...fascinating...the body considers it a toxin and it will do everything to get it processed first before that first bit of fat.....if you're gonna drink make sure you have twice the calorie deficit so that you can still see some weight lost...)

So what do you have to lose (some pounds)? Try it. Cannot hurt. Just try for one week and see what results you will get. And make sure you drink lots of water every day. Come back and report.

What "stuff" in "processed food" does the body not recognize? Why does your body have to "recognize" something in order to digest it?

That stuff about alcohol, by the way, is completely false. I drank almost daily when I was losing weight, stayed right at my deficit, and lost weight regularly. Whether your body processes the calories first or last is irrelevant -- you don't need an extra deficit if you are drinking alcohol.

....and I'm gonna guess you are younger than 40, possibly younger than 30? When I was younger, I would drink like crazy and still could not gain weight. I could party like nobody. As I got older, it got harder to lose the lbs AND drink.

I'm 36. I didn't drink like crazy, I just logged the calories like any other food. Was your advice about doubling the deficit meant for those over age 30 or age 40 only? If so, maybe you should specify that.

Is this advice about a double deficit just based on your personal experience?
  • BogdanMih
    Options
    @BogdanMih I also have goldfish crackers in my cupboard. Everything in moderation, eh?

I'm not a fan of the ''everything in moderation'' concept that most people use. When you eat mostly home cooked meals like you do for example, some cheats now and then are fine. I have my own ''everything in moderation'' concept where I advise people to enjoy those cheats in moderation, and use their common sense. Check the nutrition labels to avoid anything high in fats, sugars, and chemicals you can’t pronounce. If it has high contents of fats or sugars and you still want to eat it make sure you really "pay'' for that one. (ha ha, I'm joking).

I can pronounce all of the chemicals. Even if I've never seen the word before, I can pronounce it. I might not hit the right accented syllable, but I probably would.

Your ability or inability to pronounce a word should not be the determinator of whether you eat it. We can all pronounce "gasoline," but that doesn't make it okay to swallow. We cannot all pronounce "phytochemical", but those would be great things to ingest.

This really wasn't my point. That's a great example you just made there but it's really not on the point. "chemicals you can’t pronounce" I used it as an expression, don't take it literally.

You told someone they should check the nutrition label and avoid anything that had a "chemical you can't pronounce." You just meant that as an expression and not as something they should actually do?

No, you should avoid them. But I'm not from UK or USA, I don't know how you use it. Here I say it like "if you don't know what it is, look it up but it's probably bad'' Most ingredients that are good you know them, I mean they( as in the people behind the product) have no reason to hide them in weird chemical names. But c'mon that example was so not on the point. Gasolinte - not food ingredient , Phytochemical - found in fruits where there is no reason to look on the nutritional label.

When I am ignorant of something, I don't think it's a reasonable assumption to assume that it is bad. I think it would be better to find out what it is and then decide for myself.

That's what I said, look it up, google some articles about bad ingredients and convince yourself. Considered the food industry nowadays you should really know the bad ingredients.

That isn't what you said. You said that one should avoid buying a product if they cannot pronounce a name on the label. I'm not sure what "bad ingredients" you're referring to.

Actualy I did say it. I said what I meant by that. You all grabed every little thing and missed the point. It's like you're saying to me that it's nothing wrong with eating chaotic and not look on the nutritional label on SOME products. Despite all I'm hearing calories are not the only ones that matter. Read Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism by S. Gropper, J. Smith, J. Grof. It's all there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Nope!

You can eat whatever you want. Overall calories are what is most important. Eliminate processed foods only if that is something you will do for years to come (lifestyle change).

Reduce sugar to almost none? Why? Again, if this is not a lifestyle change.......you'll be back

Intermittent fasting is just a method (another method) to reach a calorie deficit......nothing more. PROPER, true intermittent fasting is the same calorie deficit.....not more. So it won't be any faster than other methods.

Yes. My advice was more for a lifestyle change rather than a simple weight loose. All I was saying in the first post is that she can try those things (harsh as they are) because they have benefits and she will loose weight faster and 'cleaner'.

She will not "loose" weight faster. Her weight loss "clean" or not, will be at the same rate.

EVERY single man, woman, and child on the planet is not going to be (added) sugar free, "clean" eating FOREVER. There are thin people who don't eat clean....I've seen them, they exist. Why would you assume that eating "clean" is going to be everyone's lifestyle choice.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Actualy I did say it. I said what I meant by that. You all grabed every little thing and missed the point. It's like you're saying to me that it's nothing wrong with eating chaotic and not look on the nutritional label on SOME products. Despite all I'm hearing calories are not the only ones that matter. Read Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism by S. Gropper, J. Smith, J. Grof. It's all there.

I'm trying to understand your point. If you don't mean that people should avoid foods if they can't pronounce the name of an ingredient or component of the food, what do you mean?
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    What is one of the first things people do when they find out they have cancer, they change the the foods they eat from processed to organic. And to be frank the raw food diet has an amazing affect on the body. Food is medicine.

Now, you can keep eating the processed stuff if you want to, and sometimes I get weak at the knees and imbibe...it does taste good (and there is a reason for that) but I know it's not the prime way to feed this organisim without some dire results.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    What is one of the first things people do when they find out they have cancer, they change the the foods they eat from processed to organic. And to be frank the raw food diet has an amazing affect on the body. Food is medicine.

Now, you can keep eating the processed stuff if you want to, and sometimes I get weak at the knees and imbibe...it does taste good (and there is a reason for that) but I know it's not the prime way to feed this organisim without some dire results.

Some people may do this when they receive a cancer diagnosis, but I don't think it's true to say that people do that across the board.
  • BogdanMih
    Options

Nope!

She will not "loose" weight faster. Her weight loss "clean" or not, will be at the same rate.

EVERY single man, woman, and child on the planet is not going to be (added) sugar free, "clean" eating FOREVER. There are thin people who don't eat clean....I've seen them, they exist. Why would you assume that eating "clean" is going to be everyone's lifestyle choice.

*loss (my bad)

I didn't force anyone and i don't assume anything. Those thin people do exist and that is mainly because of their metabolism which is gonna change at some point and then it's not gonna be pretty. I also know about a term called TOFI (Thin on outside, Fat on inside). I'm not saying that all thin people are like this but eating with lots of sugar - chaotic if you don't mind me saying - is gonna have an impact on you at some point.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Nope!

I agree with a lifestyle change for health reasons. For weight loss science says you will lose the same amount at the same rate if you eat lets say 1400 calories in cookies and pizza or if you eat 1400 calories in steamed broccoli and lean turkey breast.
    On a side note Bogdan, i see your in Romania. Im Romanian too, born in Timisoara, living in the US since 1980...
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Nope!

*loss (my bad)

I didn't force anyone and i don't assume anything. Those thin people do exist and that is mainly because of their metabolism which is gonna change at some point and then it's not gonna be pretty. I also know about a term called TOFI (Thin on outside, Fat on inside). I'm not saying that all thin people are like this but eating with lots of sugar - chaotic if you don't mind me saying - is gonna have an impact on you at some point.

Wait, are you saying it's impossible to maintain weight as you age unless you eliminate added sugar and "eat clean"?
  • BogdanMih
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

Nope!

I agree with a lifestyle change for health reasons. For weight loss science says you will lose the same amount at the same rate if you eat lets say 1400 calories in cookies and pizza or if you eat 1400 calories in steamed broccoli and lean turkey breast.
    On a side note Bogdan, i see your in Romania. Im Romanian too, born in Timisoara, living in the US since 1980...

Yes ,the main factor remained the calorie deficit, maintaning that calorie deficit you will lose weight, faster or slower depending on what you eat that is still debatable.

Also on a side note, that's really cool, nice to meet ya' :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

All processed foods have "stuff" in them that the body does not recognize.

No they don't. (1) Are you using a unique definition of processed? Plain greek yogurt is processed. Flour is processed. Tofu is processed. Smoked salmon is processed, as is boneless, skinless chicken breast. (2) What does it mean for the body to "not recognize" something?
    The body tries, and eventually it does get digested.

We are much more likely to get fat from foods that are easy to digest. (Most highly processed foods, as well as sugar and fat, are quite easy to digest. Fiber is not.)

The rest about toxins and all is just bunk.
  • BogdanMih
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

No they don't. (1) Are you using a unique definition of processed? Plain greek yogurt is processed. Flour is processed. Tofu is processed. Smoked salmon is processed, as is boneless, skinless chicken breast. (2) What does it mean for the body to "not recognize" something?

We are much more likely to get fat from foods that are easy to digest. (Most highly processed foods, as well as sugar and fat, are quite easy to digest. Fiber is not.)

Exactly. Fiber takes a lot more time to be absorbed into the body, sugar is absorbed imediately and transformed into fat by the liver, also imediately. So what you are saying doesn't make sense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Exactly. Fiber takes a lot more time to be absorbed into the body, sugar is absorbed imediately and transformed into fat by the liver, also imediately. So what you are saying doesn't make sense.

How does what I am saying not make sense?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @BogdanMih and @mysteps2beauty technically, if I pick a strawberry from my garden and throw it in the freezer I have processed it, so here on the MFP forums I say Ultra Processed and refer to the Brazilian definition.

Short version: http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/food-dietary-guidelines/regions/brazil/en/
    Full doc: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf
  • BogdanMih
    Options

How does what I am saying not make sense?

Where I'm from It's really late right now, I read the exact opposite. Really sorry.
  • BogdanMih
    edited October 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @BogdanMih and @mysteps2beauty technically, if I pick a strawberry from my garden and throw it in the freezer I have processed it, so here on the MFP forums I say Ultra Processed and refer to the Brazilian definition.

Short version: http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/food-dietary-guidelines/regions/brazil/en/
    Full doc: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf

The word processed can mean a lot of things when it comes to food. I find it hard to belive that you didn't get the point from all these posts.