Protein too much?

Options
ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have a friend highly suggesting to follow 50P/25C/25F approach to really shed fat, but that would be like 180-225g of protein.
Is it really that necessary? If I weigh 155lb,woman, 25%BF? I workout 45 minutes 5 times a week with 1800 calories. I have 12ish weeks to lose as much as I can (healthily)

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No it's not necessary

But you should have a minimum protein level

0.64-0.8g protein per lb bodyweight as a minimum ..some say 1g but there's been studies to say it's not any further benefit

There's no harm in eating more but it's not required
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    That much protein is not necessary. And eating more protein will not help you shed fat.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    Not necessary at your body weight. I use 1 gram per body weight, just because it's easy to remember. When I'm eating at maintenence I do 134-156 g Protein, 75g fat and the rest in carbs. When I'm cutting calories I try to cut fat to 50 grams, keep protein the same, and everything else is carbs.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Should it be 1 gm per ideal body weight or actual?
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options

I'd like to know this, too.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Not necessary, but i personally found that eating high protein, low carb and low fat resulted in the easiest/quickest weight loss for myself in the past. Even now when I'm at maintenance/gaining and have my ratio set to 45 carb, 35 protein, 20 fat, this results in 180-210 grams of protein per day
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    1g in LBM but most don't know their body fat percentage

The 0.64g-0.8g on bodyweight guideline is based on some published research showing that even professional athletes / bodybuilders see no additional benefit beyond that ...but view it as a minimum to achieve

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    protein requirement guidelines are 0.8-1.5 gm of protein per Kg of body weight, depending on your activity level, it's actually a lot lower than most people think. A 150 lb person is 68 kg and therefore guidelines would recommend 68 of protein in a day. I eat way more protein than these baseline requirements. It should also be based on your actual weight not ideal.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    protein requirement guidelines are 0.8-1.5 gm of protein per Kg of body weight, depending on your activity level, it's actually a lot lower than most people think. A 150 lb person is 68 kg and therefore guidelines would recommend 68 of protein in a day. I eat way more protein than these baseline requirements. It should also be based on your actual weight not ideal.

Source?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Meh, I eat a bunch of protein. I'm 117 pounds, but I eat anywhere from 100 to 190 grams of protein per day depending on how active I am. I follow a 40C/30F/30P ratio because I feel that's what works best for me and keeps me feeling satiated. I echo the statements about getting a minimum amount of protein per day, but you don't need to aim for as much as your friend is telling you to each day. Start smaller, see how your body feels, and change your macros from there.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »

Not related but your profile pic is so cute! Haha ☺️
  • ANT98
    ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

Not related but your profile pic is so cute! Haha ☺️

Haha thanks! Watched finding nemo and chose this fishy haha
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start with 35/35/30

• 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    BmajRvXCAAArXt3.jpg
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Generally per your goal weight, since it's really properly calculated from lean mass, and for the obese, eating 1g per actual current weight could be hard on the liver, which can only break down protein so fast.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    it's really properly calculated from lean mass, and for the obese, eating 1g per actual current weight could be hard on the liver, which can only break down protein so fast.
    You can eat to much protein and it can harm your health. Usually this only happens when people are getting protein from supplements. My starting weight was 237 and my goal weight is 125, I aim for 90 grams and my body can not absorb even that much most days and some of it gets excreted into my urine.