detoxing safely

Options
I really need to know if there are any safe Detoxing. I have major issues with constipation and I have seen my Dr about it,but all I get is pills for constipation. They work for a while and then im at it again.thank you for any help.

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If your liver and kidneys are properly functioning they do all they detoxing you need. Colonics and detoxes are generally just laxatives, which is what you have been perscribed. Do you have GI issues that have been diagnosed? Have you been tested for food allergies?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, the your liver and kidneys are the only detox your body needs, or should have.
  • heber426
    heber426 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My Dr. Has done all the testing and im good. But I have always had constipation issues.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    heber426 wrote: »
    My Dr. Has done all the testing and im good. But I have always had constipation issues.

Sounds like possible issues with fiber consumption
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

I agree with the premise of this. If you are not testing positive for any GI disease or allergies then it is likely dietary.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

There's a reason your didn't prescribe a cleanse
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    get plenty of water and fiber in your diet and see how that goes.also if logging food maybe look at the days its worse and see what you did differently or what foods you may have or have not eaten, could make a big difference.I notice I get constipation more when I eat meats like chicken,beef,etc. now Im not saying thats the cause or to stop eating those things,but the 3 weeks I ate mainly fruits,veggies,dairy(I ate mostly fish for my main protein) I had no issues(I was getting plenty of water and fiber before and after the change). its worth looking into or trying for a short time just to see if that makes a difference(if you eat meat that is)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

I agree with the premise of this. If you are not testing positive for any GI disease or allergies then it is likely dietary.

I agree.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Your body detoxes itself. Try fiber.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    As others have said, there is no such thing as "detox"ing. Your doctor didn't prescribe you "a detox" because there isn't anything wrong medically with you and your liver and kidneys detox your body.

It sounds like you really just want some help with constipation.

I say:
    1.) Increase total fat intake in your diet (tip: you can try adding coconut oil to coffee, my friend who also deals with constipation says it helps her go within 30 minutes)
    2.) Increase the amount of fiber you're eating. Both in foods and if you must metamucil caps/powders.
    3.) Increase the amount of water you are drinking!

See if those suggestions help you. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Perhaps add more fats and oils.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What's your daily fibre, fat and water goals?

I have always had the problem too, If I stay above 35g of fibre minimum, drink plenty of water and don't skimp on fat I'm usually all good.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I have always had the problem too, If I stay above 35g of fibre minimum, drink plenty of water and don't skimp on fat I'm usually all good.

Christine, what kinds of things do you eat to get to that fiber number? I can't even get to 20g most days.

OP -

Ensure you're getting plenty of fat, fiber and fluids (ideally water, but other beverages can be just as good). If your doctor hasn't found anything wrong, odds are you're too low on one or more of those things.

~Lyssa
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat plums, prunes, peaches, pineapple, peas, (red) pepper. If it starts with P it will make you poop.

So happy that the diaper days of parenting are behind me.

(Also, be sure you have enough fat in your diet.)
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This was the same issue I had that in part made me go gluten-free and later on diagnosed with non-celiac gluten sensitivity by my doctor. Not everything can be diagnosed through clinical testing. Some things can only be found through an elimination diet. A detox won't help you discover what is potentially causing the problem.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Fiber, fluids, and fats to help with constipation. No "detoxing" required.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

Christine, what kinds of things do you eat to get to that fiber number? I can't even get to 20g most days.

OP -

Ensure you're getting plenty of fat, fiber and fluids (ideally water, but other beverages can be just as good). If your doctor hasn't found anything wrong, odds are you're too low on one or more of those things.

~Lyssa

Lyssa I have a fibre powder that I bought from my health shop, I add it to smoothies or a drink. I also have 2TBS of chia seeds everyday. Those along with some fruit and vegies usually get me there.

ETA: The fibre powder is ground Oatbran, Flaxseed, psyllium seeds, psyllium husks

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Prunes - they're not just for old people. :+1:

Also try rolling a softball in a circular motion around your belly, in a clockwise direction.

If you set your food log so it's visible to us, others can give feedback on it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No cleanse here to make that go away. Doctor did not prescribe one, because there is not one.

I would say someone such a dietitian or nutritionist could look at what you eat and take your medical history and work out nutritional issues. I think changing your diet may be in order since doc ruled out GI issues.
  • LuvtoBeme1
    LuvtoBeme1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I detox about three times a year. This is what I am going to do this time.
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Skinny+Teatox
    Every now and then the body needs a bit of a boost. As far as regularity is concerned try adding ground flaxseed to activia.Roughage is a major need to...Everyone's body is different. Just try to see what healthy option is best for you. Good Luck!