Runners... what is this about?

Options
I have been increasing my mileage in prep for a marathon, and after my long run on the weekend my weight jumps up. My weight has gone up by about 3-4 pounds since I have been training more. I am not overeating. I am being very careful about what I am eating. I HAVE increased my protein intake to help repair muscle. I think some of it is body composition changes to more muscle and some is my body holding on to water from injury as I am building mileage. I do notice the scales go back down a couple of pounds a day or so after my long run on the weekend. I have increased my mileage during the week, too. It is just discouraging seeing the scales go a little crazy. I know, I know! I am not supposed to pay that much attention to the scales yada yada yada, but still. Anyone else ever go through this?

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the exact mechanism but I think it has to do with your body retaining water or the swelling that occurs after a LR. I have moved my post-marathon weigh-ins to Tuesday because of this.
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    Don't guess I have an answer for you - as I have been increasing my mileage, I also have seen my weight jump after my long runs, but unlike you, I know mine is a result of my eating - I have been really "rungry" after the long runs. All I can say is I get it - I understand the frustration, more so for you since you can't point to a cause like I can. Anyhow, good luck with the weight and the marathon training!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one that GAINS after running long!!!! I wish I knew why this happens too!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Happens to me, too. I don't weigh until 2-3 days after a long run.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I've increased running and biking mileage that I gain or stall at weight. However, my clothes are still getting looser. I've read that it's water weight as a byproduct of your muscles repairing from the damage done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Water...the more intense the workouts, the more water your body needs for repair of that muscle tissue. When I take a rest week I easily drop 5-8 Lbs during that week of just water.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I typically get a bump in the scales after a long run. The more sore my legs are the more noticeable the difference. It's just water retention for muscle repair. Don't worry about it. Perfectly normal and it isn't fat so there's nothing to be alarmed about.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I wondered about this also. I did C25K earlier in the year and I would get a drop from the water weight. Then I starting pushing longer and longer until now I run 6-10 miles most of the time and I noticed that when I do 2 of those long runs in a weekend it definitely reversed my trend of being down the morning after. Immediately after an 8 mile run I will be 3 or 4 pounds down (if I take my soaked clothes off :bigsmile: ) but then I suck up water like a sponge.

EDIT - I also notice when it is going to happen, late in the run my fingers swell.
  • thenewmanda
    thenewmanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me, but goes down after a few days. I pushed back my weigh in days so I'm not frustrated with the scale after a long run.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've ran 5 marathons and I usually gain weight when I'm high mileage weeks. I then tend drop 5 pounds during the taper weeks. Keep at it. If it's your first you may be gaining a lot of muscles in your legs which may add weight, but who care, your legs will look great.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would agree that it's the water (and glycogen) retention in your muscles. You know it's temporary so don't worry about it.

And nothing wrong with weighing daily, just don't let the little ups and downs upset you - especially the completely justifiable ones like this. Hell, I was up 3 pounds this morning but I know it's because it's crazy humid and I ate way too much sodium yesterday. You'd think coming in under calories and getting a good run in would earn me a loss but the body disagrees.

Drink your water, do some good stretching and it'll be gone in no time.
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    That kind of weight gain is usually due to a combination of everything you said. There is a swelling in the body that occurs everywhere after a long run for the body to repair various tissue (muscle, skin, etc) as well as the body attempting to increase mitochondria and capillary density. Do not get frustrated by the weight gain, it wouldn't be any sort of fat gain, more your body attempting to bring everything back to normal after increase in exercise stress. Hope that helps!
  • huck23
    huck23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It is most likely water retention due to the inflammatory response in your muscles after the long runs.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It's obviously not just you, but it's well known that weight jumps up for a few days post long run (I've also heard it's water retention while the body repairs). I'm counting calories on mfp and eating 1200 a day plus eating back all my calories burned while running. On Friday/Saturday, I weighed in at 141.5. I stuck to eating my calories all weekend, going over by 400 on Saturday, but that would still be a deficit for the weekend. Yesterday I ran my LR of 12 miles and ate not only my 1200, but also the 1200 I burned while running (of course 200 of that was in GU and 200 was a post-run clif bar, but still, ended the day at 2400 total, 1200 net). I weighed in this morning at 146.1, a gain of 4.6 pounds. Clearly I didn't eat an extra 16,100 calories, especially above maintenance (considering I'm eating a deficit). It happens to me every single week. I weigh in on Friday's and I know by then, I'll be back down, and likely under, 141. I just don't let it bug me, but it makes me feel better knowing it happens to all runners post-long run!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Bump! As I've been running more and more, I've noticed this too. Thanks for starting this thread! :)
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! It is good to know I am not alone in this!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Im not sure of all the dynamics in play in retaining fluid after running, but I understand that edema is one of them. Maybe we can get a medical professional in here to help.

Exercise-induced Peripheral Edema

Exercise-induced edema is a common occurrence affecting athletes and joggers. The swelling usually presents on the hands, legs, and sometimes on the face.

Swelling during exercise is caused by a physiological response to the redistribution of blood during the exertion caused by exercises.

While the exact mechanism of edemas caused by swelling is not fully understood, a basic knowledge of edema and the way the body works can be used to explain how exercises may cause swelling in some people.

During exercises, the organs receiving the most blood are the lungs and heart. This means that blood flow to the limbs is lower. To compensate for the reduced blood flow to the limbs, the blood vessels supplying those body parts expand as they try to get more blood into the area.

While the core muscles heat up during exercise, the limbs get colder. To reduce core heat, blood is pushed to the vessels closest to the skin to dissipate the heat as sweats.

Because the blood vessels are already dilated at the limbs, their permeability is increased. Therefore, when blood reaches the skin to dissipate heat, fluids leak out of the vessels into the extracellular spaces and this causes swelling of the limbs and face.

Long-distance runners suffer even more severe forms of edema during exercises. These athletes often suffer from hyponatremia (low levels of sodium in the body) because they drink too much water to combat dehydration.

Besides swollen fingers, hands and feet, hyponatremia can also cause mental confusion and vomiting. It is a medical condition that needs immediate treatment.

http://www.progressivehealth.com/edema-exercise.htm
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one... I gained 5 pounds since I started running in march and I know it's not the food.

I've been told I'm not eating enough, but I don't want to eat more and se a bigger gain :S

It's not easy!
  • Bonnieg318
    Bonnieg318 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is great thanks to the OP!! I have this same problem and I have been getting discouraged. I will for sure watch this from now on!!