Does anybody NOT weigh themselves?

Options
Hi all --

I am someone who never weighs myself and even avoids looking at the number when I get weighed at the doctor's office. It's not that I'm in denial about my weight, it's just that seeing the number 99 times out of 100 triggers a legit depression. Not just "Ugh, I'm so depressed, I'm so fat," but like a legit crying fit, won't talk to anyone for a couple days, don't want to leave my house depression. And coupled with that - a binge. You would think that being depressed about my weight would motivate me to eat less and exercise more, but for some reason even though I recognize this pattern, I don't seem to be able to change it. So I've made my peace with my decision to not weigh myself, because in the end it hampers my weight loss more than it helps it. So definitely not looking for judgement on that.

But my question for you peeps out there who DON'T weigh (if there are any of you, I realize this is a long shot), is how do you know when to change your calorie intake? It's supposed to be based on your weight, but if you've lost a bunch you should have a different calorie goal. So what's your solution?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I NEVER weigh myself, but I don't do it often like some people do, maybe once every two to three weeks. I can't imagine weighing myself daily like some people do. I tend to get super obsessed with the number on the scale, to the point of it being a distraction. For the sake of calorie adjustment, I think it is important to not go too long without weighing yourself. Checks and balances are super important.

I used to be the same way though, I really feared the scale and the huge number would freak me out and totally bum me out. After a while I realized that in the long run, denying the number on the scale was not going to do me any good.

7396232.png
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every few weeks. They scale is not my friend. I have only lost 2-4 pounds depending on the day, but my body has definitely changed. I suggest reading the post below. You eat the calories you would at your ideal weight instead of changing them. Makes it a little more easy for some.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options
    Im like you, i get depressed and not motivated and binge eat even more if I weigh myself constantly...
    My weight have been about the same ever since I had changed my lifestyle to be healthy and that has been in nine months so far..
    But after a long time I became to realize that my body has changed even if the scale doesn't say so. Its your bodyfat that matters not the scale:)
    So what i do I weigh myself once a month and with that number I check my bodyfat with a monitor that I have;)
    There you can change your calorie requirements as necessary
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that, mad and sad for days...but that was when I realized I didn't want to live like that and changed...and now the scale is just a way to measure progress. It's not a measurement of my self worth. But I actually found being honest and weighing myself every day was a better way to get over that than avoiding it. Admitting my weight to a friend was the next step. Avoiding it doesn't accomplish anything.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Before I starter to lose my weight, I never weighed myself. Like many of you it would upset me when I finally found out (like at the Doc's office) and then I would make bad decisions, eat because I was feeling terrible and the vicious cycle would continue. I went through a stage where I actually started to lose a little weight, and I was the complete opposite!! I weighed myself everyday!! I could not start my day if I did not step on the scale first. Now, I limit myself to once a week, on the same day and at the same time for consistency. Usually it is in the morning after I visit the bathroom and I have on no clothes. If you still wish to get an idea of what your progress is, I would recommend taking pictures of yourself (if this isn't too much for you because at first it was not an idea I was fond of at all), and measuring certain key points on your body (those you are most interested in). That way you can keep track of your progress without stepping on the scale. I usually take pictures and measure once a month on the same day every month. Hope it helps!