Is it possible to succeed without going to the gym?

Options
Is it possible to get to your goal just by walking and at-home workouts?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. But figure out a way to do lifting because with increased strength it also improves body shape.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    new_me70 wrote: »

It depends. What's your goal?
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    It entirely depends on what your goals are. It also depends on what work outs you intend to do at home and what equipment you have. Some people practically have a gym in their garage! If your goal is to lose weight, then you don't need to exercise although exercise can be helpful/fun/positive for general health. If your goal is to get fitter then there are plenty of equipment free work outs you can do from home.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Sure :]

If you are looking to build muscle mass, it may be a little trickier but there are MANY home exercises you can do to stay in shape and get fit. Look at all the work-out DVD's on offer! Not only that but google is full of some equipment-free routines!
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    new_me70 wrote: »

I think it would depend on your goals. Walking, running and similar cardio are awesome for giving you a caloric burn but they do little to increase strength or to retain muscle. Basically you will be thin but you will most likely have a flat booty.

Now if you were to add strength training via home video exercises that focus on strength training routines etc, you will feel strong, you will allow yourself more of a burn (allowing you to give you more room to eat!!!), give you a nice workout that works certain muscles making them pop out a bit and many other advantages.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You can 100% absolutely reach any goal without the gym. And I used to manage several gyms. They definitely serve their purpose but they are not the end all, be all to your fitness goals.

Now you will have to invest in some equipment depending on your goals. I own a couple pair of free weights, kettle bell, jump rope and a few other fitness toys. While I may not have all of the equipment at my disposal... There isn't one body part that I can't train

Working out at home has cut out any excuses for missing the gym. The only thing between me and my workout is getting out of bed and going into the living room
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It would also be a good idea to invest in some sessions with a personal trainer. If you're going to work out by yourself and at home... Your form has to be good. You don't want to injure yourself
  • hkrxj
    hkrxj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Two words for you fitnessblender. Their YouTube channel has a over 400 different workouts of all types including strength training.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Of course!! I lost weight through diet and doing at home workout videos (all free on youtube)/walking/running. I would never have stuck the hassle driving the 30 min each way to get to a gym each day, I prefer to spend that hour workout out at home.
    Been maintaining my goal weight/range for 2+ years and still working out 6 days a week :smile:
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Yes. I did. 5'10" 60 year old male started @ 220#s on July 5, 2015. Last Sunday, October 18, 2015 weighed in at 196.6#s. Haven't seen a gym. Have been walking/jogging/running depending on how you count speed. Got my 4 mile time down to under 44 minutes, averaging 11 minute miles. Have my toes to elbows plank time up to 1 minute 10 seconds and my pushups, always a weak point, up to 11.

Am looking into a set of adjustable dumbbells to add muscle and tone to this frame and have another thread asking for opinions.

Anything is possible. And the answer to your question is a resounding YES!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It does depend on your goals and your demeanor (some people can get easily sidetracked or bored at home), but it can happen.

I haven't stepped foot inside of a gym and have lost 80 lbs and have maintained it with ease for 2 and a half years. I do some type of workout or activity daily since I live a sedentary life.

For me the key was the finding out the type of workouts I enjoyed and didn't enjoy. I walk, use Youtube workouts, exercise dvd's and built up a home gym, which took some time.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! It might help to get yourself a few weights and equipment for home, and cardio can easily be done outside, or just jogging in place or doing exercise DVDs/youtube videos. My local library has a lot of exercise DVDs, you could see what yours has. There is also a whole class of exercises that uses your own body weight for resistance instead of expensive equipment, just make sure you have good form to not injure yourself.

It's definitely possible! Oh, and make sure you are eating clean, staying within your calories and drinking plenty of water. It will come off so much faster if you start in the kitchen.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I continued to lose although for a month, I couldn't attend my zumba class, but it's easier when I'm moving!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    hkrxj wrote: »
    Two words for you fitnessblender. Their YouTube channel has a over 400 different workouts of all types including strength training.

Co-signed. Fitnessblender has every imaginable type of workout and it's free!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Of course. People do it all the time.

If that is you in the pic, though, you have succeeded and don't need to worry about anything.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    There have been pro football players and other high level athletes who don't go to the gym and do mostly body weight exercises and cardio. You don't need equipment to get in shape, you need motivation to get in shape.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    hkrxj wrote: »

Co-signed. Fitnessblender has every imaginable type of workout and it's free!

Yes, Fitnessblender!! I did invest in a set of adjustable weights and I use them with the strength training videos that fitnessblender offers. That's really the only money I've spent though.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Of course, it's possible.I've never been to a gym, except for a brief spell around 1984 when I quickly realized it wasn't for me. I have a treadmill, a fitness trampoline, an exercise ball, a bike, a dog, and internet access for videos full of strength, flexibility, and cardio routines. Cleaning my own house instead of paying someone else to do it helps too. It's impressive the muscles you can use scrubbing your own shower.
  • new_me70
    new_me70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!