Continue 'Recomp' or lose more weight?

Options
PinkPixiexox
PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
edited October 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi every one :]

I've been eating at maintenance now for around 3 weeks (and enjoying it, I have to say!).

I'm 5ft2 and 125 lbs so technically a 'healthy weight'. I've starting a really decent lifting routine put together by my trainer as I'm currently what people call 'skinny fat'. I've been doing this for two weeks and I'm really enjoying my work-out's.

I started at around 157 lbs so I've lost 32 lbs of 'weight' in total. My 'problem areas' are my tummy. I have a flabby, wobbly stomach still. I also have wobbly arms still. I read up a lot on 'recomping' and decided that this was the way to go to gain some definition. I came to the conclusion that losing another 10 lbs or so wouldn't necessarily give me the body I desire (Fit, strong, defined).

There are many women on here who are the same height as me but have lower goal weights (105 -110lbs) and I was wondering if I was jumping into maintenance too soon? Is recomping a realistic idea for me now? Is it necessary to lose more? I know I technically have room to 'lose' more but not sure if that's the answer..

Put it this way - I have a very fit friend who is the same height and same weight as me - yet she looks a good 10 lbs lighter. She is 'recomping' and succeeding.. :)

Thoughts would be great! Thanks!

ETA - I am tracking BF% now. Currently at 22% - looking to get to around 18-20%.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are enjoying maintenance, its great isn't it :smile:

Don't worry about other peoples goals/weights, you do what works for you - I'm quite similar to you, I'm happy at 132lbs 5ft2 (I know I easily look 10lbs lighter than I actually am but then throughout my weight loss journey I have consistently ran/walked etc with some lifting). I am also recomping, week 8 and seeing fantastic results - inch loss on my waist/tummy. I definately don't feel I need to lose any more weight. My arms that were slightly flabby are really firmed up with visible muscle already. My abs are also tightening up nicely, the top abs clearly visible now, there is still a layer of fat on my lower tummy but I know in time that will also get smaller and smaller.

If you're happy then stick with this, I know thats what I intend on doing.

I love being able to eat 2000+ calories a day :smiley:
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Recomp is known to be a slow process. 3 weeks aren't enough to evaluate your progress. Give it more time, you can start to cut again whenever you want.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    I'm glad you are enjoying maintenance, its great isn't it :smile:

Don't worry about other peoples goals/weights, you do what works for you - I'm quite similar to you, I'm happy at 132lbs 5ft2 (I know I easily look 10lbs lighter than I actually am but then throughout my weight loss journey I have consistently ran/walked etc with some lifting). I am also recomping, week 8 and seeing fantastic results - inch loss on my waist/tummy. I definately don't feel I need to lose any more weight. My arms that were slightly flabby are really firmed up with visible muscle already. My abs are also tightening up nicely, the top abs clearly visible now, there is still a layer of fat on my lower tummy but I know in time that will also get smaller and smaller.

If you're happy then stick with this, I know thats what I intend on doing.

I love being able to eat 2000+ calories a day :smiley:

Fantastic - thank you for clarifying and congratulations on your amazing progress :]

I'm definitely happy doing what I'm doing! I think I need to stop comparing my size with other people's sizes! I'm looking forward to seeing some results :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Patience!
    3 weeks when you are trying to change your body is a drop in the ocean.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    @PinkPixiexox keep up the great work :smile: I fully expect this recomp to take the guts of a year but sure we're in no hurry, we'll just keep improving bit by bit :smiley:
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I know I personally wouldn't be satisfied around at that weight even recomped, but I am one of "those" people on the low end on my bmi. If you haven't given it a serious try I'd stick it out a bit longer. I will say the last 5-8 lbs I lost with cardio and weight lifting I lost a bunch of inches. I used to have 26 inch waist at 105 at 5'3" but I usually measure between 22.5"-23" these days so losing even a few more lbs in my experience I can make a huge difference. So if you find you aren't getting the results you want try losing a few more lbs while keeping up the lifting and cardio and it might whoosh off like it did for me.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I know I personally wouldn't be satisfied around at that weight even recomped, but I am one of "those" people on the low end on my bmi. If you haven't given it a serious try I'd stick it out a bit longer. I will say the last 5-8 lbs I lost with cardio and weight lifting I lost a bunch of inches. I used to have 26 inch waist at 105 at 5'3" but I usually measure between 22.5"-23" these days so losing even a few more lbs in my experience I can make a huge difference. So if you find you aren't getting the results you want try losing a few more lbs while keeping up the lifting and cardio and it might whoosh off like it did for me.

For me, it's not so much about 'weight'. And this picture is why:

szp6m1aw0c08.jpg

What I'm saying is - The 'heavier' weight looks the best in this photograph, in my opinion. I need to build muscle to get a look like that. I can't build muscle in a deficit..
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    3 weeks is nothing. It took me 6 months at least to get rid of the wobble. Fat was there physically and there's a lot of SPACE where it was. Go with the recomp. It will make you feel healthier anyway. Then you can decide what to do.

And congratulations!
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    I generally don't know what to do now.

I'm not sure if it's best I cut my calories again and 'lose weight' or continue eating at maintenance?

• PinkPixiexox
    Options
    I know I won't see results in 3 weeks :]
    I'm not worried about that as such. This is a work in progress.

But I'm worried that I should really be losing more weight. I'm a little stuck
  • sijomial
    Options
    You simply have to give it more time before re-evaluating or you will just be flitting from one thing to another and achieving nothing. Or as my Mum would have described it - blowing around like a fart in a thunder storm. :)

Progress with your lifts, photos and measurements help but changes are subtle. Even those can "lie". My chest measurement stayed the same but I lost chest fat and gained bigger lats for example.

You do seem to be contradicting yourself when you say your priority is muscle and recomposition but then obsess about your weight. Put that energy into your training instead.

Suggest you give it 3 months not 3 weeks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why do you think you should really be losing weight?
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You simply have to give it more time before re-evaluating or you will just be flitting from one thing to another and achieving nothing. Or as my Mum would have described it - blowing around like a fart in a thunder storm. :)

Progress with your lifts, photos and measurements help but changes are subtle. Even those can "lie". My chest measurement stayed the same but I lost chest fat and gained bigger lats for example.

You do seem to be contradicting yourself when you say your priority is muscle and recomposition but then obsess about your weight. Put that energy into your training instead.

Totally contradicting myself, you're right.
    I guess I'm finding it hard to get out of that 'losing weight' mentality. I was 157 lbs a few months ago and at my height that was quite overweight. I'm now at a reasonably healthy weight yet there are so many conflicting ideas about what I should be doing. There are those that say continue to cut and then 'bulk' to gain the muscle. There are some that claim I'm still too big. There are some that think I should eat at a surplus NOW. It's all a bit confusing.

Would you suggest continuing eating at maintenance and lifting?
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options

why do you think you should really be losing weight?

Based on other women and their statistics. Now I'm the first person to say "Do not compare with others" - but I worry that recomp isn't possible for me. It's all very new and I'm still in the 'overweight' mindset.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I will just add that I did get within 5 pounds of my goal weight and decided I did not need to loose any more weight and started recomp in April of this year.

It does not happen over night but it does happen. My goals change each month as does my workout. I like the idea of not putting on a lot of extra weight (I can stay in my clothes for now) while I am building muscle. And yes I am loosing fat and building muscle at the same time.

I hope one day in the next couple of months I have some before and afters I can share publicly as I do not have the same body I did in April of this year. My profile pic is from April when I was just starting so you cannot see anything in that pic.

Pick a goal, stick to it for a month or so and if you are not getting results, change it up. Recomp is slow. I was at a weight I was comfortable with to start this process, so you need to decide if you want to loose a few more or not. No one can decide for you, but you have plenty of time and I am doing this for the long haul and enjoying it along the way.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Stop comparing yourself to others.
    Don't fixate on numbers.
    Don't major in the minors.
    Be patient.

I feel like I could post these four sentences in every one of your threads. You get great advice from lots of people about recomping and how long that takes. One person says they personally would want to lose more so now that's what you are focusing on...
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Don't fixate on numbers.
    Be patient.

I feel like I could post these four sentences in every one of your threads. You get great advice from lots of people about recomping and how long that takes. One person says they personally would want to lose more so now that's what you are focusing on...

I'm not disputing or disagreeing with what anyone is saying to me.
    Just takes me a little longer to 'get it' than most.

I just wanted to be sure I was suitable for body recomping at this point. I wasn't sure if there was a criteria for it? I am certainly not expecting quick results
  • sijomial
    Options

I guess I'm finding it hard to get out of that 'losing weight' mentality. I was 157 lbs a few months ago and at my height that was quite overweight. I'm now at a reasonably healthy weight yet there are so many conflicting ideas about what I should be doing. There are those that say continue to cut and then 'bulk' to gain the muscle. There are some that claim I'm still too big. There are some that think I should eat at a surplus NOW. It's all a bit confusing.

There's so many conflicting ideas because people have so many different goals, capabilities, knowledge and personal experience.
    Work towards your goals not someone else's.

As for going to surplus now - well that would work if your goal was to go from "skinny fat" to "fat fat".

You made your choice three weeks ago - now do it.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options

There's so many conflicting ideas because people have so many different goals, capabilities, knowledge and personal experience.
    Work towards your goals not someone else's.

As for going to surplus now - well that would work if your goal was to go from "skinny fat" to "fat fat".

You made your choice three weeks ago - now do it.

Thank you :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Don't fixate on numbers.
    Be patient.

I just wanted to add (in the nicest way possible) - I've been doing 'this' healthily for around 5 months. MFP became a community that I felt I could involve myself in and learn from. I came from an uneducated mind-set, knowing nothing of the process or the sensible way of doing things. I had a very disordered way of eating through plain ignorance and a life-time of insecurities. It is very, very difficult for me at times to simply 'not compare myself to others' or 'not to fixate on numbers' but thankfully, thanks to MFP - logic always kicks in and I breathe a little. You may suggest professional help to me - something I have sought and succeeded in getting previously. I use MFP for ongoing advice when I doubt myself and when I need re-affirmation.

I also use MFP to reach out to others and offer my kindness and my experiences too. My threads bother you and I understand the 'softly softly' approach isn't always what people need. But I can't apologise for reaching out either. There are some people, like me - that sometimes need a boost here and there. That sometimes need facts and a reminder. I do not have a support system around me in regards to weight loss and all involved with it so I do take advantage of the forum's. I have only ever offered kindness and understanding here. My aim isn't to 'annoy' or to have people repeat themselves. I appreciate every single bit of advice I am given. I may sound like a broken record and I'm hoping the community can overlook that and understand.