Adjustable dumbbells, is that a compound word or two words? Looking for opinions

Options
pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Among, BowFlex, Power Block and the Universal adjustable dumbbells; which do you think is the better buy for the home fitness male over 60, dangerously close to his weight lose goal, re-entering lifting. Not looking to "go crazy" just want more strenght and tone. Please explain you preference.

thank you

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with any of these but I wanted to suggest looking at the reviews for each of them on Amazon. Read the good reviews along with the bad.
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did a lot or research before buying mine and I ended up going with the Power Blocks. Power Block are definitely built WAY better than all of the rest, depending on the model they can be upgraded to include more weight should you need it, SUPER durable and also are not nearly as bulky as the Bow Flex. I have had mine for 3+ years now and they still look new...even after regular "hard landings" during heavy sets.
  • pondee629
    Options
    JayWalk39 wrote: »
    I did a lot or research before buying mine and I ended up going with the Power Blocks. Power Block are definitely built WAY better than all of the rest, depending on the model they can be upgraded to include more weight should you need it, SUPER durable and also are not nearly as bulky as the Bow Flex. I have had mine for 3+ years now and they still look new...even after regular "hard landings" during heavy sets.

Thank you, Jay. Any other opinions?
  • pondee629
    Options
    Only one opinion on dumbbells? I am surprised.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have adjustables Weider(sp). They are okay since I got them used for a fraction of the price. At full price...not so sure.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I had a set and didn't like them, but they were just the $70 Reebok ones, not the $300 Bowflex ones. It was a pain to adjust them and the weight plates always clinked together annoyingly while in movement.
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have read about the Athlean-X Blox, never used them, just another option for you.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I have the adjustable Bowflex ones and I love them. I don't think they're too bulky I can maneuver them just fine. I thought I would outgrow them as I progressed with 5x5 but I still use them for exercises I like to add in like pec flyes or overhead tricep extensions.