Roommates; Teasing

Options
Hey, all. Yesterday I made the decision to start working out and eating right and kinda turn things around for myself. I threw all my junk food out and went to the grocery store and spent a crazy amount of money on new healthy food as well as a food scale and some other gadgets. When I got home and started unloading all my stuff, my roommates started making fun of me, asking "are you going to be one of those freaky health people now?" and "ew only weirdos eat like that, what the heck are you doing?" It was really discouraging, and I hate having to feel embarrassed about my goals at home of all places. Does anybody have experience with a similar situation, and some corresponding advice?

(Also I'm in search of friends who will actually motivate me, so add if you want!)

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Stand tall and joke back. Have some one liners ready to go. You did something dramatic and they noticed. Better than if no-one noticed. Is this a communal kitchen? Protect your expensive foodstuffs.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First and most important, you need to learn to ignore others and feel confident in yourself. Your room mates are just that room mates. Not people who share the same goals as you and definitely not people who should affect your decisions about what to do with your life. There is no way that everyone will agree with you, and it is ok.
    If you feel bullied this is a more serious problem than just changing eating habits. If it is just them trying to be funny, just return the joke and move on. Do not let this affect you.
    Now, as a sidenote, eating healthy should not be terribly expensive. What are you buying that is that expensive? Because a lifestyle that costs too much does not sound sustainable for a student. It is possible to make healthy choices that are affordable. There are many "health" products out there which are not really needed at all (unless you enjoy them as treats of course) and could even stall weight loss, so try to keep it simple if you are worried about cost.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't have roommates, but when I started going for quick walks on my lunch hour and actually caring about what I eat my co-workers made quite a few comments. I would just let them talk though. I find the best response is usually the results. Just focus on making better decisions for yourself. If all they are doing is talking it should have no effect on you. Sticks and stones, right?
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Believe in you!!!
  • soadiane
    soadiane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    What are you buying that is that expensive? Because a lifestyle that costs too much does not sound sustainable for a student. It is possible to make healthy choices that are affordable. There are many "health" products out there which are not really needed at all (unless you enjoy them as treats of course) and could even stall weight loss, so try to keep it simple if you are worried about cost.

Honestly, more than anything, it's just that this costs more than my fabulous previous diet of instant ramen and hot dogs. It wasn't too terribly expensive. How important is getting organic stuff, etc. though?

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's okay. People tease people they like.

Personally, I don't bother with organic foods, since reading the actual law on organic certification and discovering that there are "natural" pesticides on organic crops, and sometimes a lot of them. I'd rather save my money for buying fish a few times a week.
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try being the only fat vegetarian in a family full of meat eaters and hunters. People will and do find any excuse to tease others. I just look at it as my way of making them feel good about themselves. My good deed for the day.
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you confide in yourself, then you shouldn't be swayed by someone else discouraging against it.