Upset with myself

Options
Im so upset with myself. Around 4 months ago I lost almost 30 pounds. Well I gained it all back. I feel like im addicted to food. I was doing so good. I looked at a picture that was taken of me over the weekend and I look horrible, I look sick.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You've lost weight before so you know how to do it. Get back to logging and when you get to your goal keep logging until you can let go. This is a lifestyle not a diet.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Many many people have lost weight and regained it. Probably the majority of people who lose weight regain it. No need to beat yourself up over it. But not EVERYONE who loses weight regains it. You can beat the odds. Going slowly and sustainably this time around will help. As well as figuring out what you have to do to prevent regaining. It's an assumption, but if food is a coping method for you (which 30lbs in 4 months suggests to me), spend some time thinking about what substitute coping methods might work for you.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Don't be upset ...... I had lost 78lbs back in 09/2010 with this site ... I let tradegy and life get in the way....I deleted my old account and gained everything back and then some ....took a few years off to find myself and came back in Jan of this year ....I was doing great lost 36 lbs then tradegy struck again ...I lost 4 people in 3 months ...This time I didn't give up granted I gained 30 lbs back but I came on here daily to chat with friends ...I finally told myself the 4 people that I lost wouldn't want me to give up on myself so I started tracking my food again .....Its a minor set back ....start logging your food again ....YOU CAN DO IT !!! :)
  • lindadprice
    lindadprice Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight and regained it several times. The worst was I spent a year getting in shape working out every week. I got down to 155 and still not happy with that. Christmas comes and I take almost two months off from exercising and gained a ton of weight. I ended up getting to my heaviest weight, I was stressed out because I hated my job and living with my inlaws wasn't helping either. Now I'm back in a routine and I'm losing weight again. You gotta make it your lifestyle.
  • goodxgirl
    goodxgirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need make a decision. Take one sentence which can motivate you and repeat it when you want to eat out of boredom. For example, when I feel urge to overeat, I say to myself: "Do you really need all of this? Leave it." And that's it. Decision to stop. Decision to take control over your body and mind. Find something that will move you into the right direction, and you'll be surprised.
  • Brumanatious
    Brumanatious Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One very important lesson that I have learned over the years is that I should never do something to lose weight that I am not willing to do for the rest of my life… Sure, I go to the gym more often when I am in the process of losing, but losing weight at a steady, healthy pace and doing it in a way that it does not deprive me or upset my lifestyle is very important. I have lost and gained several times in my life, but the last several years has been different because I am doing things that improve my lifestyle, make me happier, and still fit in to my overall life.

I understand being upset with yourself… But you absolutely can do this. You can do this, and you can do it permanently this time. Set yourself both short and long term goals, and make sure that your goals include ways to maintain your success. Don't deprive yourself, celebrate your successes (not with food ;)) and don't be afraid to be a little bit selfish when it comes to "me time" and asking for support.

Get it!!!
  • Brumanatious
    Brumanatious Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    PS - also, I absolutely understand the feeling of being addicted to food. What it comes down to is that when other things in your life feel out of control, food consumption is something that you can control… We don't like the results, but it's still something we can control and we seize that. Try to focus on what else is going on in your life… Focus on what you can control, what you can change, and try to let go of the things that you can't (for example, other people's choices and actions).
  • greenmaria
    greenmaria Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's the worst. I HATE gaining back weight I've lost. But like others have said, you lost weight before and you CAN do it again!
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This really resonated with me. The best thing about this forum is that you're not alone. No matter what the problem, there is normally someone who has experienced the same thing, has the same struggles and can either sympathise or advise. Keep coming here, keep logging, keep posting.

I totally agree with the post by brumanatious about feeling addicted to food and control. I have phases where I feel the same way.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Too many people look at a "diet" as something short term with an end goal and when they reach that goal they think it's okay to go back to eating the way they were previously thinking that they'll somehow magically stay at their goal weight. The trick is not to "lose weight" or "diet" but to make a lifestyle change that will support the weight you want to be. If you can do that, you won't gain back the weight. However, this entails keeping an eye on your weight on a regular basis so you can self-correct if it starts to creep up again.

One of the easiest ways to accomplish this, but not the fastest, is to figure out how many calories per day you'd need to be netting (calories eaten - calories burned in exercise) every day to maintain the weight you want to be. Then simply average that amount of calories every day for the rest of your life.

I'd suggest that you throw out your bigger clothes once you get smaller. If you don't have that "safety net" of larger clothes you'll have to make a decision if your current clothes get tight: re-focus on your diet or buy new clothes. It won't ever be a surprise then if you put on 30 pounds again, it'll have been a conscious decision.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I just logged back in here because I lost 30 pounds over the course of a year and have gain 10 of those pounds back in the past few months. Don't beat yourself up about it. You caught your behavior and you are fixing it. We've done this before, we can do it again. I know that all I have to do is not be lazy. Being lazy (with my food choices, with my activity choices) is what got me into this trouble. I thought I had done well and could take a break. Eh, there are no breaks really. You have to keep SOMETHING up! We aren't back to square one, at least, because we already know what works for us. Now we just have to do it!