What should my goal weight be??

Options
Hey all, I joined MFP a long time ago but never really 'got' the weight loss / exercise thing. I'm 5'2 and 187lbs, female with a large build (or is that just fat, lol?). I guess what I want to know is...what's everyone's opinion on what my goal weight should be? I've been 120lbs before and people said I didn't look good...but I'm clearly overweight now and wish I could get back to that starting weight! I dunno...I kind of think that seems unachievable and need some strong motivation. Would 140lbs be more realistic? Is that healthy for my height? I don't know these things!!

Thanks in advance :)
GMG

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    125 - 130 lbs would be at the upper end of the healthy BMI range.
  • GrumpymouthGirl
    GrumpymouthGirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    125 - 130 lbs would be at the upper end of the healthy BMI range.

Thanks, I have seen before that 120 is within my healthy BMI but some people said I looked unhealthy at that weight. Then again, they'd only ever seen me 150lbs or more in my adult life. I think 120 is realistic. Thanks again :)
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    u can always start with a goal of 140 and see how u look and feel at that weight. u want something u can maintain without killing yourself to do it. i like to set mini goals as well. say lose the first 10lbs. this can help keep u motivated over the long run. good luck!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I am currently 125 lbs :]
    I am happy here - despite, as Yarwell pointed out - I am at the 'upper end of healthy BMI'.

My advice? Forget BMI, forget what other people think and see how YOU feel at each weight goal you reach.
    What's ideal for one person, doesn't work for the next.