Does anyone else not tell people that you're trying to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I didn't mention it to anyone. Having people come up and ask u how it's going with the diet is annoying. I just waited till they came up and mentioned the difference.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I only talk about it with my husband and MFP friends. I have now lost enough that I need to go down a size or two. I am kind of dreading people noticing and asking me about it. Can't really see it with the baggy clothes. My plan is to just say I am counting calories and leave it at that.

I hate talking about my weight no matter where I am on the scale. My mind tries to say no one notices how big I am if it isn't discussed. A whole bunch of denial there!!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Great to know I'm not the only one! Thanks for all your responses! I totally agree, as a lot of you have mentioned, that it's an anxiety about being judged for how fast/slow you lose, and bc of not wanting failures to be so visible. I don't know how this will go, and I've already had a very up-and-down experience. I don't want to be scrutinized. I think it might make things harder. I'm already judging myself.

Thinking about the future, I'm not so sure how I'd feel getting comments once it's noticeable. In the past when I've been more active people have commented "hey you've lost weight" and because I never weighed myself I didn't think I had so it was really very distressing/embarrassing for me. I don't like being the centre of attention, and I definitely agree with @seltzermint555 there's something that feels unseemly about making a spectacle of myself. I guess I'm really very much an introvert in that way :)
  • marie1911xxxx
    marie1911xxxx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeap me to, I'm doing it in secret to, I agree with everything you said, fingers crossed I can keep it up
    . Good luck x
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people for exactly that reason...unsolicited advice. My husband is the only person who knows, and I have to set him straight periodically too lol. I just think it's best to keep these things to oneself. Unless of course you have someone who's on the same journey as you, etc.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Not only don't I talk about my desire to lose weight, I won't listen to anyone try to tell me what to do. If they do, I zone out. My close family knows, because I've lost a lot and been doing it for 6 months. I really don't even talk about it with them much . If it doesn't come up in conversation, I certainly don't bring up the subject.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Dorothy Parker got this right: 'Never complain. Never explain.' My mantra.