When your mother tells you (with a worried tone) that you look thin.

Options
I'm still 20% body fat (down from 25), and have slightly increased muscle mass, but I got this recently from my mother.

I don't want to worry her, but I'm determined to get my body fat down to 15%.

I guess a lot of mothers are like this, a friend of mine tells me that the mere fact that he doesn't live at home and eat his mothers food every day means that in her eyes he is too thin - despite him being 15 kilos heavier than when he last lived with his mother.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I think this is fairly common. As long as you are healthy (both now and when you reach 15% body fat) just keep reassuring her. It's a mom-thing. First of all, we were responsible for keeping you fed and alive and healthy for many years. If it seems like you are malnourished of course a mom is going to worry. It's normal.

Also, some people equate food with love. If you aren't eating their food in the quantities they think you should then it can be taken personally. Just keep letting her know that you are strong and healthy.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I get the opposite from my dad. I'm always fat, no matter my BMI. (I was 120 and 5'10" in my early 20's and he wanted to control my eating). He has issues. So as long as you are within a healthy range, ignore it.

It could be concern, or it could be grasping for control.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    My grandmother thought I was wasting away when I was in 30" jeans and weighed 170lb. I'm at 185lb now, and my grandmother would probably think I'm wasting away (down from 220lb) if she was alive now.

There isn't much you can do about it other than prove that you have a healthy apitite by eating her food :cookie:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Every time I visit I get "you look gorgeous, are you going to stop now?"

I stopped losing weight in February, Mother

"Yes but you don't want to get too thin"

Which is why I stopped losing weight in February, Mother

"Ok...but don't lose any more you look great"

OK mother I won't

To sister: seriously haven't you found a decent home yet?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

OK mother I won't

You should eat more, rabbit. ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LOL..wouldn't that be cannibalism?

Also from mother and generally in same breath "you could do with a haircut" cos one should not compliment without issuing an insult you know

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I think this is fairly common. As long as you are healthy (both now and when you reach 15% body fat) just keep reassuring her. It's a mom-thing. First of all, we were responsible for keeping you fed and alive and healthy for many years. If it seems like you are malnourished of course a mom is going to worry. It's normal.

Also, some people equate food with love. If you aren't eating their food in the quantities they think you should then it can be taken personally. Just keep letting her know that you are strong and healthy.

2nd all!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I see my mom 3 times a year and she tells me the same thing every single time. I just ignore her now and don't mention my weight at all (she stays here for a week though, so it's difficult, as she comments when I weigh my food etc, and she always brings my favorite food to sabotage me).
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    LOL..wouldn't that be cannibalism?

Also from mother and generally in same breath "you could do with a haircut" cos one should not compliment without issuing an insult you know

It would only be cannibalism if I had forgotten the comma. Good thing I English well. *phew*
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I can TOTALLY relate to this!

Every time I see my mum (every single Saturday!) she looks me up and down and repeats in horror "YOU'RE DISAPPEARING, THAT'S ENOUGH NOW!". I'm 22% body fat, hoping to get down to around 18%. I daren't tell my mum this as she won't listen to the logic and instead will think I'm trying to lose 'weight' when I'm actually at maintenance now! *laughs* I love my mum :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I dunno, maybe your clothes are hanging loose on you and it is time to buy something that fits you right for when you see her.
    ---
    It is normal for people to see a change in us and have concerns. After a while they will get used to the new look.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I got that from my daughter, lol.
    Now she is used to how I look at a lower weight so she doesn't say it anymore.
    Just do what's healthy and right for you and she'll eventually become accustomed to your new look.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    A lot of my family are fairly tall and thin so no-one really comments on it.
    Random older ladies at work always tell me I look like I need a doughnut or 6. I just ask if they've got one spare for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

OK mother I won't

You should eat more, rabbit. ;)

SNORT!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Is there something she does make that fits in your diet that freezes well that you could ask her to make for you so you can take it home. Sometimes a mom just needs to feel needed .
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she's just being a mom. So long as she doesn't sabotage you it's probably harmless.

I'm consistently trying to plump up my slightly underweight son (he's 3) but he just keeps using the extra calories to grow taller. Dang children.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    My mom used to drive me crazy with this stuff. Would love to have her back to drive me crazy some more.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Right around the 15% my mom changed her tone from being happy about my weight loss to concerned,
    The next time she visited the first words out of her mouth when I opened the door was, Bla bla too skinny bla bla bla
    So I just shot back with, hi mom, gee you are looking awfully fat.

Haven't heard a peep out of her on the subject since. However my dad downloaded the MFP app and has lost 20 lbs. :)
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options

OK mother I won't

At least she says you look gorgeous. I don't get that from my overweight family(love them by the way). All I get is "you're too thin".
    I pay it no mind. I have to be healthy and like what I see in the mirror. This is about ME!!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

OK mother I won't

Had to laugh at this because my mother sometimes gets fixated on things too. No matter how much reassurance you give her, she persists. Sometimes as a mother it is easier to offer "helpful" advice about things that we can fix like food and haircuts, rather than broken hearts or deviant behavior.