how much does muscle weigh?

Options
How much is a realistic amount to account for in scale xhanges when building muscle?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'd say a couple pounds.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Okay...here's the scoop: A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh exactly the same - a pound. The difference is in how much space each takes up in the body.

If you don't lose weight but you have lost size, then your fat has been burning off while your body has been building muscle. Muscle burns more calories when resting than fat does, as well, so even if you haven't exercised in, say, a day, if you have built muscle, there may still be a greater calorie burn in that day.

That's why I measure as well as do the scale. Right now, I'm a size allegedly that I was when I was in my teens (no, to me it simply does NOT look it, but I DO fit into those clothes - the proportions have changed in the last 30 years, however). My scale puts me at about 30 pounds MORE than what I was when I was in my teens. I know I have built muscle and am well-toned in certain areas. Not the areas I WANT more toning in (e.g. the tummy and middle and upper body) but I know it's true because the clothing sizes have changed.

I look at the scale, yes, but I also look at the size. Since my goal is not necessarily to be "light" - my goal is to be thin-ish and toned, size matters! :-D

But, remember, a pound of fat weighs exactly the same as a pound of muscle - fat is just a LOT bigger in the body.

Hope that clears things up!
    S.
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would say just a few pounds. It's going to take months to really build lots of muscle. If you are just starting or doing something new I think it's okay to contribute a pound or two to water retention for healing muscles too.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    slieber is correct. It is because of the density.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Here is a brief summary I recently came across:
    Are you eating enough? Muscle Gain 101

A known value of approximately 2800 kcal is required to synthesize a single new pound of muscle tissue. But extra energy (kcal) is not enough; we need building blocks, of course. At 16% protein, each pound (454 grams) of muscle tissue takes 70-73 grams of excess protein to build. (Remember, living muscle tissue is mostly water; it's not just contractile proteins. There's a lot more going on in size development.)

Which bring me to the calorie issue or the Bioenergetics or energy provisions.

Here’s an example:

2800kcal to add 1lb of lean tissue (historical/early research, amongst others like Dr. Mel Williams)

2800/ 7 days week= 400 extra kcals per days above and beyond maintenance needs.

So, a 176 lb male/female (80kg) = 1920kcal per day for basal metabolism + activity factor (i.e. 1.3 (moving, eating temperature control, etc) = about 2500kcal +, let's say 300kcal for energy needed to move some weights= 2800kcals just to maintain body weight. So that’s 4 meals of 700 kcals for each meal. That's a fair amount of food! For example, it would be 100 grams of CHO, 50 grams of protein and around 11 grams of fat for every meal. NOW, ADD THOSE 400 EXTRA KCALS from say clean, low fat foods and you can start to understand that it’s not easy. Anyone every tried to get 3000kcals CONSISTENTLY from like rice or chicken or whatever?

For most people, it almost maxes out their eating ability in a sense. Aside from that, there are also (area I really like) hormonal limitations. You can keep adding calories and protein and still have a good training stimulus (provided the big lifts), but if the hormonal stimulus is not there in your routine, sorry, you’re just not going to get there. Although it can be done, to gain OVER A POUND PER WEEK, the nutritional and hormonal environments really need to be extreme, again if over a pound/week.

This was written more from the perspective of someone who wants to gain mass, as opposed to someone trying to lose fat, but the general idea should be clear--it takes a LOT of work and effort to build muscle mass. The idea that one can easily "build muscle to burn more fat at rest" has been completely oversold by the various "fitness celebrities" out there.
  • bubbyroller2000
    Options
    The number of calories is largely irrelevant in the synthesis of muscle tussue. The amount of protein is. If I consumed 2800 kcal of glucose, went to the gym and lifted 10 tons over the course of the session. The only effect would be seriously painful arms the day after. The carbohydrate energy would burn first, allowing me to lift the weight, but there would be little in the way of muscle repair as I had not taken any protein. Most bodybuilders adopt a 40/40/20 ratio of carbs/protein/fats. With the energy provision ratio of 1:1:9 respectively (I.e. fat produces 9 times the amount of energy, per mass unit). The amount of protein, as a rough guide, should be double your bodyweight in grams. I.e if 70kg then 140g per day, to gain mass.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Per your ticker, you're tryng to lose weight so I assume you're eating at a calorie deficit (couldn't confirm as the last several days of your diary are blank). That said, it's pretty much impossible to gain muscle as you have no extra calories to build the tissue. There is such a thing as newbie gains but they're slight, especially for women. If you're seeing a gain, and somehow are sure your calorie intake is in check, it's probably due to water retention.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Per your ticker, you're tryng to lose weight so I assume you're eating at a calorie deficit (couldn't confirm as the last several days of your diary are blank). That said, it's pretty much impossible to gain muscle as you have no extra calories to build the tissue. There is such a thing as newbie gains but they're slight, especially for women. If you're seeing a gain, and somehow are sure your calorie intake is in check, it's probably due to water retention.

Yep this!^